Wanted: Pillow that is comfortable, light, and packs small

skunk

FNG
This may be equivalent to finding a unicorn... I don't know :D

I bought a Sea to Summit "Aeros Pillow Ultra Light" which is a single-chambered inflatable. It packs down super small but it is not comfortable for me. If you don't have it fully inflated, your head can just flop over to the less inflated side because of the single-chamber and I don't find it comfortable when it's fully inflated.

So I'd like something with a little more structure to it like maybe an inflatable with a bit of foam in there too for better support and multiple air chambers. What do you all recommend?

At home I sleep on a pillow that's filled with little wool balls ("wooly bolas" they call them) and I like that but it probably weighs over 4 pounds lol.

jolemons

WKR
Fleece stuff sack filled with your rain gear, puffy etc. is my preference

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Several of us went through and tried all the pillows we could find a year or so ago. All of us hated the inflatables, and all of us chose the medium Therm-a-rest Compressible Pillow. At 9oz it’s heavier than some, lighters than others, but is the only one that I felt was comfortable enough to carry the weight.

jarredelectric

Lil-Rokslider
Several of us went through and tried all the pillows we could find a year or so ago. All of us hated the inflatables, and all of us chose the medium Therm-a-rest Compressible Pillow. At 9oz it’s heavier than some, lighters than others, but is the only one that I felt was comfortable enough to carry the weight.

I assume the small is what everyone went with on the Therm a rest?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Nemo fillo for sure. Inflatable but with memory foam as well... Best backpacking pillow I have ever used.

Made two small, lightweight down pillows out of one queen size down pillow for the girlfriend and I. Both of our pillows can be stuffed into a stuff zack that is smaller than a two liter bottle. Very comfortable, can be stuffed and sized to your preference.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
Nemo fillo is awesome. your description of what you're looking for is pretty spot on for what the nemo offeres.

sveltri

WKR
I really like the Sea to Summit Premium Deluxe Pillow, I've never slept better when camping.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I don't personally use a pillow, instead opting for a stuff sack filled with my puffy, but I have a buddy that has been through a ton of them and now swears by the Exped Mega Pillow. He almost has me convinced that the 6.5 oz is worth it...

valtteri

FNG
I have both the Sea to Summit Aeros and Nemo Fillo.

I get a stiff neck pretty easily with a bad pillow. Usually pillows don’t have enough loft/height to raise my head high enough.

I didn’t like the Aeros so I got the Fillo. Didn’t like that much either. Then I read about some people using a Thermarest down pillow (Down Pillow | Camping Pillow, Backpacking Pillow, Lightweight Pillow | Therm-a-Rest(R)) on top of an Aeros. Didn’t think that would make much of a difference since I didn’t much like the Aeros on its own. I still got the Thermarest pillow because it was cheap.

It made all the difference! The Thermarest down pillow can’t really be used on its own since it really doesnt have much structure: it’s just basically down fluff. Combined with the Aeros however, you can blow up the Aeros to pretty firm and then get loft from the Thermarest. I find this to be a really nice combo that weighs pretty much the same as a Nemo Fillo.

Next I’m gonna try putting my LPP on a pullout and then putting the Thermarest on it. It’s funny, it seems I may be going back to the stuff-sack-and-clothes approach with the Thermarest.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fleece stuff sack filled with your rain gear, puffy etc. is my preference

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Me too. I sewed up some flannel pillow bags with zippers, and use puffy stuff to get the right elevation. Usually my coat and pants together is just right for me. I have a picky neck, and get headaches if it's not just right.

Trial153

WKR
I have the thermarest with the foam, its decent, small and light. That said i can use more size and volume if i dont have a stuff sack with a jacket to add to it .

Looks like the nemo fillow is well regarded...going to order one to try.

oldgoat

WKR
Klymit Static V or X can't remember for sure which letter it is, but only one of them exist so you should be able to figure it out

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
Mypillow travel pillow. My wife surprised me with these as a gift. They came in camo and ranger green(qvc special)

Didn’t think much of them at first, now I don’t camp without them. One of my favorite pieces of camp gear.

I use a Hyperlite Mountain Gear large, cuben fiber/with fleece on one side of it, zippered pillow. Turn it inside out with the CF on both sides and it’s a very water resistant dry bag (not waterproof because of the zipper), then turn it the other way, with the fleece on one side, and stuff it with clothing for a pillow. It weighs 1.5 oz.
96e4d73429a50d32f5fbff247686ef4b.jpg

76ba3851f164b6dc93ad852b11d932aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
NEMO Fillo here. Love it. I've never used anything else, besides clothes stuffed into something, but I can tell you it kicks the shit out of that nonsense.