What synthetic sleeping bag besides kifaru slick bag?

OP
G
Other companies use the same insulation as the slick bag. I think the price increase for the slick bag has a few factors at play. They are made in the US, the fabric shell seems much more durable compared to some other brands I have looked at, and they are larger than most other mummy style bags. I have a slick and two WM bags for different purposes. One of my WM bags has the GWS shell which seems pretty damn durable and the other WM is a lighter bag with a much lighter shell. While I haven’t had any issues with the lighter shell I would say that I am much more careful with that bag than I am the other two. I am pretty hard on things and have fairly large chest/shoulder so I chose the slick bag for those reasons. I have also heard great things about the hyperlamina but I like more room than what that bag offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info man! Bunch of great info here. The MH hyperlamina seems very intriguing and the reviews are solid on it as well. However Kifaru is dear to my heart so I feel like I would be breaking a commandment.

gwl79902

WKR
I have a mountain hardwear hyper lamera 0. I got it used at a gear store for 35 dollars. I think it packs up small for what it is. The weight is ok for a 0 degree bag like 3.5 pounds.

I have used it a lot and sleept in some low temps I would guess in the single digits. I slept fine but my face was damm cold. I have been very happy with it and would recommend it whole heartedly.

Those of you who have used the slick bag, does any other synthetic compare? I’m assuming the elevated price point would indicate they’re doing something a bit different.

I have noticed that the slick bag doesn’t breath worth a dang compared to my much cheaper marmot trestles. I wake up cold and clammy more often in the slick bag than any other synthetic I have used.
I really dig the centerzip, but besides that, the old slick bag isn’t living up to the hype for me.

OP
G
Good to know about the breathability. For durability I may put the MH bag inside a military bivy sack. Great reviews on that bag and it’s a lot cheaper. MH also used the same insulation as kifaru but the shell of the slick is damn strong.

gwl79902

WKR
I understand the durability argument but it is not down so if it get a snag here or there not a big earl to me. I am not rolling around on rocks with it. Mine has burn holes in it but who cares.

Good to know about the breathability. For durability I may put the MH bag inside a military bivy sack. Great reviews on that bag and it’s a lot cheaper. MH also used the same insulation as kifaru but the shell of the slick is damn strong.

Kifaru uses Apex insulation, MH uses thermal Q insulation. They are not the same. MH bags have a 30d shell, plenty durable and like others say, it's not like you're losing down if you poke a hole.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with that the durability of the shell doesn't really matter. I'm actually chuckling a little bit thinking about what it would take to rip a bag when it's out of its stuff sack or if you're in it, bear? rolling down a hill? Haha anyways synthetic insulation won't spill out, duct tape would suffice for most field repairs. That being said there are definitely different grades of insulation and aside from a good zipper and it being big enough, that's all that matters. I have no experience with Kifaru but I have found some great bags at sierra trading post for a steal that have the quality insulation that expensive bags have.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd personally get a VIAM quilt with Apex and call it good. Save a couple hundred bucks and be much more flexible. Why do you need some bullet proof material sleeping bag shell? Especially on a synthetic. Kifaru has this Apple- like cult following, it's funny at times. Love their packs and shelters, but dang, Apex is Apex, why pay double because it's a Kifaru? You can buy some good gear with the money you save by not getting the Slick.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JD619er

WKR
I just picked up a marmot ultra elite 20 from rei. It's the same insulation as in their trestles elite line which seems pretty tried and true? The bag I got is full zip, good quality zipper and lower en rating of 22 degrees which I've found is about spot on for me. The kicker....this thing only weighs 1lb 15oz

JD619er

WKR
And just to clarify because I just started reading up on en ratings. Their is the survival rating. Which will be the lowest on a bag. The lower limit which is the temp that men felt comfortable sleeping down to. And the upper rating which is the comfort rating for most women.

geriggs

WKR
BA encampment 15 long for a big fella like me. used it in alaska in late Sept and with an insulated pad worked great

OP
G
I think I’m going to try the MH 0 degree torch. People seem to be having great luck with them and they’re apparently really warm. Plus, they have the center zip, which is a plus. I would love the slick bag but it may be a bit overkill for what I need it for.

Johnboy

WKR
I've been running the MH Torch 0 degree bag for non-backpack style hunts for the last 2 seasons. The coldest conditions I used it in were one night when it was -5 degs F. I had to throw on my puffy (MH Compressor) midway through the night, but I made it through reasonably comfortably (somewhere in the lukewarm range). When it gets that cold, you really have to mind your drafts. Give the cold a way into your sleeping bag, and it will accept your invitation.

My only criticism is, I wish the zipper extended further down. I'm about 5'11" tall, and I have to shimmy out of the bag a little ways before my knees clear the bottom of the opening when fully unzipped. Other than that, it's a winner.

BKhunter

WKR
I just bought the north face 20* cats meow bag to try this year. I have a backpacking trip coming up in about 2 weeks. Should see temps in the mid 20's. I can post back with how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the bag I have and it's worked pretty well so far. Haven't taken it out past september though yet.

fatbacks

WKR
My August sheep hunting bag has been a Mountain Hardwear Ultra Lamina 32 for the past 10 years. Never been cold in it and it weighs under 2 lbs, but not a super comfortable sleeping bag - pain in the ass to zip all the way up... My late season bag last year was the REI Magma 10 and I dealt with constant moisture management sleeping floor-less in the Wrangell Mtns last September. Great bag and super light weight, but seems like that outer material wicks moisture into the bag. Returned it to REI when I got back. Anyhow, looking at the MH Hyperlamina Flame 20F now for my September high country bag. At the end of the day it really hard to beat the prices on the synthetic bags.

OP
G
Great to hear that MH has such positive experiences. I really like my down bag but with a floorless it’s just not smart.

Clarktar

WKR
I'd personally get a VIAM quilt with Apex and call it good. Save a couple hundred bucks and be much more flexible. Why do you need some bullet proof material sleeping bag shell? Especially on a synthetic. Kifaru has this Apple- like cult following, it's funny at times. Love their packs and shelters, but dang, Apex is Apex, why pay double because it's a Kifaru? You can buy some good gear with the money you save by not getting the Slick.

How do you know what they use in their quilts? I can not find anything on their website.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
How do you know what they use in their quilts? I can not find anything on their website.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
It's under the description for their insulator quilts.
ed53a1875b17d0e2a7796f5139b9ce12.jpg

541hunter

WKR
I just bought the north face 20* cats meow bag to try this year. I have a backpacking trip coming up in about 2 weeks. Should see temps in the mid 20's. I can post back with how it works.

So I got out over Memorial Day weekend and put 2 nights in the new bag. The first night was 34 degrees and a steady breeze all night. I started off the night in my boxers and about halfway through the night found my lower half cold enough to keep me from sleeping. I put pants back on and fell back asleep no problems. My feet did stay rather cold most the night with a pair of smart wool socks on. The second night was about 41 degrees with a steady breeze and was just fine in my boxers. The bag for me was very roomy (I'm 5'8 and 135lbs). I think this maybe why my lower half was cold. I personally tend to run warmer than most people I have gone on trips with so I was a bit shocked to wake up cold. I was running a silver tip that was staked about 2ish inches off the ground.