What synthetic sleeping bag besides kifaru slick bag?

I've been looking to get away from the down sleeping bag and try a quality synthetic one. Besides the slick bag what other synthetic bags are worth it in regards to quality, warmth, durability and price? Thanks

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered an Eddie Bauer Ignitor 0* bag. It uses Climashield Apex, like the Slick Bag does. However, it is a little narrow for me (I thrash in my sleep lol). As near as I can tell they aren't sold in a wide size. I also ordered a Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z which is the perfect width, but I don't like the hood, so its going back too. I'll probably end up with a Slick Bag, but I hate spending that much money. Or, maybe I'll get a Wiggy's for truck camping and stay with my down bag for packing in.

OP
G
I hear such great things about the slick bag. Anyone compared wiggy's vs kifaru? Would be interested to know which one won between the two.

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I have both, I like the overbag idea with wiggys, I can use that bag 3 ways depending on temps, and their zippers are super tough. The center zip on the slick bag is nice and I prefer the hood design better on it too.

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the slick bag but I’ve only had it for one year, I’ve used the wiggys around ten years and there’s nothing wrong with them.

Its not super compact but I prefer my marmot trestles 15 much more than my slick bag, which I think is more of a 30 degree bag than 20. I don’t think the kifaru is as durable as everyone claims, ive had some seems pop on mine and I ripped the baffle the first time I used it.
The trestles is cheap, warm, and in my personal experience more durable, Ive had mine a couple years and it looks new. Just a bit bulky.

dog812

WKR
I can also say the marmot trestles 13 works great. Dirt cheap and I usually have it unzipped like a quilt, it's so hot.
I've had mine for about 5 years, done everything from bivy on top of snow to fly in hunts to summer camping. They work! But 3.5# if I remember correctly.

530Chukar

WKR
I bought a Mountain Hardware Hyper Lamina 0 degree. Design wise it is almost identical to the Slick bag. The Slick bag does have a larger foot box and which I found very nice. Their standard was also a bit wider too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Montréal burrow bag I really like. Diagonal baffles and some stretch. $160.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if it doesn't have to be a bag, several folks are making Apex quilts- MLD, EE, Nunatuk, more

OP
G
Those of you who have used the slick bag, does any other synthetic compare? I’m assuming the elevated price point would indicate they’re doing something a bit different.

541hunter

WKR
I just bought the north face 20* cats meow bag to try this year. I have a backpacking trip coming up in about 2 weeks. Should see temps in the mid 20's. I can post back with how it works.

I haven't used a traditional sleeping bag in years but when I did, and when I used a synthetic bag, my favorite for wt./warmth was a Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina.

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
Those of you who have used the slick bag, does any other synthetic compare? I’m assuming the elevated price point would indicate they’re doing something a bit different.

Other companies use the same insulation as the slick bag. I think the price increase for the slick bag has a few factors at play. They are made in the US, the fabric shell seems much more durable compared to some other brands I have looked at, and they are larger than most other mummy style bags. I have a slick and two WM bags for different purposes. One of my WM bags has the GWS shell which seems pretty damn durable and the other WM is a lighter bag with a much lighter shell. While I haven’t had any issues with the lighter shell I would say that I am much more careful with that bag than I am the other two. I am pretty hard on things and have fairly large chest/shoulder so I chose the slick bag for those reasons. I have also heard great things about the hyperlamina but I like more room than what that bag offers.