Cots in a Floorless Shelter

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't want to highjack the other cot thread in this forum, so I figured I'd start another one. Do any of you guys that use floorless shelters also like to use a lightweight cot? I like the idea of being off the ground, but I don't necessarily like the additional weight and the steep prices on backpacking cots. The additional weight and pack space of the cot almost seems to defeat the purpose of the lightweight, packable floorless shelter. But with that being said, I'm still considering giving one a try. To anyone that has used one, do you think the added comfort and peace of mind is worth it?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
With a cot and my Thermarest Luxury Map 30 x 77" sleeping pad I sleep as well as I do at home. I sleep less well on the ground.

For backpacking it's hard for me to justify the weight of a cot. It's also hard to justify spending $300+ to add 2.5-4 lbs to my pack. (Helinox or Thermarest cots)

BUT, if I'm truck camping or destination camping I would take a cot.

BTW, for a very well built american made short 8" cot check out https://campingcot.com/. These weigh 10 lbs, cost about $150, hold 350 lbs, and I can have mine set up or taken down in about 65 seconds.

The shorter 8" cots work well in tipis because of the sloping sidewalls. The 15 or 17" tall cots push you out from the edge and eat up a lot of space.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
To anyone that has used one, do you think the added comfort and peace of mind is worth it?

If I'm sheep hunting and packing everything in, then I wont bring my cot. I use one during moose season in my floorless, and it is night and day over sleeping on the ground. I have the therm-a-rest mesh cot, and it's easy to setup and takedown.

I would upgrade to the ultralite cot, but another $240 to save a pound is not worth it. If It was under 1lb, I would consider taking it on a sheep or goat hunt, just to be able to sleep a little better.

Therm-a-rest cots are also made in America.

I've been using a cheap, fairly heavy cot for all my base camps and float trips (wt. is not an issue), now for several years and find that it is much nicer than sleeping on the ground. I purchased one of those expensive lightweight cots about a year ago, and used it for my last mt. goat hunt last Oct. I definitely slept better in my spike camp than I have on previous mountain hunts, but that being said, I won't be using it for all my mt. hunts. For me I think that it will come down to whether or not I'm going solo, or who I'm hunting with. I say that because, if I'm going with another adult that I can split up all of the wt. of our shared equiptment, ie., shelter, bear fence, etc. than I'll probably bring it, if I'm going solo or with my kids (that can't carry very much wt.), I'll more than likely leave it at home.

Last edited:

Whip

WKR
I bought a Helinox cot last year for my floorless set up and loved it. I was packed in for 10 days, and it was only in a couple of miles, so the added weight was well worth it to me. For shorter trips or long pack distances I might not take it, but I sure would be missing it!

FlyGuy

WKR
I have a Helinox that I will use in my Tut if truck camping. I have not packed it in deep for a spike camp, and probably won't. If had a basecamp destination that was a few miles in and I knew I would be stationary for the duration of the trip, then yeah i' d probably bring it with me b/c I sleep better with it. But if hunting with camp on your back I wouldn't do it. Just too much weight to carry everyday, and too much trouble to breakdown in the morning and set up again in the evening.
1b30c86a18e237d1e0243063a87cd23c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

gwl79902

WKR
For truck camping in a smaller tent I use one of these that I got used for 15 dollars. It is heavey but works well.
Access Denied

If backpacking in a short ways and going to stay awhile i use one on got on amazon for 60 ish dollars. I just did a search and could not find it anymore on amazon. I did find this on ebay and it looks like what I got. It has held up well and is not too heavy. Sure get a good sleep with it

Outdoor Ultralight& Portable Folding Aluminium alloy Cot Camping Tent Bed 614019650899 | eBay

Trial153

WKR
If weight isnt an issue i like cots in my floorless. If it was stated already disregard...but a consideration is that they definitely suck up floor space. Make sure uou try you layout beforehand

Just started using a Luxurylite cot the last few camping trips and can’t believe how much better I slept. Using my xtherm pad slightly deflated it’s sooo nice. Also helped make up for some slightly uneven ground. The weight might make me leave it if I knew I were going really far or already loaded really heavy but on 99% of my trips I plan to have it with me from here on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk