On a tent quest....

jm1607

WKR
Thought I had it figured out.. But I don't! Lol.. I know, it's another one of "those threads"

Basically looking for a solo "tent", not "tarp". Needs to be lighter (doesn't have to be crazy light, rather it be a little heavier and more bomb proof or more what I'm looking for).. Say, sub-3#s??

My pad is 25" wide. I need about 35" width near my head (I sleep with my arm stretched out under my pillow). So needs a decent interior space with out having toooo big of a footprint. Would really like a Big Sky Revolution 2P but just too big! I wish they made a Revolution 1Plus like they do with the Chinook. The Chinook is nice but at $500 I'd just buy a Hille! Maybe I should just stick with the Revolution 2p...

Needs to be good with condensation, I camp in alot of humid environments..

Needs to be semi rugged.. Not a 4 season tent, more like a 3.5 season. Not going to be camping above timberline, just don't want to worry if an over night snow storm or heavy rain comes through..

Would like to be able to setup in the rain, so poles on the outside of fly or nest under tarp kind of setup.. This is actually a 100% must

Can't really afford a Hilleberg, looking in the $350 or less range..

Leaning towards Big Sky Revolution 1P but even though it's a double wall apparently it's not too great with condensation.. I like the TT Moment DW but interior space not wide enough.. Like the Protrail but also worried about condensation and wish it had a little more vestibule space.. Not sure it's big enough for my pack and bow..

Whatcha guys think?

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I really like the original Big Agnes Copper Spurs. The UL2 sounds like it would fit your needs. I sold mine recently because it was a little too tight for my preferences. I'm using the CS UL3 solo, and willing to accept the small weight penalty for the space. I also have the CS UL4 for two people.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
I really like the original Big Agnes Copper Spurs. The UL2 sounds like it would fit your needs. I sold mine recently because it was a little too tight for my preferences. I'm using the CS UL3 solo, and willing to accept the small weight penalty for the space. I also have the CS UL4 for two people.

Well.. Actually I sold my Copper Spur to buy a Revolution lol! They are pretty similar but I like the exterior poles on the Revolution so it can be easier setup in bad weather..

I completely understand the weight penalty for more room, but I just want to be careful.. The spots I've been finding to camp as of late have a pretty small footprint.. Looking for more of a 1.5 person tent

I should have mentioned in the 1st post! I'd really like a tent with the poles outside the fly or something like a TT with a nest so I can pitch in pouring rain if needed.. This is the tough one! Just added to the original post...

Last edited:

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thought I had it figured out.. But I don't! Lol.. I know, it's another one of "those threads"

Basically looking for a solo "tent", not "tarp". Needs to be lighter (doesn't have to be crazy light, rather it be a little heavier and more bomb proof or more what I'm looking for).. Say, sub-3#s??

My pad is 25" wide. I need about 35" width near my head (I sleep with my arm stretched out under my pillow). So needs a decent interior space with out having toooo big of a footprint. Would really like a Big Sky Revolution 2P but just too big!

Needs to be good with condensation, I camp in alot of humid environments..

Needs to be semi rugged.. Not a 4 season tent, more like a 3.5 season. Not going to be camping above timberline, just don't want to worry if an over night snow storm or heavy rain comes through..

Can't really afford a Hilleberg, looking in the $350 or less range..

Leaning towards Big Sky Revolution 1P but even though it's a double wall apparently it's not too great with condensation.. I like the TT Moment DW but interior space not wide enough.. Like the Protrail but also worried about condensation and wish it had a little more vestibule space.. Not sure it's big enough for my pack and bow..

Whatcha guys think?

I would recommend the Hilleberg Enan tent. It is very light weight and weighs only 4lbs. I have used this tent personally on a back country elk hunt a few years ago and it was amazing. There is plenty of room to stretch out. I sleep the same way and had enough room in the tent for my stuff and to be comfortable. If you're looking for a tent, go with Hilleberg. They are "The Tent Maker" for a reason...

I see that Hilleberg isn't affordable try (ROK10) for 10% off for members

Last edited:
I love my Kelty gunnison, and I carry 2.1 for myself or myself and another person. It weighs 5 lbs, so a little heavier than what you want, but it isn't that much heavier. I am sure the one man would be lighter and just as good.

amp713

WKR
Maybe check out luxe tipis. They can have the inner added and be fully enclosed or just a half with a vestibule style set up. Lots of different ways to set it up and very well priced!

Kurtm2323

FNG
Checkout Tarptent. I use their Notch and love it. I have the partial side wall version so it sleep pretty warm. It is a super fast setup using only 4 stakes and weighs about 28oz (without the trekking poles or poles). I normally use my trekking poles but did pick up a set of their poles for it that work pretty good. The vestibules are decently sized and allow me to fit my pack and all my gear in them. Another cool thing about them is that you can use them without the nest and have an extremely lightweight (16oz) floorless shelter with plenty of space for one person.

Tarptent Notch

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
I had similar requirements when looking for a tent. After owning a SMD lunar solo and a Tarptent Protrail I decided I wanted something double wall that has its own poles. For me it came down to either the Tarptent Moment dw, Tarptent Scarp 1, or Big Sky Revolution 2p.

I ended up buying the revolution 2p but the footprint is pretty large and I have no need for two vestibules. I really wanted the moment dw but was worried it wouldn't be large enough. I'm still debating getting one just to try. The Scarp 1 might actually be a great compromise and basically the same weight as a revolution 2p.

For what it's worth I think Tarptent is not only a better company to deal with, but also better build quality.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Maybe check out luxe tipis. They can have the inner added and be fully enclosed or just a half with a vestibule style set up. Lots of different ways to set it up and very well priced!
Footprint is probably too big for what he's looking for though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

aion2come

WKR
Dont forget the Tarptent Stratospire 1 or 2. I have the 2. With those you have the option of either a mesh interior, or a solid walled interior. That will affect your moisture situation.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Tarptent Saddle 2. Several of the TT models should fit what you're looking for

HeadnWest

WKR
Dont forget the Tarptent Stratospire 1 or 2. I have the 2. With those you have the option of either a mesh interior, or a solid walled interior. That will affect your moisture situation.

I second the Tarptent Stratospire! Plenty of room for you and your gear. Mine only weighed 2.5 lbs last year. and was just as big as my buddies 2 man tents that weighed twice as much.

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
The stratospires have a really large footprint in relationship to the sleep space, they are all vestibule. They also require trekking poles which is something to consider. I didn't like leaving my trekking poles at camp while I hunted. The whole reason I carried them in the first place is to have them if I got an animal down.

six moon designs lunar solo or dechutes tarp depending on if you want a floor or not. Single pole hybrid pyramid design, good ventilation and protection from the elements. Room for 1+ not quite 2 so you can have your pack in the tent if you wanted. big vestibule for cooking and gear storage. if you look at the outfitter model (which i dont see available in the lunar solo currently) it has heavier floor fabric and wall fabric, and its cheaper.

HeadnWest

WKR
The stratospires have a really large footprint in relationship to the sleep space, they are all vestibule. They also require trekking poles which is something to consider. I didn't like leaving my trekking poles at camp while I hunted. The whole reason I carried them in the first place is to have them if I got an animal down.

I bought one of the 2oz poles from tarptent for the Stratospire. So I leave one trekking pole at camp and take one with me.

jorken

FNG
six moon designs lunar solo or dechutes tarp depending on if you want a floor or not. Single pole hybrid pyramid design, good ventilation and protection from the elements. Room for 1+ not quite 2 so you can have your pack in the tent if you wanted. big vestibule for cooking and gear storage. if you look at the outfitter model (which i dont see available in the lunar solo currently) it has heavier floor fabric and wall fabric, and its cheaper.

+1 on the SMD Lunar Solo

amp713

WKR
Footprint is probably too big for what he's looking for though

Idk the mini peak seems to have a pretty small footprint but a very useable space. My buddy fits in his a lot better than he fits in my hex but he has probably 8" of height on me