WM or EE

RMarciano

FNG
I’m looking at getting two sleeping bags and wanted to hear some thoughts from you guys. I’m looking at getting either two -10F Converts from Enlightened Equipment or getting two 10F Western Mountaineering Versalites. The versalites are 3 oz lighter and might run me $40ish more than the EE. I’m concerned the -10F temperature rating bags from EE aren’t conservative. I can’t imagine there is a 20F difference with the same 850 fill and such a small weight difference from the WM. But I do love the idea of being able to connect the two EE bags by zipping them into one big quilt for both of us. Which would be warmer of these two options given the same sleeping pad and conditions?

I ran a 20 EE for two years then switched to the 30 degree WM Megalite and it no doubt is warmer than the quilt. There is obviously more loft in the WM and I have comfortably taken it below the rating. WM ratings are actual ratings IMO.

Western Mountaineering is the gold standard.

EE 850 fill is not the same as WM nor does It loft as well. WM is conservative on their down ratings, that's why it is called 850+.

Keep in mind that there are no hoods on the EE's. If you were to connect them in truly cold weather it would be awful hard to seal off the quilt at your neck and shoulders with 2 people doing their own thing.

Last edited:
I have owned both. I did sell my WM recently. I am just way more comfortable in a quilt. But for truly cold weather I would pick the WM. The loft and fill in the WM is much better then the EE. I had an alpine lite 20* bag down to single digits and didn’t freeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk