Tent vs tarp vs nothing.

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
First year backpacking in and spending several nights in the back country. Should I go with a tent or something else more lightweight?

First year backpacking in and spending several nights in the back country. Should I go with a tent or something else more lightweight?

Look into the Kifaru sawtooth. It’s light weight, a castle for one, can run a stove and best CS you’ll ever find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a tarp like the Seek Outside DST is a good place to start.A bunch of ways to pitch it and if you want to move to another shelter a flat tarp is always good to have

duchntr

WKR
Get a floored 3 season tent like a rei quarter dome for a less steep learning curve for site selection, ease of setup and being out of the bugs.

OP
B

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I should correct myself and say that I have experience backpacking and staying overnight but all I have is a 2 person Mountain Hardware tent that is 5 lbs. I am looking for something lighter and I don't know if I should get a tent or do something else. The cheaper the better.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're going solo I would go with something like a simple tarp bivvy combo or maybe in A frame like a Mega tarp style. If you are going with 2 guys I would go with either the A frame or a 4 man tipi And possibly a bug bivy. A lot depends on your personal style and preference however it's not too often that I will recommend A lot depends on your personal style and preference however it's not too often that I will recommend A tent over a floorless In the high country
Central Idaho. Sept-Oct. Probably 5 miles in.

Live2hunt custom shelters

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am sitting here in Idaho having lunch before heading out of service and into bear camp.

The solo shelter I have with me is a hammock and tarp. I haven’t slept on the ground in the last three years. I love how great my back feels getting out of the hammock in the morning. You may want to consider it.

My first backpacking shelter was a tarptent double rainbow. I made the floorless jump into a megatarp two years ago and would highly recommend the floorless tarp for areas where bugs aren't a major concern. It's hard to beat the weight-savings, convenience factor of cooking in your shelter, and the ability to run a wood stove in 4th season. I recently picked up a paratarp for solo outings, but don't have many nights in it yet.

The kifaru tarps are great but definitely not the cheapest out there. Mountainsmith, Jimmy Tarps, and Live2Hunt shelters are some good cheaper tarp options. Mountain Laurel Designs and Seek Outside also make some good tarp shelters similar to Kifaru pricing.

OP
B

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am sitting here in Idaho having lunch before heading out of service and into bear camp.

The solo shelter I have with me is a hammock and tarp. I haven’t slept on the ground in the last three years. I love how great my back feels getting out of the hammock in the morning. You may want to consider it.

I have thought about bringing my hammock. I have not slept in it yet so I don't know if I would like it or not.

JP100

WKR
All depends on you situation and what you prefer.

If your below the tree line a simple tarp and ground sheet/bivvy bag can work pretty most of the time. This is light and cheap option and works well until your above the tree line or in real shitty weather.

Cheap and light for sure

ianpadron

WKR
If you're going solo I would go with something like a simple tarp bivvy combo or maybe in A frame like a Mega tarp style. If you are going with 2 guys I would go with either the A frame or a 4 man tipi And possibly a bug bivy. A lot depends on your personal style and preference however it's not too often that I will recommend A lot depends on your personal style and preference however it's not too often that I will recommend A tent over a floorless In the high country

Live2hunt custom shelters
William will never toot his own horn on this site so I'll do it for him:

His shelters are truly world-class.

I've owned Seek Outside, Jimmy Tarps, and currently run a Kifaru Supertarp in addition to the shelter William built custom for me.

His shelter takes the cake in the quality department hands down...and I have beat the living hell out of it in it's first year.

70mph winds...like a BOSS during deer season in the Cascades of WA. No problemo.

I went with William because he let me fully customize the shelter. I didn't want a pole set, wanted 2 way heavy duty zippers, specific color, etc...oh and he seam sealed it for no additional charge.

Can't go wrong with the big names but having a truly built to spec backpack hunting shelter is pretty dang slick.

I'd shoot him a message, you won't be disappointed.
531f93a43471609d23a3ff46699de725.jpg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

jaredgreen

Lil-Rokslider
I have thought about bringing my hammock. I have not slept in it yet so I don't know if I would like it or not.

Read up on hammock camping on here before you do. You will need an under quilt or a sleeping pad if it gets cold at all. I did trial runs in the back yard before I took the leap. Haven’t looked back.

Read up on hammock camping on here before you do. You will need an under quilt or a sleeping pad if it gets cold at all. I did trial runs in the back yard before I took the leap. Haven’t looked back.

Yup. Nothing worse than getting out there and finding you can't get a good night's rest hanging. Also be sure you're comfortable sleeping under a tarp. Some like the security blanket of being zipped in an enclosed shelter.