Tent vs tarp vs nothing.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Peeing out of a hammock is also real convenient, just make sure you know where your boots are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountain Shelter LT. Had 8" of snow in it, rain storms, and held up great. Can fit in tight situations, quick setup/tear down. At $90 and 2lbs packed can't beat it. Lifetime warranty as well. Going into my 3rd season with it.

I can just roll over and move my EE quilt to take a leak in a floorless, instead of having to crawl out of a tent to go outside. :cool:
Never understood why someone wants to piss where they sleep. A plastic bottle solves that problem.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

MacAttack

FNG
I am sitting here in Idaho having lunch before heading out of service and into bear camp.

The solo shelter I have with me is a hammock and tarp. I haven’t slept on the ground in the last three years. I love how great my back feels getting out of the hammock in the morning. You may want to consider it.

Recommendations on a hammock?

Dump the bottle away from where you sleep. Enjoy sleeping in piss!

Haha you must be suffering from a weak steam if you can’t clear your sleeping bag ;) Point is I’d rather not carry around an extra bottle just to piss in when the ground is right there in my floorless shelter. Not saying no one should do it that way, just that I don’t get it. Mostly just messin with you.

Haha you must be suffering from a weak steam if you can’t clear your sleeping bag ;) Point is I’d rather not carry around an extra bottle just to piss in when the ground is right there in my floorless shelter. Not saying no one should do it that way, just that I don’t get it. Mostly just messin with you.

I know, its just that I hear dudes saying they roll over and piss out of the bag and for me, yes, pissing while laying down is nice I just hate the smell of piss... I dont carry a bottle, but would rather do that than piss right next to my sleeping spot. To each his own!!!

FlyGuy

WKR
It soaks into the ground almost immediately. I've never noticed an odor. I thought it was gross too when I first heard It, but damn it's nice to stay in my warm bag and take care of that. Back to sleep in seconds.

Only problem ive had with this system was last year in WY. My jetstream vest somehow ended up in my "spot". Couldn't figure out why it was soaked the next morning...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Just my $0.02 on Hammocks.
I have a Hennessy hammock that I use regularly in the warmer months for scouting trips / misc adventure, and last year I decided to use it for hunting. Here were the issues I encountered:
1- I got to camp late and was using headlamp to get setup. Due to the limited visibility and all the beetle killed trees, I couldn't find the trees I needed and spent the first night on the ground.
2- I did not bring an underquilt. Huge mistake. About 3/3:30 in the morning i would be woken up because my legs were so cold (Luckily I was getting up soon anyway :/). This was early September, about 12k ft and maybe 30-35 degrees. (I had mattress, 0 degree bag, overcovers, etc)
3- I could not find a way to keep my boots warm, and all my gear was under the tarp and on the ground. When it rained... too bad, nothing i could do but pile it up best I could under the tarp.
4- There is no way to egress quickly. About 4 days into my trip I had "stomach issues", woke up in a panic, and was unable to get out quickly. Cleaning up outside in 35 degrees, in the dark, using wet wipes (i don't build fires during archery season).... it really makes you consider how badly you want to keep hunting lol.

All of these issues were really my mistakes and poor planning, and I don't think that hammocks are a bad way to camp while hunting.... but it does require a bit more planning (and experience). If you have never cold camped in a hammock, i'd advise learning NOT during hunting season. IMO, you cannot get away with no under quilt

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
Mountain Shelter LT. Had 8" of snow in it, rain storms, and held up great. Can fit in tight situations, quick setup/tear down. At $90 and 2lbs packed can't beat it. Lifetime warranty as well. Going into my 3rd season with it.

Can you run a stove in it?

jspradley

WKR
I have thought about bringing my hammock. I have not slept in it yet so I don't know if I would like it or not.

Make sure you test it out BEFORE you drag it 5 miles into the woods and find you can't sleep in it.

All my buddies have hardons for hammock camping but I just cant sleep in one worth a crap...

Gorp2007

WKR
Definitely test the hammock before you go and make sure you're sleeping in it properly. I've camped in my Hennessy Hammocks quite a bit and you've got to make sure you're at an angle so that you're not sleeping in the shape of a banana. Temperature control and comfort are both issues that you want to figure out before you head out the door, too. A lot of people swear by the underquilt, but if you don't want to buy another expensive piece of gear I have gotten by with cutting a blue foam sleeping pad from Walmart into the shape of my mummy bag. It provides additional insulation and also helps prevent some compression of your sleeping bag. For me, it's made sleep comfortable down into the 30s with a 20 degree bag and a bag liner. There's definitely a learning curve and it's not for everyone.

Can you run a stove in it?

I've seen a mod before where someone had. I wouldn't recommend it though, with 1 person and gear it would be more of a pain than it's worth. It'd be hard to dry things out in that tight of quarters and you'd probably end up burning something.

WKR
I am setting up a very modular system with the Seek Outside LBO.

1 person tarp option
1 person floorless tipi option (w/ vestibule)
1 person tent option (vestibule, w/ bug net/nest)
1 person tipi with stove option

Then you can add a connecting tarp to add more room up to about 6 people with stove... This takes me from one person fall elk hunts (tarp) to late season (tipi plus stove) to spring bear/turkey (add bug net/nests) to a family canoe trip (base+tarp+base with stove) all with one modular system.

I'll have 2 base plus vestibules, 1 connecting tarp, 2 nests when all is said and done.

The only downside to this system is that I can't stand up in any of the options like I could with a 6 person tipi.