Ultimate Base Camp???

JP100

WKR
I am fore ever researching options for a good base camp set up for my trips here, we often fly in and set up base right where we land more or less so weight is not a huge factor.

I am looking for:

Stand up room

Bath tub floor

max weight aprox 20kg/50lbs

Sleep 2-4 guys and gear

big vestibule would be nice

optional stove

BOMB proof

This season I tried a Cabelas Outfitter instinct 10x10, was a bit of experiment in bigger tents and the size was awesome, set up not too bad, but it only lived for about 36 hours before the poles folded up in the wind.

I am kind of leaning into a Artic Oven Igloo currently, who has one??

Other options:

Nordic Tipi tent, maybe a 9 person size one, the models/style seem confusing to work out, no vestibule seems a bit average, weight is not bad, but need the extra floor/liner. I dont like the idea of opening the door and all the rain comes in.

Hilliberg ATLAS-light(10kg plus liner), looks bomb proof, I think the floor is removable so not a true bath tub, floor and liner are speraqte purchases. ALTAI-very light(5kg), dont think it would handle the wind

Mountians hardwear Stronghold dome-looks hard to set up, ALOT of poles so should be strong, removable floor, spendy, 20kg

Mermot Lair-light, good dome shape, not sure on stand up room?? 12kg

Terra Nova Cosmos- 14kg, seems good, bloody spendy

MSR HUB- spendy(5k), good head room, no floor?? dont think it would handle the wind well, side walls seem to high.

There is a few others I have been looking at but cannot remember their names right now.

Anything else I should consider???

PS- I do NOT want a floorless shelter

Thanks

LaHunter

WKR
Are you 100% sure you had the Cabela’s Instict Outfitter set up correctly? I’ve spent a week in mine in WY and it handled some insane WY wind great. You have to be sure that it is staked out well and all guy lines tight.

I don’t have any experience with the Arctic Igloo but I have a fair amount of experience with Arctic Ovens, and you won’t find a better “bomb proof” shelter than the Alaska Tent and Tarp products, period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
I am looking for:

Stand up room

Bath tub floor

max weight aprox 20kg/50lbs

Sleep 2-4 guys and gear

big vestibule would be nice

optional stove

BOMB proof

You're describing an Arctic Oven (but a bit heavy)...I agree with AK Troutbum.

I know quite a few people who use the heck out their AO's, and they are very pleased people. They are essentially portable cabins. The only negative I've ever heard is weight. The Igloo is a recent design addition to be significantly lighter and will be within your weight range. I don't know of anyone who yet has an Igloo...sorry. However, Alaska Tent and Tarp is a very well respected company.

Last edited:
OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Are you 100% sure you had the Cabela’s Instict Outfitter set up correctly? I’ve spent a week in mine in WY and it handled some insane WY wind great. You have to be sure that it is staked out well and all guy lines tight.

I am 100% sure it was set up correctly, and we had the heavy snow straps in place as well.
Our wind is different haha, Ive seen ALOT of 4 season tents from all kinds of brands fold up here.
Generally we are camped in head basins and on mountain 'ledges' where the wind swirls badly and comes from multiple directions at once(yes its possible haha).

I have contacted Cabelas and I am sure they will send a replacement(as its a life time warranty), but I wont be using the tent again in the hills. Its great for car camping/set up on the lawn when extra family stays thats for sure.

I’ve had good luck with the Cabelas 8 man geodesic dome tents. We use the aluminum poles versus the fiberglass. The tents have 6 poles making them fairly stout and We always stake out all the guy ropes. Ours has a large old style vestibule and you have to stake and guy the heck out of it too. The 8-man is about 12’ in dia and has lots of head room. Works well for 3 and ok for 4 max with the vestibule. We’ve flown it in twice over the past 2 years in a Beaver.

Hunting from the truck using one as a base camp we found that the fabric will deteriorate, weaken and fade from the UV light once the tent has about 350 or more days in higher altitude Sun (CO, AZ, MT etc).

Good luck!

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
Now im not sure what the difference is between the Cabelas alaskan guide tents and the newer instinct tents, but I have had the alaskan guide for about 8 years now, with about 300 days in the field. It has not only survived, but thrived in some high winds and freak storms. We do a lot of camping in tornado alley during the spring and it held up absolutley perfectly during confirmed 80mph wind gusts. Also survived 40 hours of straight line 50mph winds on one hunting trip above 11k. I have nothing but great things to say about this shelter. Mine has the fiberglass poles so not sure if that makes a difference. My ONLY nitpick is it can get condensation on the inside pretty bad when its humid. It has served me exceptionally well. I can understand getting burned by a product and writing them off for good, Ive done the same myself. But due to my own expierences with this particular tent, it would take some pretty extreme conditions to make it fail, unless it had a fault from the factory or tolerances have slid on them in recent years.

Now im not sure what the difference is between the Cabelas alaskan guide tents and the newer instinct tents, but I have had the alaskan guide for about 8 years now, with about 300 days in the field. It has not only survived, but thrived in some high winds and freak storms. We do a lot of camping in tornado alley during the spring and it held up absolutley perfectly during confirmed 80mph wind gusts. Also survived 40 hours of straight line 50mph winds on one hunting trip above 11k. I have nothing but great things to say about this shelter. Mine has the fiberglass poles so not sure if that makes a difference. My ONLY nitpick is it can get condensation on the inside pretty bad when its humid. It has served me exceptionally well. I can understand getting burned by a product and writing them off for good, Ive done the same myself. But due to my own expierences with this particular tent, it would take some pretty extreme conditions to make it fail, unless it had a fault from the factory or tolerances have slid on them in recent years.

I can’t knock the Cabela’s AGD tent at all, I have had a 6 person for about 14 years now, have used the hell out of it, and have weathered some pretty extreme storms in it with no issues whatsoever. So, with all that being said, the AGD isn’t anywhere near the tent that the Alaska Tent and Tarp AO is. One is built like a tent and the other is built like a fortress.

I am 100% sure it was set up correctly, and we had the heavy snow straps in place as well.
Our wind is different haha, Ive seen ALOT of 4 season tents from all kinds of brands fold up here.
Generally we are camped in head basins and on mountain 'ledges' where the wind swirls badly and comes from multiple directions at once(yes its possible haha).

I have contacted Cabelas and I am sure they will send a replacement(as its a life time warranty), but I wont be using the tent again in the hills. Its great for car camping/set up on the lawn when extra family stays thats for sure.

Wow I’m really disappointed to read this cause I have the same Outfitter tent and I’ve taken it on 2 trips and I really have been impressed. That Wyoming wind is about the worst I’ve experienced too? Rained and a little windy on both of my trips and I was very comfy but bummed to hear it wasn’t good for you. Hoping I don’t have the same bad experience

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Wow I’m really disappointed to read this cause I have the same Outfitter tent and I’ve taken it on 2 trips and I really have been impressed. That Wyoming wind is about the worst I’ve experienced too? Rained and a little windy on both of my trips and I was very comfy but bummed to hear it wasn’t good for you. Hoping I don’t have the same bad experience

All depends what conditions your in.
We see all brands/styles of tents wrecked here pretty regularly.

I hope you have a better run as well. They are a very nice tent for size and set up is pretty simple for such a big tent. I thought I had a winner but it will be hard to use that tent again in the hills
Still waiting to hear from warranty!

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR

When I hear back from warranty I will be asking if I can get one of the older tent styles as a replacement.

The tent model I have (the 10x10) is a more 'upright' style and not a true dome tent like the older ones, it has straighter walls and more head space etc, this clearly is a down fall in high winds.
The Instinct series are meant to be stronger (delivering 63% more strength, 6% less weight and 36% more usable interior space ,is what the website says)

So who knows, maybe the older style is the best, as the saying goes if it aint broke dont fix it!!

when this tent failed I had a back up( a One planet Nissen Hut) and set that up in more or less the same place and same conditions, it handled it fine.

Maybe I got a dud I dont know

boom

WKR
I don’t have any experience with the Arctic Igloo but I have a fair amount of experience with Arctic Ovens, and you won’t find a better “bomb proof” shelter than the Alaska Tent and Tarp products, period.

wow!! you could probably use one of those for a paint booth!! in a blizzard! that is amazing.

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello JP100,

I understand, the Tentipi lineup is a bit confusing at first. Tentipi has been around a long time and have added many features, accessories, etc. which can make everything a little hard to understand. That said, your description of what you're looking for is right in the wheelhouse where these tents shine. Large, breathable canvas tents designed for quick and easy set-up. They pack up small, are extremely good in the wind, and are incredibly well made to last. Lifetime warranty.

Please feel to give me a call directly if you like, sometimes a real conversation can cover a lot more ground than websites and forums can ever do.

Thanks for considering,

Tom Mansfield
Mansfield Outdoors
425-501-7512
Tentipi Nordic tipi tents & stoves. USA based authorized distributor | MansfieldOutdoors.com