Jimmy Tarps Quality

I have right around $400 to spend on a shelter. I have a Kifaru backpack and love it, so I wanted to support them and get a shelter from them as well. The only thing I can afford is a tarp from Kifaru but I really wanted to get a tipi style (it's out of my budget). So my problem is I don't know if I should go with a Kifaru tarp (within my budget) or get a Jimmy Tarp Hudson Tipi ($310). I have heard Jimmy Tarps are really good, but how do they compare to Kifaru?

Have you looked at Seek Outside?
I have the tut and it is awesome but you do have quality choices available in that price range

sveltri

WKR
Will you be using the shelter for just yourself? If so take a look at the Silvertip, I actually like my Silvertip better than my Cimarron. They're both great shelters.

92xj

WKR
Product Luna 4 Page

345 with stove jack installed.

Get it custom made if you want anything different.
Quick turn around, good communication and quality work.

If not Kifaru or Seek, Bearpaw should be highly looked at and considered.

MIKEYB

WKR
I'm selling the shelter in the above link.

I read your Original post and thought of this shelter right away. It's been a great shelter and the only reason I'm selling it is because I picked up a Sawtooth and I feel they fit the same uses. Let me know if you have any questions on the shelter. Like couesbitten there are a few of us that have had this shelter on the forum and few have even added stove jacks to them. I feel like you could pick this shelter up add a stove jack and still have a little bit towards a stove if you wanted to go that route.

You definitely have some solid options within your price range.

Lots of good options, Mountain Laurel Designs has really popular pyramids but i'm on week 13 waiting for mine. The tigoat teepee looks like a good option TiGoat Vertex5

Luxe and Oware shelters might fit the bill too. I'm not aware of direct sawtooth competitors but beyond that I don't see much reason to spend what Kifaru asks for their shelters.

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience with Jimmy Tarps?

Jimmy is very responsive, great to work with, and builds very affordable, quality gear. I have a bivy, tarp, game bags, pack cover, and granite Mountain shelter. I have no experience with the Hudson. All that said, I’m looking at Luxe Mountain gear for a possible tipi...

I've been looking at Jimmy Tarps, SO, Luxe, and Bear Paw. Jim has been nothing but helpful and is really quick to respond to any questions.

I would be getting a Hudson except that I got in on the Cimarron blem deal a couple days ago. The big difference between Jim/SO/BPWD and Luxe is that if something
happens to the shelter you can get it repaired and are not SOL.

Also, if you listened to the latest podcast with Jim, you'd know he has two more versions of the Hudson coming out this summer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
I own a couple tarps from Jimmy and I have no complaints. I also have a Cimarron and a Mega Tarp with no complaints either.

Jimmy's hudson tipi's work well. People seem to have trouble with no nests for them or, the lack of vent. Here is the deal. It weighs half of the lightest competitor. He designed it for a backpack tent. It isn't going to have a bunch of extra amenities due to weight. I owned and used it a 1/2 dozen times. Worked great. I sold it and, replaced it with a Luxe. Only because the Luxe came with a nest and, I don't need a stove option.

Buy a Hudson with confidence if you want a light, durable tent that offers you the ability to use a stove.

Jimmy's build quality is very good, customer service is very good but I think he is using silpoly as apposed to syl nylon and there is a significant difference in durability

Jimmy's hudson tipi's work well. People seem to have trouble with no nests for them or, the lack of vent. Here is the deal. It weighs half of the lightest competitor. He designed it for a backpack tent. It isn't going to have a bunch of extra amenities due to weight. I owned and used it a 1/2 dozen times. Worked great. I sold it and, replaced it with a Luxe. Only because the Luxe came with a nest and, I don't need a stove option.

Buy a Hudson with confidence if you want a light, durable tent that offers you the ability to use a stove.

Does it weigh half of the closest competitor? I've seen 1 lb 9 ounce and not sure if that includes stakes and guy line. A MLD supermid weighs 1 lb 10 ounce in silnylon and comes with a large vent, inner net options, and has a history of bomber performance.

Unless I have read the add wrong, I think you need to go back and do a little research. Base weight on the MLD is 26 ounces. One ounce heavier. it costs $75 more for just the shell. It also doesn't come with a stove jack. Custom work to install one seems to run about $75 including jack material. $20 to ship it back and forth fr that. Shipping to receive it in order to ship to a custom sewer will push the over all price to $500 minimum for a compatible shelter. What the final weight would be on that is unknown. What isn't unknown is that for roughly 60% of the money and 60-70% of the weight of a MLD supermid, you can own a bigger shelter then a customized MLD. For one ounce less and, 22% less money, you can own a stove ready tipi versus the stock supermid.

The problem with the internet is you get people that have favorites that they want others to like as well. Jimmy has never said he builds tipi's meant for Alaskan treks through winter. He builds a light tipi that will keep you dry and warm during back pack hunts. And offers it at a price and weight much less then his competitors for a comparable shelter. That's all I'm am saying. Not that it is the strongest, most durable, best built shelter available. Only that it serves it's intended purpose well and has to be considered as such.

God Bless men