Free standing mountain tent suggestions

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
One of those threads, but I keep running into the same stalling point, so figured I’d jump up and ask.

Needing a free standing tent that is light enough to pack well, but durable enough to stand up to strong winds. Not looking for a tipi/taro/hammock—already have a nice Seek Outside cimmaron and has an 8-man. Like floorless, but planning to use this in a couple spots including Mt Whitney’s trail camp where there is simply little to no soil. And not wanting to drive aluminum stakes into solid granite, need to go free standing and can guy out to some rocks.

Been a while since I’ve looked for a more traditional shelter, and seems most I have seen so far are pretty impressive weight wise, but look like they are just waiting for a breeze to destroy them.

So if looking for a packable 2 Or 3 man tent for fall mountain hunt and use on longer hikes during the summer, in locations where wind will be an issue—what shelters come to mind and why.

Thanks gents.

bsnedeker

WKR
Freestanding, Durable, and Light: In my research I think you need to pick the two of those factors that are most important to you, because all three don't exist in any tent that I have found. You can't go wrong with a Hilleberg if price isn't an issue, but I don't believe their Anjan tents are free standing...have to be staked out.

If you want freestanding and durable I can highly recommend the Snugpack Scorpion 3. It is not very light but it is an awesome shelter and you only need to stake out the vestibule (which is the case with every free standing tent I've ever seen).

deadwolf

WKR
I would think the Hilleberg Rogen (2 vestibules) or Niak (1 vestibule) would fit the bill nicely. If I can sneak one by the wife I will be grabbing a Rogen this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a big sky chinook 2p. Very well built and comes in at just over 4 pounds with breathable interior and sod flaps. Set up is super easy, construction looks good.
First trip will be in 2 weeks. So I can report back then if you want to know how it did.

lkwoolsey

WKR
I used to guide a lot of mountaineering trips, and yeah, as ssssnake529 said, sounds like you want a mountaineering tent. The North Face VE25 is pretty good, solid in high winds and freestanding. Don't know if Mountain Hardwear is still making the Trango line up, but the Trango 2 is really good too. MSR Fury is another good one. All of these have very similar designs. Usually two poles crossed over to form an x with one more on each end to give it more stability. The rain fly usually has another pole to give you some headroom. Those are probably a bit of overkill but they are a good blend of the three features you are looking for. Like a couple others have said though, its going to be tough to find a tent thats lightweight, durable and freestanding.
Could check out Bibler...not sure if they're even still making tents, but they made some decent ones.Just my .2

sneaky

"DADDY"
Freestanding, Durable, and Light: In my research I think you need to pick the two of those factors that are most important to you, because all three don't exist in any tent that I have found. You can't go wrong with a Hilleberg if price isn't an issue, but I don't believe their Anjan tents are free standing...have to be staked out.

If you want freestanding and durable I can highly recommend the Snugpack Scorpion 3. It is not very light but it is an awesome shelter and you only need to stake out the vestibule (which is the case with every free standing tent I've ever seen).
Hilleberg Soulo or Allak you don't have to stake out the vestibule. Pole design on those has the vestibule included in set up space. Great tents because in bad weather you can set the outer up first, unlike the Stone Glacier tent. They can spin that any way they want, but if it's raining the interior is going to get wet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
One of those threads, but I keep running into the same stalling point, so figured I’d jump up and ask.

Needing a free standing tent that is light enough to pack well, but durable enough to stand up to strong winds. Not looking for a tipi/taro/hammock—already have a nice Seek Outside cimmaron and has an 8-man. Like floorless, but planning to use this in a couple spots including Mt Whitney’s trail camp where there is simply little to no soil. And not wanting to drive aluminum stakes into solid granite, need to go free standing and can guy out to some rocks.

Been a while since I’ve looked for a more traditional shelter, and seems most I have seen so far are pretty impressive weight wise, but look like they are just waiting for a breeze to destroy them.

So if looking for a packable 2 Or 3 man tent for fall mountain hunt and use on longer hikes during the summer, in locations where wind will be an issue—what shelters come to mind and why.

Thanks gents.
Hilleberg Allak. You can run it floorless if you wanted and it would still be freestanding. Bomber tent. A good solid tent is going to be heavier, not cheap. I'd trust a Hilleberg anywhere. Still regret selling my Soulo.

BRWNBR

WKR
I’d look at Kuiu before I looked at another hilleberg. I’m done waking up wet.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’d look at Kuiu before I looked at another hilleberg. I’m done waking up wet.
Unless KUIU has TRULY fixed their tent issues their first gens were like coffee filters they leaked so bad. I'd take a Hille 8 days a week over anything from KUIU. Heck. I'd buy a Big Sky tent before I'd get a KUIU since that's the design they copied anyways.

akrdkill

WKR
same boat...narrowed down to Exped Gemmini or mar elixir .....both heavier than I'd like but the pole crossover designs sets most stable design for higher winds