Will I be cold? Sleeping pad

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
I have done a fair about of truck camping and short hikes which allowed me to bring a heavier sleeping pad rated at R-3.5 with me. I somewhat impulse bought a static v pad on sale rated at R-1.3

This fall I am planning my first backpack hunt to CO in September. It is Currently 92 outside here in NC so there is no way I can test my system out before the trip. Is the 1.3 rated pad with a 15 degree bag going to be enough or should I look for a smaller pad in the R 3 range?

chasewild

WKR
You're fine. You'll be pleased you saved weight. Not sure about the comfort, durability, etc. of the pad, but the R-value is not a concern.

carter33

WKR
I am not an expert but I believe the R-Value is the rating of insulation the pad provides, therefore it should matter. I don't know the temps you will be hunting but I would guess you may want to go with a more insulated pad. Below is an excerpt copied from REIs site on r-value:

"Insulation and R-Value
Even in summer, insulation is important to a good night’s sleep because you lose body heat to the ground. To counteract this, most air and self-inflating pads now have a layer of synthetic insulation inside. A few pads offer down insulation and tend to be geared toward sleeping in very cold environments.
A sleeping pad's R-value measures its capacity to resist (hence the "R") heat flow. The higher a pad’s R-value, the better you can expect it to insulate you from cold surfaces. The R-values shown on REI.com product pages are provided by the manufacturers and range from 1.0 (minimally insulated) to 9.5 (very well insulated).
Most manufacturers give either an R-value or temperature range to help you gauge how much insulation the pad provides. Thicker pads generally offer higher R-values and the average summer camping pad should be around 3 or higher. Campers who sleep cold, often women, may want to choose a pad with an R-value of at least 4. Some women-specific pads put more insulation in the core and feet area where women lose heat fastest. Note that unlike with sleeping bags, choosing a higher warmth rating in a sleeping pad won’t lead to overheating."

carter33

WKR
Having owned a few pads though I would say that the excerpt I copied in is off a bit, no way you need an r-value pad of 3 in the summer.

Sept is hit or miss and weather up high can get cold or it can be in the 40's at night and really comfortable. You won't know until you're on the mountain.

I personally wouldn't be carrying a pad with that low of an R value, but thats me. I sleep cold and prefer to be warm and vent versus cold trying to warm up. I use an Xtherm pad which is a 5+ R-value.

Depends on area hunting and when in sept. I hunt 10k and up which sometimes can get to a low of about 28.
d8cae2b4b5eccf8bc408b19a0951b6bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Brightwhite. Been in CO in Sept and froze with a lower R value pad. Bought an Xtherm and haven’t been let down yet. Run it in CO for elk and around here in OK for everything else. Never too warm and always glad I’ve got it with me in the mtns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Having owned a few pads though I would say that the excerpt I copied in is off a bit, no way you need an r-value pad of 3 in the summer.
Ummm... elevation in Colorado in September isn't exactly summer. I'd find something with more R value. I used that same pad he's talking about in September in Idaho... and slept miserably. I sleep warm too. I'd look at at least an R3 pad. Pony up the money and buy a good pad. Lack of sleep can spoil a hunt as much as ill fitting boots.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I haven't done any pad research for years but there ought to be quite a few super light, compact, high rated pads. I have a Neoair and have never been cold in Wyo or Colo....even during the winter. I've also used it quite a few times in Alaska in snowy conditions in August/Sept and never had a problem staying warm. If it's super cod it's possible to put on another layer. The Neoair's R rating I have is 3.2. It only weighs a few ounces and is super compact and light weight. I've never considered another pad since I bought it around 8 years ago...sleep like a baby!

lif

WKR
If it gets down to 35 degrees or less you will notice If you are using a quality zero degree bag it will help. Comfort will disrupt your sleep as much as cold. Sometimes it’s best to try it out and suffer to make those gear purchases. Everyone is different.

OP
Wildlifer

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the help. I guess I will look for another pad just to be safe. Not getting good sleep will have a ripple effect on the whole trip. If space and weight allow (or budget forces me to) I would like to take the pad I use truck camping but being over 2lbs it’s not ideal.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
A few years back I got a NeoAir XTherm, and I have used the heck out of it each year.

It is spendy for sure, but it's 15oz's, compresses down to nothing, and R5.7

I think the answer should be based mainly on the possible low temps you could encounter on your hunt. You always bring enough clothing to stay warm while hunting, and the same should apply to your bed. After all, you'll spend a third of your trip in a bag and on a mat. Make sure they're well suited for the potential low-end cold temps you could see. The lowest R-value pad I would ever take on an altitude hunt would be a minimum of 5. I'd rather vent all night versus shivering in a fetal position.

FlyGuy

WKR
I would absolutely not take a pad without an R Value of at least a 4.

They don't come cheap, and to get one light enough to pack w/o horses it's probably going to be noisey as Hell when you roll around on it, but you don't want to be up there without one. Take some cheap foam earplugs for sleeping. Helps to keep your buddy's snoring and the noise of him repositioning on his mat from disturbing your rest.

I recently started using this S2S pad based on feesback I read here on Rokslide and I'm very happy with it. R=5.

Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated Mat, Regular Amazon.com : Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated Mat : Sports & Outdoors

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

That sea 2 summit comfort plus insulated is the cats ass for comfort but is double the weight of a neoair xlite. I've been using a large xlite at 16 ounces comfortably down to mid 20s with a WM alpinlite (20 degree) bag.

jhm2023

WKR
Another thing to consider besides air temp and weather is the ground temp. I've been on mild weather hunts where I took an un-insulated pad. Air temp wise I was fine, but the part of me that was against the pad always stayed uncomfortably cold because the ground was partially frozen. I'm of the opinion that some extra ounces sacrificed on a better pad will result in a lot better sleep, which counters the effects that those ounces on your back might cause in fatigue. Just my .02 anyway.

Summitmike

Lil-Rokslider
For Me it's hard enough to get sleep at altitude and I live at 9200 ft. So what ever I can do to help sleep I do being cold at night is no fun I also run an xtherm it really makes a difference from my old 1.5 thermarrest

I always look at bag ratings as a "will keep you alive at this temp" number. 15 degree bag in the mountains would scare me personally. A zero down bag is my minimum for anytime of the year at 10,000 ft. I know this is a little overkill but its what gives me comfort. I have 3 bags. Zero, -10 and -20. The -20 is insane unless its in the teens or lower at night but the other 2 are fine from 35 to teens. I'm quite a bit less concerned with pad rating with my conservative bag approach but even with that I wouldn't go with an "uninsulated" pad. If I were to give reasonable advice I would say zero degree bag and an insulated pad of sorts (3-5). But if it were me I'm taking the -10 degree bag, accepting the weight penalty and offsetting with clothing . I like the insurance of knowing if things go south I have a place to ride it out. I was out camping with the kids last weekend at 10,000 ft and had my zero bag and insulated pad and just ran it like a quilt. Perfect I think. If my bag is too warm and I get to not sleep in it all mummied up I consider it a bonus.

Owenst7

WKR
I have that pad. I start getting chilled on it around 30°. A ridgerests underneath it made me hot. R value is summed, so I believe I was around R3 or something at that point.

I love the static V in the summer. The channels make it very breathable and mine has held up well to floorless use around goat heads and cacti. I'd buy an insulated version if I hadn't picked up an xtherm for cheap used.