Light 1-Man Tent

jmden

WKR
I tend to 'base camp' hunt. As such, I use my trekking poles throughout the day hunting and want my tent standing upright properly when I'm gone during the day. I do not care for trekking pole supported tents because of this. Many of them are not much lighter than a TarpTent Rainbow, the listed weight of which includes the pole.

I might have missed it, but has someone mention the Super Tarp yet? Light weight bombproof and big enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slim9300

WKR
I tend to 'base camp' hunt. As such, I use my trekking poles throughout the day hunting and want my tent standing upright properly when I'm gone during the day. I do not care for trekking pole supported tents because of this. Many of them are not much lighter than a TarpTent Rainbow, the listed weight of which includes the pole.

Gotcha. I hunt with a partner. So two poles hold up our shelter and two poles come with on the hunt. I don’t ever hunt with poles, only break them out when packing the animal. I could see how this setup would not be ideal. A dedicated carbon pole would be pretty light also.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The trekking pole supported tents are generally going to handle bad weather better than a tent like the Rainbow though. The dedicated poles for those shelters aren't very heavy either if you want to keep your trekking poles with you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jmden

WKR
The trekking pole supported tents are generally going to handle bad weather better than a tent like the Rainbow though. The dedicated poles for those shelters aren't very heavy either if you want to keep your trekking poles with you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Maybe. Depends on many factors. There's video of a TarpTent Rainbow in extremely high winds, not using the external guy out points, and it survived. It has multiple guyout points that could be used. I don't use that tent if I think I'm going to be in a nasty storm 20 miles back. That trekking pole suppored tent is not going to do very well when 50mph gusts come up and my poles are with me. Nor is it going to allow my sleeping bag, etc. to dry out well during the day, something I have found is important to do, when the tent is collapsed around bag, gear, etc. all day long. Bring a carbon pole(s) instead of trekking poles? Sure.

slim9300

WKR
Maybe. Depends on many factors. There's video of a TarpTent Rainbow in extremely high winds, not using the external guy out points, and it survived. It has multiple guyout points that could be used. I don't use that tent if I think I'm going to be in a nasty storm 20 miles back. That trekking pole suppored tent is not going to do very well when 50mph gusts come up and my poles are with me. Nor is it going to allow my sleeping bag, etc. to dry out well during the day, something I have found is important to do, when the tent is collapsed around bag, gear, etc. all day long. Bring a carbon pole(s) instead of trekking poles? Sure.

That is what he and I are saying, something like the seek outside carbon pole.

The value of a shelter you can walk into is very hard to explain until you hunt out of one. Same with having extra space for no weight penalty.

It appears the Ultramid is capable of significantly more wind than the Rainbow based on what I have seen. Show me the video with the Rainbow handling high wind.

I don’t see why you would want to make compromises on a shelter. Storms are very common in the backcountry. Sometimes walking out isn’t possible.

jmden

WKR
I've made and sold TipiTent Shelters for years, so am well aware of the advantages of 'mids' on many levels: Home - WildSide Systems. The Rainbow had done very well for me for a number of years and I like what it does...for me. YMMV. Always like to investigate new options, however.

HookUp

WKR
I would consider a Cimmeron from Seekoutside. A taller floorless shleter allows for more comfort than a tent.

ndbuck09

WKR
Notch Li – Tarptent

20oz. Dual Wall.

I have the Tarptent ProTrail I use here in Idaho and just picked up a Scarp 1 for a caribou hunt in AK. Tarptents are very well put together so I'm sure this Dyneema tent is going to be pretty sweet for lower 48 backpack hunts. I'd rather have a dual wall tent over a single wall (Protrail) any day if there isn't a weight penalty so at some point I'm going to get the Notch Li and sell my protrail. Btw you can buy 45 inch poles to use instead of trekking poles.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Notch Li – Tarptent

20oz. Dual Wall.

I have the Tarptent ProTrail I use here in Idaho and just picked up a Scarp 1 for a caribou hunt in AK. Tarptents are very well put together so I'm sure this Dyneema tent is going to be pretty sweet for lower 48 backpack hunts. I'd rather have a dual wall tent over a single wall (Protrail) any day if there isn't a weight penalty so at some point I'm going to get the Notch Li and sell my protrail. Btw you can buy 45 inch poles to use instead of trekking poles.

The Notch Li doesn't seem wide enough for a 25" pad.

woodson

FNG
Six moons lunar solo. I have the LE with the heavier floor. it sets up nicely with a trek pole. The poles they sell are for the summer hikers. The bathtub floor is really high. fully enclosed with a decent vestibule that you can cook under. single wall, so you will be rubbing the water off the sides and top. I am 5-10. I wouldn't really recommend for somebody shorter than me.

^^
I an 6'3", 220, and love this tent. Used it on my 7 day backcountry backpack elk/mule deer hunt last year and it is great. Can't beat the weight and ease of setup, and the bathtub floor is nice to have.

I also have the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout Solo, which weighs a bit more, but is just as awesome. I use these 2 tents 99% of the time now, and with a bit of seam sealing and a good trekking pole they are hard to beat. The Lunar Solo runs $225, but the Skyscape Scout is only $135. If I could do it all over I would probably have just bought the Scout.

Six Moon Designs: one and two person tents