Kifaru Back country Body bag out.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It does look pretty cool, I’m thinking hard about ordering one, I need a new bag in that range anyhow.

HookUp

WKR
I'm not seeing what niche this fills. Heavy and big with only a 25 degree rating. Always looking to add Kifaru gear giving this the pass.

BrentH

WKR
I love my Kifaru stuff, but I also don’t really see what void this bag will fill. Patiently waiting for the quilt to be released, but will either order the slick bag or the quilt (depending on price/temp rating).

they just put it up on FB. Its on their website too. Looks pretty good.

What about it looks pretty good? The Kifaru name?

At 2.5lbs for a 25 degree bag that will fill a third or more of my pack I would have to disagree.

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
Well considering my bag is about 4 pounds it does fill a niche for me. Not everyone on this site travels 10 miles in the back country and counts every ounce but when u can cut 1.5 pounds it may make sense. Besides I like the option of having a bag or quilt depending on how warm or cold it is.

What about it looks pretty good? The Kifaru name?

At 2.5lbs for a 25 degree bag that will fill a third or more of my pack I would have to disagree.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well considering my bag is about 4 pounds it does fill a niche for me. Not everyone on this site travels 10 miles in the back country and counts every ounce but when u can cut 1.5 pounds it may make sense. Besides I like the option of having a bag or quilt depending on how warm or cold it is.
True, but an EE Convert will do the same thing and cut 2.5lbs from your weight. Plenty of options in that weight range from other companies for less money. I'm sure it's built well, but it doesn't solve any needs for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

snowplow

WKR
Is this like a bivy too? Why is it much different than a bag? Is it just because you can use it like a quilt or bag? So far l like the idea of my OV mummypod better from what l understand of it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

superA

WKR
True, but an EE Convert will do the same thing and cut 2.5lbs from your weight. Plenty of options in that weight range from other companies for less money. I'm sure it's built well, but it doesn't solve any needs for me.

By the time the convert is down to 20 degrees and long/wide version you're at about 2 pounds. That's for down. Some people see advantages to synthetic.

sneaky

"DADDY"
They might, but ounce for ounce down is substantially warmer than synthetic. It's why it takes more synthetic to equal the same temp rating in a down product. There's another thread on here where they posted the thermal ratings of down vs synthetic materials. It's pretty enlightening.
By the time the convert is down to 20 degrees and long/wide version you're at about 2 pounds. That's for down. Some people see advantages to synthetic.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Heck, I've got a zero degree WM BAG that is a little over 2.5lbs in a 6'6" length. I guarantee it's warmer than this.

Lawnboi

WKR
Kifaru sleep gear has never been light weight. It's synthetic, and built to be tough, what do you expect.

I ran a doobie as a sleeping bag for 2 years, it was okay down to around freezing with a bivy. I can see one of these being nice for a summer beater bag, for times I don't want to jump into my WM covered in fish slime and bug spray.

Looking at the convert apex, the long/xwide has similar dimensions, both 70" at top but the kifaru is wider at the foot end. 35.27 ounces for the 30 degree convert and 44.49 ounces for the 20 degree so the body bag falls falls smack dab between them in weight and temperature rating. Personally I'd rather have a side zip for entry and exit so +1 for kifaru.

If I had to optimize it I'd go with a side or chest zip of EE's convert reg/wide dimensions to get rid of uneccesary volume, put thinner 2.5 ish apex on a portion of the bottom to reduce weight, and taper back in a bit above the shoulders to seal off drafts and trim some more weight.

Dang.. got me thinking here. The ultimate would be an EE conundrum but with a side zip, put 30 or 40 degree spec baffles on the bottom 1/3 and 10 degree baffles on the rest.. could get that SOB down to 23 ounces in reg/wide with 950 fill and I bet it would be a toasty! Need to supplement with the hoodlum or something else if maxing it out but dang that would be sweet.

superA

WKR
They might, but ounce for ounce down is substantially warmer than synthetic. It's why it takes more synthetic to equal the same temp rating in a down product. There's another thread on here where they posted the thermal ratings of down vs synthetic materials. It's pretty enlightening.

Weight/warmth was not the advantages I was referring to. I use down, but I don't/haven't yet done any very wet and cold mountain camping. If I was going way back in the mountains in the winter and only relying on myself I would be very tempted to use synthetic.