Hammocks???

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
I've been on the search for a shelter for an upcoming hunt, and had just about settled on a floorless shelter. Well I came across a video of people using hammocks, and it peaked my interest again. After researching, and thinking long and hard about it, I'm wondering why more people don't do it? I know you can't hammock without trees obviously, but considering you have trees to hang a hammock from, what are the cons of hammock camping? With a good tarp, good hammock, a good under-quilt, this seems like a super lite weight setup that will keep you off a hard or wet floor. Am I missing something? This really seems like the way to go to me. Plus I sleep like a baby in a hammock.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hammocks are easy to set up level if you have trees the right distance apart. They suck above treeline. They're not that fun to ride out bad storms in. They are harder to stay warm in and unless you know what you're doing you can freeze your tail off.

Also, my hammock setups will weigh more than a floorless with pad and quilt.

Dwnorton1

FNG
Hammocks are awesome. All you have to do is find two sufficiently sturdy trees about 15' apart. Does not matter if its located on a 45 degree slope of rock. Put your hammock level and your done. While your buddy is trying to find a flat spot without rocks, your taking a nice nap.
It is essential that you have under quilt or you will freeze your butt off literally. Nice fly above. I learned hard way to carry an extra tarp to cover up backpack etc with. If I were riding out long duration storm I had rather been in tent but that is only real big drawback.
If I were going to hunt Dall sheep where there are no trees I would go with tent, but where I hunt in Colo I am right at treeline and would want to deal with the blasting wind on top anyway.

I run a Clark NX-250 and their clima-shield under quilt, with a down top quilt. I have slept comfortably down to 15 degree that is without being dressed out BTW.

I have nice tent setup, (floored) but as total sleep system the hammock runs close 1 1/2 to 2 pounds less than the tent when comparing total system.

For reference to compare to your preferred tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad (not needed in hammock), rain-fly, stakes for comparison to hammock setup listed below.

Hammock 2lb 15 oz
underquilt 1lb 12 oz
Vertex tarp 1lb 2 oz
Stakes 10oz
Down quilt 1lb 13 oz
total 8lb 4oz

All comes down to preference. I hunt solo most of time so am forced to carry full sleep system myself. If you are hunting with someone you can split system up to reduce weight on each person ,but even then it would still be close. It really boils down to preference, but I can be chilling out in my hammock in less than 5 minutes anywhere I can find two trees correct distance apart. I have even used giant boulder and tree once very nicely.
I still use both systems and would not want to camp much below the 15 degree mark even if it could be done comfortably and would love to have a seek shelter with a nice fireplace to keep it warm, but would still likely use hammock 90% of time.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Hacmmock with bug net, tarp, straps, will weigh more than you think but setup is so easy. I have mine setup with guy lines for the tarp and net and fold it all up into a dry bag and it is up in less than a minute. In PA, it seems like the trees are too close together more often than too far apart.

OP
PowellSixO

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking about using the Outdoor Vitals Aerie 30 degree Hammock/Underquilt (1lb. 13oz.), with an Outdoor Vitals Ultralight Insulated Sleeping Pad R-4 (1lb. 2oz.), an Outdoor Vitals 0 Degree Stormloft Down Sleeping Bag (2lb. 10oz.), and an Outdoor Vitals 6 sided Ultralight Hammock Tarp (1lb. 0oz.). Total weight would be right at 6lb. 9oz.. Any ideas on how cold my comfort rating will be with this setup? I'm hoping 15 degrees will be doable. What do you guys think?

OP
PowellSixO

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Oh, and I should mention that it will be me and my brother. So we will be able to split stuff up, and hopefully sleep under the same tarp. Just use a common tree for the feet, and use separate trees for the head. We will be around 9,000 feet during the first week of October. So it shouldn't be too terribly cold, but has the potential to get 0 degrees possibly.

I use both a hammock and my floorless shelters depending on location and season. The weight breakdown you show seems heavy, and I do not see the actual hammock? Also looking at that "system" I would recommend you go with a more traditional underquilt. The Outdoor Vital does not look like it is conducive to a diagonal lay to get flat in the hammock.

Look around the web a bit more (hammockforum) if you are thinking of going hammock. There are many people who make quality gear that will be much lighter if you plan to go this route. Get an 11' for comfort. Good underquilt and you will not need the pad.

Oh, and though it sounds good to share a tarp, in practice it is more difficult to find 3 trees in perfect position to do this to save a pound.

OP
PowellSixO

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
I use both a hammock and my floorless shelters depending on location and season. The weight breakdown you show seems heavy, and I do not see the actual hammock? Also looking at that "system" I would recommend you go with a more traditional underquilt. The Outdoor Vital does not look like it is conducive to a diagonal lay to get flat in the hammock.

Look around the web a bit more (hammockforum) if you are thinking of going hammock. There are many people who make quality gear that will be much lighter if you plan to go this route. Get an 11' for comfort. Good underquilt and you will not need the pad.

Oh, and though it sounds good to share a tarp, in practice it is more difficult to find 3 trees in perfect position to do this to save a pound.
Thanks for the post. I'll check out the hammock forum. And your are correct. I did not list the hammock. So my total weight would be even heavier. I'll have to keep researching. Keep in mind I don't have a bunch of $$$ to spend right now, so I'm not going to be able to buy the lightest of the lightest equipment. Right now my current tent weighs almost 6lbs. So if I can get down to 4lbs, without the sleeping bag I'll be happy. Another big reason for the sleep system change, is room in my bag. My current tent is a monster. It has to go on the outside of my pack. View attachment 73581

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I went all in on hammocks about three years ago and try not to sleep in a tent unless I have to. My setup for hammock w/bug net, tarp, underquilt, topquilt, and lines and suspension is maybe 5 lbs and good to 20 degrees. And for me it is so much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground or a cot that it isn't even a comparison. I actually prefer a hammock to a bed. It is pricey and took some experimentation to get my setup dialed, but it is pretty sweet now. And as long as there are trees, you can camp, no need for flat spots.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. And I highly recommend hammockforums.

Fitzwho

WKR
I went hammock last year. My first year hunting out west was spent in a tent with a Klymit Luxe pad, kept me warm, but even that big pad couldn’t keep me comfortable laying on the ground. Would wake up with my shoulders and hips totally soar. My current setup is 5.13lbs with:
-Bearded Hanger 11.5’ Imperial Hammock (right at 16oz with tree straps)
-Hummingbird Hammocks Pelican Tarp (16 oz with ridge line and carbon fiber stakes)
-Cedar Ridge Fontana Top quilt (20F) (24oz)
-Cedar Ridge Fontana Under quilt (30F) (28oz)

I could save a little weight by trimming the tree straps a little bit. I use whoopie slings and a marlin spike knot, so don’t usually need super long straps with the adjustability of the slings.

I still have some playing to do on streamlining setup, but I have confidence in all of that gear.

superA

WKR
I went all in on hammocks about three years ago and try not to sleep in a tent unless I have to. My setup for hammock w/bug net, tarp, underquilt, topquilt, and lines and suspension is maybe 5 lbs and good to 20 degrees. And for me it is so much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground or a cot that it isn't even a comparison. I actually prefer a hammock to a bed. It is pricey and took some experimentation to get my setup dialed, but it is pretty sweet now. And as long as there are trees, you can camp, no need for flat spots.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. And I highly recommend hammockforums.

Break it down man!

ethan

WKR
I like my hammock on backcountry fishing trips or when I’m doing some scouting and it’s relatively warm. But if it’s cool out they can sleep cold, as mentioned. From my point of view if I have to pack in an under quilt it tips the scales towards just running my tent because of the weight penalty and the additional room for gear.

Fitzwho

WKR
The lightest setup I can run is a using my tarp as a floor less shelter, with my top quilt and my klymit luxe, and some tyvek for ground cloth. The Lixe is 35oz. But there’s not much weight with the rest of that setup. I just don’t sleep well on the ground. There are much lighter pads to be had than the one I use, but I haven’t found one at that weight, R-rating, and thickness, though I still don’t sleep well on it.