Helpful Discussion on Sleeping Bags vs Quilts, Ideal Temp Ratings, etc...

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Our latest podcast addresses quite a few questions that seem to come up in this forum on a frequent basis. Bags vs quilts, ideal temperature ratings, pad choices, etc. The guest is the owner of Katabatic Gear, which though not as well known in the hunting circles, are very popular quilt makers with backpackers and thru-hikers.

Here's a direct link. http://exomountaingear.com/130. The show is also available in iTunes, Stitcher, etc.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
To those looking to purchase a quilt or learn more about them, this was a very insightful podcast. I found it to be an interesting listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was some good informative stuff on the podcast. However, I don't feel the bag vs quilt portion is helpful to everyone when the interview is with a quilt manufacturer who sees no situation where a bag is a better choice.

Katabatic seems to have some very well thought out quilts. I have their bristlecone bivy and am fond of it.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Was a great discussing imo, Mark. Some of the arguments for the quilt were things I had never heard presented before and make me interested to try one. The thoughts on temperature rating and how to compare bags was pretty valuable as well.

Good stuff.

Trial153

WKR
I enjoyed the pod cast, picked up a couple of good bits of info that will help with my quilt shoping. Think i am going to pull the trigger on one shortly

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR
Like others, I thought this was a good podcast too. I picked up a few tidbits and it provided more food for thought as I've been considering a quilt.

Thanks Mark and Steve!

Beendare

WKR
"No situation where a bag is better"

Ha, thats funny.

How about versatility- I can run my bag zipped when really cold, unzipped when warm like a quilt....or anywhere in between.

No drafts in a bag unless I want one

I can throw my clothes in my bag to keep them warm, dry them out etc....same with my Canister for my stove if its really cold. Try keeping your canister or clothes in a quilt without them sliding out.

Quilts are fine....but bags give you more versatility.

WKR
"No situation where a bag is better"

Ha, thats funny.

How about versatility- I can run my bag zipped when really cold, unzipped when warm like a quilt....or anywhere in between.

No drafts in a bag unless I want one

I can throw my clothes in my bag to keep them warm, dry them out etc....same with my Canister for my stove if its really cold. Try keeping your canister or clothes in a quilt without them sliding out.

Quilts are fine....but bags give you more versatility.

I'm sort of wondering where the advantages are on the other side of the coin. Why a quilt? Weight savings is the only real reason I can come up with but then you have to start adding pieces and parts to the kit (straps, headwear, etc.) to make them work like... a bag. I might just be too dumb for a quilt system.

Beendare

WKR
Ha! Me too.

They say they are lighter....but then they don't insulate below you....and when checking into quilts the maker recommended I go up in fill to mitigate the issues with a quilt....so no weight savings.

I get that some guys can't sleep in a bag. I've been doing it since a kid so my only issue is the fit as I'm a big guy....so I have the Montbell stretch bags so I can move around all I want.

No one size fits all....I think a quilt is a good option for warmer climates.

slick

WKR
Ha! Me too.

They say they are lighter....but then they don't insulate below you....and when checking into quilts the maker recommended I go up in fill to mitigate the issues with a quilt....so no weight savings.

I get that some guys can't sleep in a bag. I've been doing it since a kid so my only issue is the fit as I'm a big guy....so I have the Montbell stretch bags so I can move around all I want.

No one size fits all....I think a quilt is a good option for warmer climates.

A quilt doesn’t insulate you below, nor does a sleeping bag. Its your pad that should have a high enough r value (4.5+) to keep you insulated from the ground.

They do take some getting used to, but I’ve found after the first 5 nights or so it just takes a few more seconds to attach the elastic wraps under neath the pad. This eliminates the problem of your bag/you sliding off the pad. I haven’t had any drafts, although I would say if you plan on using it in 20 or below weather- get a sewn foot box.

Not for everyone but worth a try, and I’ve found the weight savings to be nice.

I would tend to disagree that a bag does not insulate beneath you. Obviously they do not insulate to the extent they do above but they do have an impact. You hear things like "a high R-Value pad is important with a quilt" and "a liner adds 10 degrees to the rating of your bag" which indicate that you do get something from having insulation beneath you even if it's just a little.

I said it in a different thread but I think a bag like the EE conundrum or Zpacks bags with 40 or 50 degree baffles on the bottom and 15-20 degree baffles on the top 2/3 would be the ultimate in light weight fuss free comfort down to about 20 degrees, below that i'd rather have full functional hood.

sbsyncro

FNG
I have to admit that I am very skeptical about quilts, though I have not tried one of the fancy new technical ones that seem to be all the rage right now. I just don't think there's anything such thing as a "free lunch". By the time you add all the necessary bits to stay warm, you might as well just have a good down bag.

The worst sleep I ever had on a back country trip was with a fancy new $250 Big Agnes "super lightweight" 15º bag that relied on an insulated pad underneath, as it had only top insulation and a 'sleeve' underneath for the $130 pad. I spent a miserable week freezing my ass off in weather that wasn't really that cold (maybe down to high 20's at night) and returned it to REI as soon as I got back.

Summer camping in the woods with my wife? Heck yea, we just bring an old down comforter and it is bliss. But serious cold weather back country camping with a "quilt"? No thanks.