What would you buy?

WYCFM1

WKR
Rigging up for back country elk hunt in Wyoming this year. I’ll be hunting mostly September. I need to decide on a sleeping bag or quilt. I can’t spend more than $250 on it tho. Your the experts. What would you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is rest of your system? Tent or floor less etc. Pad?
All on your back or packing in with stock?

OP
WYCFM1

WYCFM1

WKR
Sleeping pad. All on my back.

dog812

WKR
I have been using a marmot trestles 13 for years. It's a little heavy at just under 4# but if your in some what decent shape you won't notice the extra couple pounds. I have never been cold, it has performed flawless. I have thought about upgrading. But have just spent the money elsewhere.

OP
WYCFM1

WYCFM1

WKR
I might have to spend a few extra bucks over my budget and get an EE or Katabatic then? I’m more into keeping things light and 100% all about comfort.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What pad do you have? A good bag or quilt is only half the equation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Muttly

WKR
10-20°, and light, has a nice ring to it!
Few years back had Underground Quilts build me a custom Flight Jacket quilt, mostly just a wider cut than what they were currently offering at 64". I sleep hot, so went with a 30°, and paid the extra for the lighter fill, can't remember at the moment if I went 850 or 900..
Couldn't hurt to check out there sight, just priced out one of their Bandit XLs, with 65" width, 20°fill, etc, was right at $249, with a 4 to 6 week lead time.
The extra width is nice if you tend to toss and turn, avoid drafts, which would probably make you hate a quilt in short order..
They also have ready to ship quilts, think they are slightly lower prices.

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
What they said. I have a pile of bags and just upgraded my pad and it is all the difference.

OP
WYCFM1

WYCFM1

WKR
What do you guys think of katabatic flex 22° with attachments to a sleeping pad?

OP
WYCFM1

WYCFM1

WKR
Sorry I do not have the thermorest pad. I have the Nemo Astro air 20r.

geriggs

WKR
I had a katabatic 15 deg quilt. not the flex. Was super light and plenty warm . 15 deg quilt. I sold it. Was an amazing piece of gear but i found quilts arent for me. Im a big guy and i get lots of drafts on my side. and my pillow is always falling off the pad because there is nothing to keep it from sliding off. In a bag i have the pillow in the bag and it stays. (1st world problems i know)

What do you guys think of katabatic flex 22° with attachments to a sleeping pad?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For packing in I use a 0 degree down quilt through September on an Xtherm pad. In base camp I use a big thick heavy rectangular bag on a bunch of foam and a cot. I refuse to be cold.

Muttly

WKR
For some reason I am not seeing the width of the long/wide on the katabatic web site, just seeing 54", which I would guess is for the regular..which would be too narrow for this kid..
Whatever width you are contemplating, find something the same size at home, and pull it over you like you would a quilt. Do a little tossing and turning and see if it let's in drafts.
If it does, you want wider.
If you sleep on your back and don't move much during the night, get a little more wiggle room in going narrower.
And you can always open them up, get a little ventilation to cool down.
Pads, also a big part of the equation.

TJ

WKR
The x-lite has a 3.5 R value. Unless your a warm sleeper I would get a lower degree rated bag or quilt.

I am a cold sleeper an use a zero degree quilt.

I tried a pad with 3.5 r value and froze 2 years in Sept in CO. Switched to an Xtherm (5.7r value) and have been much happier. Also switched to a 0* Slick bag and that paired with my Xtherm is perfect for me chasing elk in Sept at 11,000 plus feet.

TJ

WKR
I tried a pad with 3.5 r value and froze 2 years in Sept in CO. Switched to an Xtherm (5.7r value) and have been much happier. Also switched to a 0* Slick bag and that paired with my Xtherm is perfect for me chasing elk in Sept at 11,000 plus feet.

Couldn't agree more. The pad you choose is as important as your bag in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more. The pad you choose is as important as your bag in my opinion.

I tried to “get by” with a less expensive pad lower r value pad and paid for it for 5 days. Decided it was worth the extra money for the warmth. Less overall weight was just a bonus.