SeaToSummit Reactor bag liners - anyone use one?

TauPhi111

WKR
I was pricing out some backpacking items at my local Cabelas today, and one of the sales associates showed me these sleeping bag liners that he recommended for adding a few extra degrees of warmth to a sleeping bag. The brand was called SeaToSummit and they were called "Reactor Thermolites" opposed to ones that did not really add any additional warmth. They look very compact and light weight.Anyone use one? Do they work pretty well or are they just more of a hassle? I'm thinking of getting one so I'd be able to get a bag rated for a little warmer temp and have a system that is less bulky and more versatile.

Thanks!

I have used a reactor for years. Not only does it feel good against the body it actually works. I use one in my marmot hydrogen 30 degree bag to add to temperature rating. Now I honestly don’t believe their rating system on the reactors, but in my bag it does give me an extra 7-10 degrees.

The wife uses one and she really likes it. It does add some warmth to a bag, but not at it's equivalent weight to a better bag.

I use one, but not because it adds much warmth. I wouldn't guess more than 5 degrees. However, I will climb in that if I just need to take the chill off, or wrap up in it when glassing, or use it by itself (plus my usual clothing)when its summer time and Im out scouting. For the weight, I almost always bring it. I justify this by the multiple uses I have found for it.

I bought one when they first came out because I thought of the multiple uses.
But ended up just using a bag that is appropriate for the temps.

I would sell you mine if you want to try it out...PM me.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Don't buy it for extra warmth. Buy it for the extra comfort and cleanliness for your bag. I dumped mine for most use when I went quilt, but pretty religiously used a liner with my down mummy bags. Helps keep your body moisture out of the down in super-humid areas.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Don't buy it for extra warmth. Buy it for the extra comfort and cleanliness for your bag. I dumped mine for most use when I went quilt, but pretty religiously used a liner with my down mummy bags. Helps keep your body moisture out of the down in super-humid areas.

good advice. I do plan on getting a down bag for weight. In that case,would you recommend getting a reactor or just the silk kind that don't really add any insulation?

Gumbo

WKR
Absolute waste of money for me. It added no noticeable warmth IMO and as a guy who tosses and turns a lot it got unbearably twisted and bunched up. I sold mine.

dtrkyman

WKR
I am not convinced it adds any warmth but it is nice to keep your stinky a-- off your bag;)

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I tried one once. I got so twisted up and tangled in the dang thing I immediately removed and returned it. Not a fan.

Absolute waste of money for me. It added no noticeable warmth IMO and as a guy who tosses and turns a lot it got unbearably twisted and bunched up. I sold mine.

I agree, I got one for my Montana trip last year and the added warmth was very limited, maybe 5 degrees at best. I also got tangled and it usually ended up halfway off whenever I would wake up, no matter how snug I cinched the top.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I see what bag I get for this year and see what the weather is going to be like during my trip before I decide to get one of these