Henry Shires Tarprent Notch LI review by Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Tarptent has joined the Dyneema fabric shelter game!

I’ll be sharing what I experience with the new Notch LI.
e29f84ed2e6cb5112e395a9e08f61335.heic

fc8cd3dbe5c513554d08029511212073.heic

af4ea50201a929832ce8d3bede7274b6.heic

ad05a677984dd5611fc350c1b76792b9.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
This will replace my Tarptent Protrail as my summer and early fall shelter. I plan to use it until snow becomes likely on my backpack hunts this season.
At 19 ounces, I couldn't resist giving it a go!

I will most likely be scouting CO mid July and will be in Nevada in August for the archery deer. This will be my first time getting it out and I will report back asap with a video recap to let you know how it did!

Here is the specs from Tarptent; Notch Li – Tarptent

sneaky

"DADDY"
I wish they would do this in the green or camo cuben. That would be the ticket!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Crap, they're back in stock. I've been eyeing one of these for a while anyways. Decisions decisions.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm curious what just the outer fly weighs. They say the silnylon floored inner adds an ounce overall, but don't mention the separate component weights.

Tony, can you get your boots, pack and gear inside the shelter with you? Is there room?

I’ve got an Ibex hunt in NM planned and will need to have everything tucked inside my shelter because of the many snakes, spiders, and scorpions that will surely try to get me while I sleep. Can’t afford to wake up to biting and stinging things in gear left outside the shelter.

Thanks, Bill

I'm curious what just the outer fly weighs. They say the silnylon floored inner adds an ounce overall, but don't mention the separate component weights.

The fly only (with stakes included: you need those to set it up!) is just under 10oz.

Thanks for doing the review, Tony! Excited to hear your thoughts about the feasibility of this shelter for backcountry hunting!

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Tony, can you get your boots, pack and gear inside the shelter with you? Is there room?

I’ve got an Ibex hunt in NM planned and will need to have everything tucked inside my shelter because of the many snakes, spiders, and scorpions that will surely try to get me while I sleep. Can’t afford to wake up to biting and stinging things in gear left outside the shelter.

I will get my gear and try. I hope so, that's usually how I like to sleep. Had to many critters chew up gear.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The fly only (with stakes included: you need those to set it up!) is just under 10oz.

Thanks for doing the review, Tony! Excited to hear your thoughts about the feasibility of this shelter for backcountry hunting!

Thanks Erica!

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
[video=youtube;l_r3TCm7R5g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_r3TCm7R5g[/video]

Here is my first impression of the tent.

Clarktar

WKR
Can you run it without the innder tent? If so, how much does just the outer tarp weight?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Yes, it can be used inner only or outer only. I’ll weigh the two separate and report back. I’m betting the inner mesh is heavier than the outer Dyneema

sneaky

"DADDY"
Can you run it without the innder tent? If so, how much does just the outer tarp weight?

I asked in a separate thread on here and Erica from tarptent said the outer tent weighs 10oz on its own.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Actually, she posted the reply earlier in this thread lol

Clarktar

WKR
Whoops! Damn, 10 oz is really appealing. I have a hard time deciding on a shelter for one, or pay a bit more money for a duomid.. and have a one person or two person if needed with duomid