Good bag for kids?

snowplow

WKR
Anybody know of a good bag to look for for kids?

I was hoping to find something better than the run of the mill ones at fred meyer. Mainly so they are a little more packable so they can carry them themselves in a mini backpack trip.

Is there anything thats a good bang for the buck?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
We have Rei kindercones for our kids. They are pretty nice and can be had relatively cheap when rei does sales. A few other companies have come out with similar designs recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That said I got both my boys a Marmot Neversummer for sub $200 on sale. Light down bag rated to zero. I wouldn’t spend too much on the short bag cuz they grow out of em quick.

Check out the Kelty kids bags. easily stitched in half for under 2yo and cheap. Temp rating is accurate as well.

Just going through this.

Have a couple Kindercones. Fine for car or ATV camping, but way bulky and 3+ lbs each so not ideal for backpacking.

Picked up an REI Radiant 20F kids bag earlier this spring. 600FP down and right around 2lbs. Packs to less than half the size of the Kindercones and I picked it up on sale for just a hair over $100. My 6 yr old daughter has done two trips this year in cold and wet weather with no issues at all. She thinks it's great and so do I. Lightest and most compact of all the kids bags I could find.

My 8 yr old son is using a hand me down adult bag that works pretty well. Once they get of any size at all, it's best to just upgrade them to the real thing.

I'm still stumped on what to do for the toddler. I've got a 2 yr old that needs something better than the "princess" bags. Tried to convince her that wrapping up in a blanket would work, but in classic toddler fashion she wants a bag like her siblings have! We have a fairly good length backpacking trip happening in July, so it's becoming a pressing matter.

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
After having our kindercones for a while I would agree that they are definitely bulky but fine for car camping.

I’m thinking a good idea would be to just get an adult down bag and then use a Velcro cord keeper to resize it for a kid. Same idea but more flexible.