Quilt Temp Rating for 2nd Rifle Season CO Elk and All Around Use?

So I keep going back and forth on sleeping options. I have a -20 degree bag that I use now when I truck camp and need to get a lightweight option for when I spike camp. I am coming around to the idea of spending more money than I originally wanted to spend and going the quilt route. I like the Enlightened Equipment Revelation and the Convert. Can anyone recommend one over the other? I am leaning towards the Revelation due to the weight difference.

What temp rating should I be looking at? I want to use this for elk in October. I was considering the 20 degree option but after some reading some guys are saying go to a 10 degree or 0 degree. What say you? Any real world experience out there that can help shed some light on this?

I’ve used a Revelation 10 degree in Colorado 2nd season. It’s plenty warm and light but practice setting it up with the straps and such to keep the drafts out. Also, I’m 5’ 11” and I use a wide/long and would not go smaller. I can clip the waist clips together directly without use the strap and then only use the shoulder strap up top if I need to batten down. I’ve used this same quilt in 4th season rifle too and it went fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I prefer a sewn footbox vs a drawstring for cold weather. My Rev X is fine, but you've got to plug the hole in the footbox with something to take it down to its' rating.

Regarding ratings, I think EE in general is pretty optimistic. I've got a 20° Rev X and a 0° Enigma with overstuff, and I think the Enigma might go to it's rating with the overstuff.

Plan on taking an insulated hooded jacket, beanie, and balaclava if you're doing a quilt in cold weather. They're all multiuse, and can all be used for sleeping insulation.

OP
T
Yeah that's why I'm thinking I'm better off going with a 10 degree. I doubt I will be using it in the late season. For that I will be truck camping with my big bag.

Will a beanie, balaclava, etc be necessary in say 20 degree weather? I'm trying to lighten my pack and simplify my setup and don't want to carry more gear than necessary. That's one of the reasons I'm drawn to the quilt vs a mummy. Plus I'm side sleeper that is broad shouldered so it is super tough to fine a good mummy bag that I fit in.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
YES, head insulation would be necessary at 20°, unless your hair is on fire.

I can do those temps in a beanie and neck gaiter that pulls up under my nose. For real cold I'd just wear my Patagonia Down Sweater Hoodie with the hood up.

That's the beauty of a quilt in the cold - hood on sleeping bag is single use. Hood on a jacket, neck gaiter, beanie, they're all multi use, and come in real handy if sitting still for hours in the cold and wind.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It depends on whether you're a cold or warm sleeper. I have to be moving to generate heat, so I use a 0 degree even in the summer on an Xtherm pad, and that's wearing merino base layers and a fleece hat. That's good for me through September. For October I'd want something much warmer.