SO Cimarron nest and condensation

Lawnboi

WKR
Not really.

It keeps a little off you. But the condensation still forms if you don't ventilate properly. Even then it still can be bad. But that's part of sleeping in a lightweight tent.

A couple of years ago I propositioned SO to make the outer wall of the nest out of the same material as the liner which would do what you're asking. Whoever I spoke with had no interest in that convo. Sad IMO because it would be a sweet upgrade.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The original nests had the solid backs that you requested. The problem with them is that in sub-freezing temps condensation would form and freeze on the inside of the nest.

The solid mesh is better all round than the solid back was. Ventilation or a stove are the most effective ways to deal with condensation, though liners help a lot in the bigger shelters.

The original nests had the solid backs that you requested. The problem with them is that in sub-freezing temps condensation would form and freeze on the inside of the nest.

The solid mesh is better all round than the solid back was. Ventilation or a stove are the most effective ways to deal with condensation, though liners help a lot in the bigger shelters.

Thanks for the explanation. Great to hear that it was tested.

Does the half nest used in the Cimarron cut down on condensation issues?

I found that if I use the nest and allow the cimarron to have about 1/2 inch of air gap from ground to canopy on 1-2 sides, I have very little issues with condensation for me + 1.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I found that if I use the nest and allow the cimarron to have about 1/2 inch of air gap from ground to canopy on 1-2 sides, I have very little issues with condensation for me + 1.

Correct. Without a nest many pitch it to the ground to minimize drafts. That is great, but when it is calm it increases condensation. If you are using a nest, the nest minimizes sleeping drafts, so you can lift it a bit which greatly reduces condensation.

We also have 2 videos that detail causes and resolutions
[video=youtube_share;alqFWkojPnI]https://youtu.be/alqFWkojPnI[/video]