Lightweight Tent advice

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I am in the market for a new tent to bring with me for my early season extended day archery hunts. Weather isn't too extreme where i hunt just some wind/rain/lightening storms at times. Really leaning towards a tarptent stratosphere or a few of their other models. I like the stratosphere because i can keep all my gear/bow/optics inside safe from the weather and i use trekking poles. Also, really interested in getting the motrail for fast set up with the added room. Would like to stay around the 2 pound range, and really not interested in a floorless. (tyvec frustrates me haha) Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with these models or what works for you guys and your thoughts. Open to other brands as well. thanks!

Last edited:

texag10

WKR
I had a contrail (predecessor to protrail) for a few years. I gave it to my BIL once I got a SO Silvertip. It was terribly cramped, drafty, and noisy in winds. The ridgeline on the protrail should give more room and be better in wind. Quality wise it was good, just not a great design in my opinion.

dtrkyman

WKR
I just got a Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT Tarp Shelter, have yet to use it but it comes highly recommended for the price, I plan on using it in mild conditions. Check it out.

I’m looking into a Tarptent also. Leaning towards the Bowfin 1 or 2 right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dog812

WKR
I’m looking into a Tarptent also. Leaning towards the Bowfin 1 or 2 right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My hunting buddy has the bowfin1 he likes it a lot. But now after a year of use says he would get the 2. There is barely enough room for your boots in the vestibule. You either need to bring your bag inside the nest, or leave it out in the elements.
But other then that I have seen it in some time weather and it held up great.

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think the Stratospire Li is a good choice for the points you mentioned. I am looking at purchasing the new Aeon Li but am a little torn between that and the extra room the Stratospire Li offers.
I think I can make Aeon work by storing my gear in the “generous” vestibule.

How does the stratospire hold up in the weather for you guys that have one? I’ve seen on tarptent website it’s considered a 3-4 season tent so I’m curious as how it holds up in the winter vs something like the mar access or stone glacier tent?

Look at Zpack tents too. They really have my interest. MSR Hubba Hubba is another I have been eyeing.

aion2come

WKR
Tarptent Stratospire holds up fantastic. Very well built and versatile. Roomy enough for 2 big guys wide sleeping pads, then you have the vestibules for gear to be out of the rain. Weight is on their website. You can find ones slightly lighter (see their Li), but it is still light for sleeping two. If I was just sleeping one, I'll take my Protrail that I picked up on the classifieds here. It shaves off about a pound or slightly more in weight.

How does the stratospire hold up in the weather for you guys that have one? I’ve seen on tarptent website it’s considered a 3-4 season tent so I’m curious as how it holds up in the winter vs something like the mar access or stone glacier tent?

Mine hasn't been in anything extreme so can't say from experience. Tarptent considers it their most weather resistant tent from what I've seen. It's nice to have an option for a solid inner too. The steep walls will catch wind a little more and put a little more vertical tension on stakes than say a sleek mid with catenary cuts, just make sure you throw some rocks on them if it is a concern.

Here is a good objective review https://intocascadia.com/2015/11/30/long-term-review-tarptent-stratospire-2/

I thought about getting the Li with a solid inner for above treeline and alaska stuff but I do think it would be a bit of a PITA to pitch in stiff winds compared to a mid. I still think it is a really great option.

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
Zpacks plexamid. New Sierra Designs high route looks good for price and weight but I haven’t used one.

If you’re looking for “lightweight” and not ultralight, I would look at some of the REI tents. They have a good warranty and are built well. We got snowed and freezing rained on in a backcountry D zone opening weekend and I was the only one in the group who was warm and dry in my half dome tent. IMO for rifle season you want a fairly sturdy tent in CA. I use a treking pole set up tent modeled after the tarptent that I sewed myself but if there’s any chance of weather it stays home.