Sleeping Pads?

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
Well, what is everyone preferring for a sleeping pad these days? Liking the new BA AXL Air Insulated. A 25x72 weighing in at 15.2 oz it has caught my eye. Would save me about 10oz and would be half the size! Would like to hear what everyone is preferring for backpack hunting and the oz counter! Thank you in advance!

Been running a Exped synmat 7 for 4-5 years with no holes/problems, about 33oz. Looking to upgrade to the new Exped Winter HL long/wide which comes in just over 21oz, a R-value of 5 and 3.5 thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
2x on the nemo tensor insulated 25r. great pad for those whose roll around or sleep on their side. It didnt need re-inflation on my 8 day hunt and added warm to my bag. This is by far the best piece I picked up last year.

xziang

WKR
I'm running a neo-air which I've had for a while now. Might run/use the mtn smith lt floorless shelter this year so I may toss in a foam pad to. Unsure yet.

Another vote for xtherm. I have run an older Nelson for a while. Those 2.5 inflators will spoil you. Only gripe I had about the neoair is it slept a little cold. I think the xtherm I bought should help that.

Bring a patch kit though. Use it enough and it is a question of when, not if you will pick up a hole.

Rokwiia

WKR
Exped Downmat 9LW and Synmat 9LW depending on the expected temperature. They're a tad heavier than other mats/pads but they're much warmer than most as well. That's a trade off I'm happy to make.

WoodBow

WKR
I sure am happy to see yall talk good about the nemo tensor 25r insulated. I bought one off ebay having never heard much about them. It should arrive today. Should be a nice upgrade from my klymit static v.

ndbuck09

WKR
Ive had the same neoair since 2011. Never had it puncture on a trip. Only have patched very slow leaks at home using the bathtub to find bubbles. Been rock solid. With that said, I'm considering retiring it and getting a new x-therm which will help on those September storm nights when it drops into the low 20s

OP
S

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I currently run a Therm-Rest Prolite Plus which has been just fine. My only gripe is that it's a little thin as I am a side sleeper. Last year while my buddy and I were elk hunting he was using a BA Core Q-SLX. He's an outfitter in MT and said he was really loving it. A very light, comfortable sleeping pad that packs fairly small also. But I think you guys opened my eyes up to explore some other options. If I do the BA AXL Air Insulated I will let you know my thoughts after some experience with it!

jm1607

WKR
I had an xtherm. On paper it's pretty much the best there is. In practice it's super duper fragile. After fixing 4-5 holes and waking up multiple times on my back I sold it for a stronger pad. Bought a Klymit. Not their Ultralight version, just the normal one (I forget the name). I'd rather it weigh a couple oz more and be rugged is what I learned the hard way... I also used to have an older BA Q-core and it was just as fragile as the Xtherm. Put less holes in it (surprisingly) but could still tell it was very fragile.. Been 100% happy with Klymit and they're super cheap (a nice change from the other overpriced brands)

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Sea to Summit pads. Inflation system is hard to beat and theyre comfortable for a side sleeper.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Xtherm for me. Will gladly buy another if something happens to this one. Best pad I’ve found to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brocksw

WKR
Nemo cosmo 30 backpacking, exped synmat 12 lxw for truck camping...dont think I'll ever sleep on a pad under 30" wide again in my life.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk