New Exped HL pads

Looks like they got good reviews all around and claim to be the warmest/lightest ratio on the market. Specs look solid. Going to try out the Synmat Winter HL myself. Anyone try these yet?

Downmat Winter HL, r-value 7, 16.9oz, 3.5". $229.

Synmat Winter HL, r-value 5, 15.2oz, 3.5". $179.

Synmat HL, r-value 3.3, 12.9, 2.8". $169

6fb6328c06d3240c706f9999bcae1bd1.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bates

WKR
I have both the red and orange ones.

wide models, i sleep great on them. i have more nights with the orange one, the red has a bit more insulation on top.

good support, comfortable and not noisy, i move or roll around alot in my sleep and want a pad that doesnt make alot of noise

great compromise to me in comfort vs. weight.

plus that bag to fill them up is super nice and easy, its light and can be used as a pack liner, etc

Last edited:
OP
Topo_trekker
Picked up the Synmat HL LW onsale for $120 locally. Gonna test it out on a scouting trip this weekend, supposed to be a low of 34. We'll see how it handles.

Has it been confirmed that they fixed the baffle failures in these pads? If they did the medium/wide pads look like a nice option but still inline with large sized neoair pads in weight/r value.

I just used the Synmat last weekend an it is by far the most comfortable mat I have slept on.
I have the wide one, was worried it wouldn't be wide enough, as I also use a Klymit 30" an those are huge. But the Synmat is hands own a better sleeper. When you kneel on it , it does seem like it is low on air, but when you sleep on it, its is superb. And I have severe chronic back issues. A bit heavier than others, but I'll pay the price going in, to enjoy staying in.

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
I have all Exped pads now. Synmat HL for summer and a Downmat HL Winter for the cold. I also have a Downmat UL 7 because i found it under $100 and figured the wife could use it. All are fantastic. I use the schnozzel bag to store my EE quilt too.

I’ve been running the down matt HL for a year now. Probably have close to 50 nights on it. These pads are amazing, warm, light. Weight is dead on compared to my scale. Probably the nicest thing about a down Matt is it just stays a neutral temp. Hard to explain but I’ve slept comfortably in 90 degree temps on this pad and even more comfortably in lower teens. To me that’s the biggest advantage over a Xtherm. My god I thought I was going to sweat to death a few years ago on a spring bear hunt that turned of hot. Yes definitely buy one of these you won’t be disappointed. If your a quilt lover this pad is for you

OP
Topo_trekker
The Synmat HL slept really warm this weekend at freezing. Blew up fairly easy at 10.5k. Noise was minimal. Had a 50lb dog on it with me, no holes or leaking at 250+ lbs. Pretty happy with it so far, dont think I'll need the Winter HL for archery season. I've never had a pad rated below r3.5 but I think this will do at r3.3. I think Exped does a really good job with their temp ratings, at least spot on or slightly underrated.

Last year I found a synmat ul7 on campsaver for like 60 bucks. I’m telling you it’s the most comfortable pad I’ve been on, and I’ve tried more than a few of them. I’m a warm sleeper but I’ve used it down to 20 degrees outside with just my 35 degree bag and merino wool baselayers on and stayed toasty warm. Plenty durable so far too, haven’t had any issues with it at all.