Tent advice/ REI Quarter Dome 2 vs BA Flycreek HV UL2

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am torn on what to use for a tent/shelter. I was originally going to get the mountainsmith tarp but I don't think I'll be happy with floorless. I have been reading a lot on here and researching tents and I am not sure what to get.

Price is a concern.

I have been looking at the REI Quarter Dome 2 and the BA Flycreek HV UL2. Both are on sale right not. Flycreek is super light but has a front entry and reviews say it doesn't do well in wind. Quarter dome is side entry and a little heavier.

I am thinking of getting a two man with the intention of never having another person in there unless it's my wife.

I really don't want to regret making a tent purchase as I'll likely use it for a few years before upgrading. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

wapitibob

WKR
I believe the BA fly creek is sold used on here more than any other tent.
The original BA Copper Spur ul2 is the way to go for that kind of money I think. I have the ul3, partner has the ul2.

OP
B

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the BA fly creek is sold used on here more than any other tent.
The original BA Copper Spur ul2 is the way to go for that kind of money I think. I have the ul3, partner has the ul2.

Meaning that the tent isn't that liked so people sell it?

R_burg

WKR
If price is a concern, you can pickup a used Quarter Dome 2 for 150-170 all day long. Just wait for on on Craigslist or ebay.

They are a great tent, I have a 3 person.

BA is great too, obviously. I'd probably get a Copper Spur though.

Don't over think it, just get what you get a better deal on.

OP
B

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
If price is a concern, you can pickup a used Quarter Dome 2 for 150-170 all day long. Just wait for on on Craigslist or ebay.

They are a great tent, I have a 3 person.

BA is great too, obviously. I'd probably get a Copper Spur though.

Don't over think it, just get what you get a better deal on.

That's good advice. Thank you. I will be hunting 50% alone and 50% with a buddy so I am tossing around getting a 3 man tent instead. Ebay seems like I could find a deal there.

I have both those tents and the BA FC2 is not a 2 man tent unless you really like the other person and the weather is fairly dry. Me and the wife bought the REI to replace the BA and I kept the BA for a one person tent.
We just bought a BA Copper spur 2 to replace the REI.
I'd make you a heck of a deal on the REI but it has been used a bit.

Tbuckus

WKR
Everyone I know that has a front entry hates it. I sold my msr one man to a friend just based on side entry option.
I just picked up a BA Tiger wall 3p. It’s roughly as light as a 2p copper spur. I’m glad I got the 3p. In my opinion, it’s a 2p, unless you are very intimate with your sleeping partner.

OP
B

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Would you guys recommend one of those tents in a 1p or is it better to just get the 2p version? I don't plan on anyone staying inside with me regardless.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Would you guys recommend one of those tents in a 1p or is it better to just get the 2p version? I don't plan on anyone staying inside with me regardless.

Are you asking about the REI in a 1P? By the way, I’m torn between the classic BA copper spur UL 2 and the REI. Price is also a factor for me. My only concern with the REI is durability. Those seem to be the only negative reviews it gets.

OP
B

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Are you asking about the REI in a 1P? By the way, I’m torn between the classic BA copper spur UL 2 and the REI. Price is also a factor for me. My only concern with the REI is durability. Those seem to be the only negative reviews it gets.

Either the REI or BA.

I am also in a dilemma because I have a 2p tent, it's just a little heavy at 5lbs 4oz. It's a MH Lightwedge 2. So I am debating if me spending a few hundred bucks is worth the 2lb weight savings.

I have the 3 person version of that rei tent. It has been good to me after a few years of use. It has handled some pretty serious winds but isn’t the greatest if the temps drop really low. Make sure you seam seal the fly.

Unless you are dead set on a tent you may want to look into some tarp options. Seek outside dst or something similar comes to mind.

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
I had a QD2 and it was really nice. I had the newest version. It sets up fast and easy and did well in a week of solid rain.

That said, I use a Tarptent Stratospire 2 now. Tarptent prices are good and weights are low. May want to take a look at their offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
ditto on the front entry is a PITA. I got rid of my FC2 and got a CS2. The only thing to note about many 1P is they have only a single vestibule and single side door. If the BA CS1 had 2 doors and 2 vestibules, I would likely have one. If you are dead set on a full floor, I would look at the Tarptent Double Rainbow. It is the best of both worlds and they say it can handle a mild snow. The CS is too flat on the top to handle any snow other than a dusting.