DIY TUT Stretched.

eagle_eye

FNG
I've been poking around here for quite awhile.
For those of you who have made your own tent I'd like a little advise here.
What I'm wanting to do is make a tent that would be a good base camp.
And light enough to pack in a ways.
I have looked at the DIY TUT XL thread and that is a great design.
I was thinking about doing that with an additional 6' section between the two ends.
It would be more of an A-Frame Style design with a footprint of about 12X18.
Would this be a doable project?? Or a lot of frustration.
How do you think it would do in the wind?

A few thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

Oldffemt

WKR
Have you looked at the SO little bug out? May be exactly what you’re looking for.

Yes, look at the Seek Outside Lil' Bug out. You may want to integrate zippers like their's, it is very versitile. I have one and love it. I have a buddy with one too and we had made a configuration with 2 connecting tarps (base-tarp-tarp-base) for an extra long set up. 4 guys and tons of gear and plenty room to wrestle.

OP
E

eagle_eye

FNG
I've not seen that design.
I think that would work for my needs.
Thanks for the input.
Bill

Oldffemt

WKR
It’s a great design. I was not aware that you could use more than one connecting tarp at a time. I’ve also spoken to live2hunt on here about custom building one tall enough to stand in as it would allow you to move a bit while standing. I found a great deal on aSO 6 man though and put that project on the back burner till I get time to do a diy project.

OP
E

eagle_eye

FNG
I'm planning to do a piece at a time. Should be a palace of a shelter. I wonder if there could be a different way to
attach the sections together other than a zipper that would make sense.
Just don't want the wind to be a problem.
Any thoughts or ideas? Maybe Velcro, paracord, ...

Would you have half of a tut on each end? So 2 sides of the pyramid and then the "A frame" connecting them?
It sounds like a silnylon wall tent basically.
I think a waterproof zipper with a storm flap would be most weather proof option.
One width of the XL fabric (70 inches between the two ends would be a palace.
Doing it like this without a real option to use it as a smaller shelter would be easy but once you make it modular you'll need additional zippers etc.

OP
E

eagle_eye

FNG
Yes, it would essentially be a 1/2 tut on each end. Just as you described.
When I first thought about this I didn't know about the SO lbo base tarp base.
I really like the modular option with the zippers(4 of them) could use as a base tarp base, a large tut, a half tut, or just the tarp.
If I keep it just one configuration, the palace, need just one zipper.
Was planning on storm flaps over the zippers.
Could fit 4 with cots, maybe more comfortably for a base camp setup.

OP
E

eagle_eye

FNG
For those of you who have experience with the Sylpoly XL. Would the fabric be strong/tough enough for this shelter.
I saw the DIY Tut XL thread. How is that shelter working out.
I might be going too big for the fabric. Maybe I should go with another fabric.

Any advise/suggestions are Welcome

Bill

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes it will work fine, in fact I have basically the same design that I've not released yet mine is more of an oval though. I does have limitations. The flat sided version you are thinking of does get a beating in the wind if you dont set it correctly. The footprint is pretty large. It requires 2 poles so the weight savings is negated when compared to an 8 man.

Live2hunt custom shelters

OP
E

eagle_eye

FNG
I'm thinking that I would use a pole from where I pitch it, so the extra weight shouldn't be an issue.
The base-tarp-base would be used for a car base camp(using my own poles) or a packable shelter(poles from the camp area) when multiple people will be using it.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm thinking that I would use a pole from where I pitch it, so the extra weight shouldn't be an issue.
The base-tarp-base would be used for a car base camp(using my own poles) or a packable shelter(poles from the camp area) when multiple people will be using it.
Poles are not always easy to find and sometimes against the law depending on local regulations, so keep that in mind.

The big shelters put a lot of stress on zipper, especially that design so you will need at least a #8, but #10 would be safer. It's not easy to come by separating zippers in that size and length.

Beendare

WKR
Poles everywhere in all of the western states I've hunted...standing beetle kill.

Personally, I would approach it this way; Look at existing shelters, their fabric and their weight. Then design your knock off on Sketchup- free 30 day trial.

Be sure to convert to PDFs...and measure all pieces and angles....allowing for seams.

FYI, the sewing is the easy part.

OP
E

eagle_eye

FNG
Just got my fabric in yesterday. Enough to do the two ends with extra material to practice with.
I decided to go with the 58" syl-poly. Have never sewn in my life, but my wife has lots of experience.
I'm hoping she will help me. She was skeptical after she felt the fabric.
That being said, I have a few questions. What size of needle, type of thread, will I need.
Any other advice is welcome.
Thanks

I just use the needle that came on my cheap machine.
Probably the smaller diameter the better though.
I use the polyester Mara thread from rip stop.
If you machine doesn't have adjustable foot pressure, loosen the screw a touch and slide foot down tiny amount.
Gives better pressure for slick material.

530Chukar

WKR
For those of you who have experience with the Sylpoly XL. Would the fabric be strong/tough enough for this shelter.
I saw the DIY Tut XL thread. How is that shelter working out.
I might be going too big for the fabric. Maybe I should go with another fabric.

Any advise/suggestions are Welcome

Bill

The TUT XL has worked great the last year. Took it into CO at 12,000 ft for first season last year and some other hunts as well. It is a large footprint and can be hard to find enough room to pitch it sometimes with all the Guy outs. It has held up very well to some strong winds and som snow. With your footprint you’ll really be pressed to find a perfectly level place for it. I do like the design. Also look at the SeekOutside courthouse I think? It might give you som more ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

eagle_eye

FNG
Well, I was finally able to get started on my stretched tut this past week.
I first made a few meat baggies/stuff sacks. They turned out pretty good.

So far I've got a half tut and will be working on the beak/zipper area this week.

The material takes some time to get used to as it's so slippery.

I was able to use some basting tape from SailRite to aid in sewing the seams.
It works really well.

OP
E

eagle_eye

FNG
To any tent makers out there,
I am having a problem visualizing how to install the zipper into this tent,
the zipper will be about 8' long with a zipper cover/beak similar to the SO lbo.
Should the zipper be sewn into the seam? Or just sewed to the seam?

Any pics/ideas would be welcome.

Thanks
Bill

Super Moderator
Staff member
To any tent makers out there,
I am having a problem visualizing how to install the zipper into this tent,
the zipper will be about 8' long with a zipper cover/beak similar to the SO lbo.
Should the zipper be sewn into the seam? Or just sewed to the seam?

Any pics/ideas would be welcome.

Thanks
Bill
The easiest method is to place the zipper instead of the seam from bottom hem and killing it under the reinforcement cone. Ending before the cone requires different techniques because seam allowance and zipper allowance is different.

You're welcome to call me 573 465 1575

OP
E

eagle_eye

FNG
The stretched tut so far.
Stuff left to do:
4 stake out loops
5 guy-outs
seam sealing
This is only the first section.
The next section is a carbon copy of this first one, its ready for zippers then the hemming.
The third section will be a 6 foot tarp to join the two sections. They all zip together.

Still need to order material for the tarp.

The zipper installation gave me the most apprehension, other than learning to sew.
The zipper went well once I figured how to do it.
A few pics.

Attachments

• Tent1small.jpg
    Tent1small.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 102
  • Tent2small.jpg
    Tent2small.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited: