tipi vs sawtooth

I cant decide on whether to go with a tipi style tent or go with the Kifaru Sawtooth.

It would be for 2-4 people depending on where and what we're hunting, will definitely use a stove in it. Any feedback or opinions y'all have about one over the other would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You cannot fit more than two people in a sawtooth. If you have more than two, then someone will have to bring another tent/tarp. The sawtooth is a sweet shelter. I loved the ability to stand up in it.

ahlgringo

WKR
Agree with above, I have a sawtooth- and I love packing it in when it is me or me and ONE other. If there is going to be more than two- I bring the 8 man tipi and just divide up tipi, pole and stove between guys (or gals).

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can but you better be pretty familiar with the other 2 people lol.

For what you want a 4 or 6 man tipi would suit your needs best. The are both pretty good in the wind but the sawtooth probably has the edge if your winds are consistently coming from one direction and you set up accordingly. Sawtooth is better for couples that prefer to sleep next to each other. Tipis have a little more headroom usually. Sawtooth uses a slightly shorter pole so a little weight can be saved there. Mostly it amounts to a matter of preference in the floor plan you prefer.

Live2hunt custom shelters

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I can fit 3 in my Sawtooth pretty easily and it works fine. 4 is doable but then you have no room for gear or stove. Sawtooth is a great shelter and I like mine a lot...but 4 person shelter it is not except in a pinch.

LaGriz

WKR
Diamond10X,
Take a hard look at the Seek Outside Redcliff. Might be a compromise that would fit your needs. Weight is similar to a Six man tent. Hybrid design might make it more versatile than a tipi and the foot print is more rectangular with two doors. Not impossible to be carried by 2 guys.

Or just buy a Sawtooth. If you determine you need a larger shelter, you could sell it on this site. IMHO you won't get burned on the purchase of a Sawtooth, as they re-sell almost instantly when posted in the classified adds.

LaGriz

Skeeter

FNG
From my limited experience, for 4 people I would rather have two small shelters than one big one. Probably just me though. Part claustrophobic, part neat freak and need my space. I don’t like sleeping in a group unless it were my wife and kids, and even then would probably prefer two shelters. If putting 4 in one shelter, I wouldn’t go smaller than Redcliff.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can fit 3 in my Sawtooth pretty easily and it works fine. 4 is doable but then you have no room for gear or stove. Sawtooth is a great shelter and I like mine a lot...but 4 person shelter it is not except in a pinch.
Molly doesn't count as a full person yet

Live2hunt custom shelters

FlyGuy

WKR
Luke, is that 3 with a stove or without? I have a group of three this year and I've considered ordering a sawtooth but didn't know if that would cut it. I have a tut now and it just seems like the central location of the single pole would make sleeping three pretty tough except in a real pinch.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Ya that makes sense, 4 guys equals 8 man tipi, why don't these companies just make real world numbers ???? Seems like 50% off is bad math.

Bulldawg

WKR
Ya that makes sense, 4 guys equals 8 man tipi, why don't these companies just make real world numbers ???? Seems like 50% off is bad math.

Mostly because you can fit 8 guys sleeping in it, but that’s it, no gear no stove, and your toes will probably be in someone’s ear and the other way around. The reason they don’t say this is a 4 person tipi is if you saw brand x with a $1000 8 person and brand y was advertising it as a 4 person for the same price there would be a huge disconnect and would hurt sales. Just like a lot of tent companies that advertise a 2 person tent but I could barely fit me and my dog in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
If they all went to realistic sizes it would be better for the industry as whole.
Saying its 8 person tent or shelter because you can stack 8 guys like cord wood is just stupid.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

we all know the drill anyway, no one buying one of these high dollar tents is not shopping and doing their research. I would bet the first company to list actual numbers real world use would boost sales. Same deal with pack weights, I hate looking at packs and the weights are like algebra.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted a shelter for myself+hunting buddy WITH a stove or myself, wife and 2 small kids WITHOUT a stove. I went with a Seek outside Cimarron. It will get me to when the kids are probably old enough that they want their own tent. I also figured I could run the shelter on longer solo hunts and have a ton of room and a stove.

klapointe

FNG
I've fit a total of 4 adults in my Sawtooth and a medium titanium stove and we slept comfortably. With that said, there is no room left for gear or much wood. I would go with the 8 man. Sawtooth is originally designed for two adults + gear.