Light framless packs???

Around 1kg/2.2 lbs is my goal,

That's doable with a frame.
I have a Twin Needles Mole Me back pack that I love for a frameless , but its probably to small for what you want.
Have you called them and see if they will make you something custom, they are in your area

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
That's doable with a frame.
I have a Twin Needles Mole Me back pack that I love for a frameless , but its probably to small for what you want.
Have you called them and see if they will make you something custom, they are in your area

I almost want to try frame-less as I have not worn a frame-less bag for a LOONG time, even as a day pack I am usually carting a big pack about. I dont have a good frame-less pack in my arsenal. I can fit all my gear into the Kuiu Ultra 3000, which I have measured at around 30L, so it should fit.
Twin Needle are working on a 'bigger' pack(longer term project) with alloy stays and a basic kind of frame and harness, around 45-50L, I am waiting on a chance to have a go with their prototype before I buy anything. I think it will be around the 1.5kg mark though.

you like the MollyME? everyone that has one loves it, ive only seen em in store

Yes, I hunt with ar15s and a Fix bolt rifle. The back panel works great as a rifle holder . the mole makes it easy for me to carry some extra pouches if I need it. Ive found it to be a comfortable pack for carrying gear on scout trips. Last year I carried out a boned out deer with it and was surprised at how well it did (50lbs)

I have the HMG Southwest 2400 and really like it. It has two removable aluminum stays to give the bag structure when needed. IMO, the hybrid CF is what separates the bag from other CF bags, the fabric is durable - and waterproof. I think I saw a YouTube video of a guy trying (unsuccessfully) to trash his HMG back with a crampon.

I took it on a quick 3 day backpack in the jungles of SE Alaska and was very impressed with the weatherproofness.

ohoopee

WKR
There is an engineer "homemade wanderlust" on youtube that did a great
comparison after using the HMG 3400 and ZPacks Arc haul after about 1000 on miles each.
I think HMG did some changes in the next version but it is a good feature and benefits comparison.

superA

WKR
I'm using a my trail (formerly go lite) 50, I really like it. Next pack will be a seek outside divide.

Mike7

WKR
My lightweight pack is a older Granite Gear Vapor Trail. It has a very minimal frame design that works well under ~30lbs but is absolute misery over 35ish lbs. Id always heard to make your pack the last place to reduce weight.
So if your at 20-25lbs with a 95mm spotter, which that has to be pushing ~8-9lbs by itself, then you obviously have already reduced weight everywhere else you can and the pack is the last logical step.

I have a similar Granite Gear pack that has just a little air mattress you pump up for the frame, and this has been my exact experience as well with the above noted weights. It is a great pack for summer use and is very light, comfortable, and well designed.

With a tripod and big binos for scouting, and a compact fishing pole, along with the usual summer backpacking gear, it is comfortable for 2-3 day trips only, as I am beginning to max out the weight rating and volume to do any more with it. It also is very good for a bigger pack if you are riding a bicycle, because the air frame can flex instead of pushing your head down, especially if you let a little air out.

Beendare

WKR
The problem with the frameless packs is they "Barrel" on ya.

The UL Kifaru they made for awhile was like that....as are many of the UL packs you see. There are or folks that want to bring a water bottle and sweater...NOT for hunters.

An extra 1.5# for something that will help the pack hold shape and support is worth the extra weight, IMO.

Floorguy

WKR
For something cheap to try out to see if its something you want to spend money on it here is a pack I have been looking at. Has good reviews. It says internal frame but is frameless.

3F Gear 40+16L Internal Frame Backpack Lightweight Hiking Daypack, Large Capacity Travling Backpacks Grey for Outdoor Sport Climbing Camping Mountaineering Backpack with Functional Raincoat Amazon.com : 3F Gear 40+16L Internal Frame Backpack Lightweight Hiking Daypack, Large Capacity Travling Backpacks Grey for Outdoor Sport Climbing Camping Mountaineering Backpack with Functional Raincoat : Sports & Outdoors

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I just received my 3f Ul backpack. It is a different model from what you linked above, and made from X Pac

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

It's well made, and feels comfortable when fitted with a folding egg crate sleeping pad along the inside of the back. I may try to modify a couple of arrows as frame stays.

Last edited:

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a few pics 3f UL Gear X Pac 35L to show the 'suspension' setup.

The pad on the inside is held by elastic on the top, and the bottom is tensioned with webbing that goes directly to the hip straps, through the pack.

OcY8qS9.jpg

3HpQJLy.jpg

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed you said 25 pounds might be "wishful thinking". Why not get at least a minimal frame sonyou are prepared for 30-40 pounds if you need it on another trip?

With that said. Yes, 25 pounds is completely do-able in a frameless daypack. I've done 3 days in a daypack before, in good weather. For a mountain scouting trip I'd want something with some kind of frame. Just much more versatile.

I'd like one of these:
Outdoorsmans Spur 50 Pack

But for a lightweight, nice weather scouting setup, I could definitely survive with a sturdy day pack like this osprey:
Osprey Stratos 34 Review | OutdoorGearLab