floor vs. floorless?

I'm looking for pros and cons concerning floor and floorless shelters. I'm on the fence about floorless. The line from Kifaru looks great. I am wanting to cut some weight off what I currently use, which is in the 3 pound range. Thanks for any insight!

jtw

WKR
During hunting season I go floorless. It's nice to be able to take my boots off inside, the weight savings are great too.
During the summer backpacking I got with a floor because my lady wouldn't go with me without it or full bug netting.

Floorless with light weight bivy and a stove. You are set from 1 night in the summer under the bivy to a week in the snow with the stove. Lightest most versatile set up I can see.

Joe

Beastmode

WKR
Just made the switch!
83a5de25abc3ff8baddb299370148d99.jpg

OP
E
Wow! Thanks for the quick replies. I agree with floorless being lighter. However, do they really keep the elements from coming in? I NM, we often have monsoons during archery hunts. Tons of rain during a short period of time makes me paranoid about going floorless.

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody have issues with bugs or ticks or anything like that with a floorless? I know that wouldn't be an issue later in the season but I feel like in early September, that might be an issue. I really hate ticks.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow! Thanks for the quick replies. I agree with floorless being lighter. However, do they really keep the elements from coming in? I NM, we often have monsoons during archery hunts. Tons of rain during a short period of time makes me paranoid about going floorless.
Yes, but as has been mentioned site selection is important. If you set up in the path of rain run off rain is obviously going to come in.

IMO floorless is more comfortable and less hassle because you don't have to worry about keeping the floor clean.

Beastmode

WKR
If you are really worried about bugs and/or moisture there are a few options. From what most of what I have read water will not effect you as long as you pitch in the right location. Bugs can be taken care of with bug coils and keeping doors shut. Most of this information is what I have gathered from research as I have very little time in a floor less shelter and do not have 1st hand accounts on how they will actually preform.

1. Seekoutside makes nests with bathtub floors for most of their shelters. They cover half the area of the shelter. This will cover both your worries. you might ask why go floor less then? This setup still allows a stove to be used. Half the shelter is still floor less. The downfall is the weight of these nests.

2. Tyvek or other type of ground sheet. While this won't help the bug situation, it will give your pad extra protection from the ground and keep you off ground that is already saturated.

3. A waterproof bivy is a lightweight option that will keep both water and bugs off you. I personally do not like this option as I can stand having something surround my face while I sleep. This doesn't mean they don't work for guys though because there are a ton of guys that use them.

Out of all the options listed I am going to bring a ground cloth. It is the lightest weight option and will keep me off a really saturated ground. I am pondering the idea of the nest for when the family comes along with my 8 man but at $450 and 3 lbs it's a tough call if we really NEED it.

I am pondering the idea of the nest for when the family comes along with my 8 man but at $450 and 3 lbs it's a tough call if we really NEED it.

I'm in the same boat. My hunting partner and I just ordered a Seek Outside 8 man with SXL stove and half liner. I'm now debating the half nest for family outings as there's no way my wife will dig floorless......the $450 is definitely a little steep though.

Beastmode

WKR
Yeah but at the same token it's almost like sewing a half another tipi with a floor. I don't think they are marked up much if at all. The only reason I am considering it is our youngest is 4 and want a good experience for him.

Yeah but at the same token it's almost like sewing a half another tipi with a floor. I don't think they are marked up much if at all. The only reason I am considering it is our youngest is 4 and want a good experience for him.

Totally agree, don't think they're over-charging...I'm just stretched as it is with buying the tipi and stove, lol. Can't wait to get this thing and test it out! I have a 9 month old and definitely want to make the tipi an enjoyable experience for the whole family.

All of my children like the floor less shelters. It's also a lot nicer not having to clean up all of the little kid mistakes with a floored shelter.
My wife is iffy on the floor less option. If she sees a spider it's over lol, luckily haven't seen one yet with her.

Shrek

WKR
Floorless is the way to go. With a reasonably good site selection you will not have an issue with water. I check the ground carefully were I'm going to put my pad and then toss it on the ground and go to sleep. Even pretty wet ground dries up quickly under the tent , especially when you crank up the stove. I use a Sawtooth so I can walk into my tent and stand up in it by the pole. I couldn't imagine going back to a stuffy coffin tent with a slimy tub floor. Crawl into one wet from rain and the floor makes sure everything stays wet. Walk into my tipi and crank the stove up and soon I'm warm and dry and if I hang the clothes and feed the stove for a couple of hours the clothes will be much closer to dry the next morning. Light off the stove in the morning and warm everything up and putting on the clothes is much nicer.

dotman

WKR
Bear paw Wilderness Designs makes affordable inner nests that will fit most floorless setup and he can custom make one to your specs if you need something different.

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think there is much better than floorless. Like what was said earlier, being able to go right in with your boots on and not make a mess is awesome.

Site selection is everything for water, and having a little ground cloth or sheet of tyvek works great for sleeping pads, gear etc.

The half liner is also crucial for condensation in my area where it can be very wet. That combination along with the wood stove makes for a comfortable experience even in the nastiest conditions.

If bugs or little critters are an issue, a nest with bathtub floors should solve that just fine.

I can't speak highly enough on the quality of Seek Outsides gear. Very happy with the purchases I've made from them.

Bear paw Wilderness Designs makes affordable inner nests that will fit most floorless setup and he can custom make one to your specs if you need something different.

Thanks for that. The pyranet 4 looks like it could be just the ticket.