Smart phone vs gps

Sonoran

FNG
Flatlander, The iPhone 4 series units have a dedicated GPS chip which do not require cell service as long as it is not in Airplane mode as Pueblo stated you are good to go. I just used it for 4 scouting days in the San Juans last week and it worked perfectly. Like Pueblo I find it's pretty rare i need it but it's nice to have when I do. I also find the GPS to be just as accurate as any garmin i have seen as well. On a side note regarding any of the topo map applications, I also had a Nat Geo Trails Illustrated map with me and for the area I was in the Nat Geo map was very accurate with refelcting new trails that that current USGS 1:24,000 scale maps did not show. Without the updated Nat Geo map I would have humped an extra 6 miles to complete the 34 mile loop. I sure do want to know where every "backcountry highway" is when i need it and that is a perfect example of why having redundancy in your nav tools is a good thing.......

Hardstalk

WKR
Motionx-gps is the best that i have played with so far. Clocked me at 74.5 with my cruise set at 75 while out of service. And acquires location spot on. Just like all others you have to download maps before exiting service.

Pueblo

FNG
"Motionx-gps is the best that i have played with so far. Clocked me at 74.5 with my cruise set at 75 while out of service. And acquires location spot on. Just like all others you have to download maps before exiting service."

I have both the Motion X and their drive as well and I use them for tracking runs and hikes or while driving, but their topo map application is far slower to load than the Topo Maps app....my 2 cents.

Rizzy

WKR
I always put my Iphone 3 in airplane mode when I hike and try to use the GPS app, maybe thats why it doesn't work. I will try it out of airplane mode next time.

OP
flatlander51
Yea I just put my phone in airplane mode where I have service and had no gps connection while in airplane mode.

I guess I could just keep it in airplane mode while useing it as a camera and other tools to save battery and switch it off when I need to use the gps.this is strictly gonna be an experiment.my partner will be carrying a garmin and Ill have a 7.5 map of the area and a compass as a backup.

Last edited:

Hardstalk

WKR
I believe its only the iphone 4 that has and actual gps driver. Where it works out of service. I remember not being able to find my location while out of service when i had a droid.

FURMAN

WKR
Android phones have dedicated GPS units. Most apps such as Google maps use internet as well as GPS so they won't work with no internet. Backcountry navigator does not need the internet to work. You can turn off all the radios except GPS and it will work.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Which GPS app are you using in your Droid? I've been running the Backcountry Navigator Pro and have been very pleased so far!

backcountry navigator and cabelas recon hunt. I like some of the features of cabelas better but over all the Backcountry is more accruate and faster at predownloading maps.

Jon Boy

WKR
you have to pay a little extra for the land status overlay.

Just saw that last night and was pretty excited. A lot of the checker boarded areas I hunt are fairly close to towns and I usually can get full 3G, if not at least a few bars. Thats my biggest use for a gps for the most part.

ak68

FNG
Alpine Quest is another app that lets you download maps so it works without service. It has full offline GPS capability.

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
I have a device that uses AA lithiums to recharge the Iphone, works very well, as does the New Trent device(s). I'm a backcountry movie-watcher, and have a season of "Breaking Bad" (plus the ever present "Private Ryan", "Outlaw Josie Wales", "Jeremiah Johnson", and "Blackhawk Down")to watch on the upcoming sheep hunt. I've never gotten any of the iphone apps to work nearly as well as the Garmin in the GPS department.
Don

DWarcher

WKR
I used the Brunton inspire charger for my Droid last week and i got two charges out of it and still had 50% power remaining on the charger. At 5.5oz the weight is not bad at all.