Smart phone vs gps

When I first used the iPhone as a GPS, I turned it to Airplane Mode; that didn't work, the GPS will not work in Airplane Mode. I thought it was because I was out of cell range, but instead it was Airplane Mode. I have always been able to get the iPhone GPS to work even in timber or very remote areas, like the North Slope.

Battery life is an issue. There are a lot of settings to conserve battery. I have found that I can remember to turn off Bluetooth, Wifi, Cellular, and then dim the screen. There are many other features you can adjust to conserve battery life, but those four will make the biggest impact on battery usage and they are fairly intuitive. I turn off the screen until needed and turn the phone OFF if I won't need GPS for a while. I also carry a charger that runs on AA batteries, which I run in other devices like flashlights. A few AA batteries will get you through a week or more.

I also carried a backup GPS for a while but then after several years Just go with the iPhone.

I use the App GAIA GPS. You can load numerous free maps and aerials in great resolution. It costs $10 I think but well worth the money.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I'd really like to ditch my rino and just use my phone as I pack it anyways. I bought the Trimble GPS hunt pro the other day and so far I'm not impressed.

How about some feedback on the OnXmaps app for Iphone 5? Ive used it for the free trial before and it was pretty handy, but never used it enough to try it in just GPS mode without cell service, I was just using it for landowner info.

I have a friend that did the Trimble app and I bought the Backcountry Navigator app. Both were similar and seemed to work fine. I have found it does take a bit more patience as it doesn't always lock in very quickly as compared to a GPS. I carried both for a while but eventually left the GPS at home and just take my phone now. It also takes some discipline on keeping it in airplane mode, dim the screen and turn off things not needed to extend the battery life. I bought a couple spare batteries from ebay and with 3 batteries I could easily do a week maybe 10 days if I'm careful. The apps do take some getting used to but if you want to lighten your load, you have to spend some time to learn the quirks!

I have onXmaps on my phone. Never used it hunting really just mostly checking out. It seams to work pretty well. Either way its way better than the tiny screens on any gps. It will be handy if I ever go hunt around private land for sure.

I dumped my garmin officially. Used my IPhone 5s all last season with no problems...got a solor charger and mophie juice pack..battery last for days..turn off your cell,WiFi and Bluetooth when in the back country..my buddies garmin was lost last season and couldn't find SATs. But the iPhone was cranking...I used onx maps and Trimble hunt. Downloaded what I needed from onx and had trip plans loaded on Trimble with trails and other points marked...worked like a charm...my buddy called his garmin junk after my iPhone ruled for 10 days in the back country of Montana...oh and the pics I took loaded to my Trimble account so now I got even more scouting info...

The GPS on an iPhone now works in Airplane Mode with the latest update iOS 8.3. I got frustrated initially a few years ago when the GPS would not work in Airplane Mode. I finally learned that you could use the GPS when not in Airplane Mode; you instead just cut off Cellular, Wifi, and Bluetooth to extend battery life. This upgrade, which should have been done a long time ago, will remove confusion. Now, Airplane Mode will NOT disable GPS.

The GPS on an iPhone now works in Airplane Mode with the latest update iOS 8.3. I got frustrated initially a few years ago when the GPS would not work in Airplane Mode. I finally learned that you could use the GPS when not in Airplane Mode; you instead just cut off Cellular, Wifi, and Bluetooth to extend battery life. This upgrade, which should have been done a long time ago, will remove confusion. Now, Airplane Mode will NOT disable GPS.

This was a nice update to the iOS. I've been taking advantage of that. Prior to this, I would disable my SIM card so that it wouldn't search for service when I'd take it out of airplane mode, but now I don't have to worry about that.

I run Gaia on my iphone 5 and now 6. It still utilizes GPS when out of service. I load in my maps and keep the phone in Airplane mode until I need or want to open Gaia. I use it to mark locations, see where Im at and ETA on the next location I want to get to. Its awesome, I have my phone anyways, its my camera, alarm, book for reading, and sometimes even some chill music at the end of night. I havnt regretted ditching my GPS unit. I bring a backup power source if Im out for 4+ days just in case.

Ah! this is brilliant. Didnt realize this

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
I use Motion X maps on my iPhone here on the east coast and midwest. Works accurately down to 50yds (missed a trail in heavy thickets a time or two), but it DESTROYS the battery life. I'll use to to get to a stand site I want to scout when I hang & hunt, locate a random trail camera, etc, but I wont use it for much more than that.

This thread hasn't been updated in a couple of years as far as OnX maps goes, but it has been working very well with excellent battery life for me.

Also works with cellular turned off and seems the be very accurate as far as gps is concerned. Maybe not handheld GPS accurate, but close enough to use exclusively in the backcountry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread hasn't been updated in a couple of years as far as OnX maps goes, but it has been working very well with excellent battery life for me.

Also works with cellular turned off and seems the be very accurate as far as gps is concerned. Maybe not handheld GPS accurate, but close enough to use exclusively in the backcountry.

I've used OnX maps app since it was released for iPhone but I still prefer Gaia for my general nav, topo, and aerial images in the back country. OnX is a great tool but it's still a bit clunky IMO.

Beendare

WKR
This thread from years ago inspired me to dump my Garmin and go to the GAIA app on my iPhone 7 plus.

After a year of multiple backcountry trips and hunts....its crazy how much better the GAIA over my Garmin/OnX....better quality maps specially with the bigger screen of my phone, its faster, easy to use...and a fraction of the cost of the Garmin/OnX stuff.

Seems to me that the main benefit to onX is the landowner boundaries and unit markers as well as satellite imagery.

Does GAIA have those features?

Seems to me that the main benefit to onX is the landowner boundaries and unit markers as well as satellite imagery.

Does GAIA have those features?

Gaia has a new premium feature designed for hunters but I have not looked at all the features yet and whether it has landowner boundaries. But Gaia as satellite imagery from many providers. It's far superior to OnX in terms of th maps IMO.

Brendan

WKR
I did some testing of the Gaia Pro landowner boundaries vs. OnX this year, and they were right on for all the areas I tested. Gaia does have a more simple "public / private" layer as well that wasn't labeling some BLM land as "public" - but I know they were working on that.

They've also had sat imagery for a while now - used it the last 3 seasons, haven't checked if they just updated something though.

Count me as a fan, haven't really used my Garmin since I started using Gaia, although I do have a Fenix I use as my watch and as a backup.

Bringing this thread back to the top. Im ditching my GPS and only using my smart phone from here on out and was wondering is anyone had any further advice.