Looking for lightweight cordage

deadwolf

WKR
Looking for some lightweight but durable cord for tent guy lines. Have used paracord with no middle strands but looking for something lighter and better! Any help is appreciated

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
+ 1 on the Lawson GloWire stuff. Also you can look at the 3mm Bluewater NiteLine cord and the TripTease. All three are basically 3M retroreflective fibers interwoven into a cord and they all work very well.

On all of them, though, friction knots are a bit fiddly and don't bite super-well but using LineLocs fixes that. If you're not using friction-hitches and using shock-cord you won't have any issues.

The stuff's pretty crazy - your headlight hits it at night and it really stands out. It works great for pull-tab extenders on gear, too.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
I'll check into the Lawson stuff for sure...does it have much stretch when it's wet? Saw some folks are using dyneema cord which seems sweet but I'm not finding any with reflective properties. I'm told dyneema has little to no stretch

bobhunts

WKR
I bought the stuff from Zpaks but have not got it yet, After I get it and use it I will pipe in.. We will see if it beats Para cord? Weight is for sure a hands down winner. Strenght and longevity will be another.

Take-a-knee

Banned
I'll check into the Lawson stuff for sure...does it have much stretch when it's wet? Saw some folks are using dyneema cord which seems sweet but I'm not finding any with reflective properties. I'm told dyneema has little to no stretch

Look for Zing-it. Stuff has no stretch. They use larger sizes of it to haul huge fishing nets in from trawlers.

Lawson and/or Dutchware Gear. Dutch makes ultralight aluminum and titanium hooks and friction attachment doohickeys. Both have cord for a bunch of different strengths and properties.

NameMaterialTen StrgthDiam.Weight (per 50yd)
Amsteel?1600/2500lb2.78/3.18mm1.3/2.19oz
Zing-itPoly coated Dyneema400lb1.75mm1.24oz
DynaGlideVinyl coated Spectra1000lb1.8mm1.27oz
Lawson GlowirePoly jacketed poly core225/400lb2/3mm1.75/3.75oz
Lawson Ironwire SpectraBraided Poly Fused Spectra600lb2mm1.3oz
Lawson Ironwire TechnoraBraided Poly Fused Technora500lb2mm1.45oz
Lawson Spectra GuywirePoly Jacketed Spectra400lb2mm1.65oz
Lawson Ultraglide BearlinePure Spectra 10001000lb2.5mm1.70oz

Last edited:

cjayflo

FNG
I have been using yellow zing it for years. The same cords on the guy outs for years. No issues.

I have some of the bar tensions, but have yet to try them. They work kind of like the old school plastic ones that come on cheaper tents. You can also order LineLocks from zpacks.com, or you can just use a tautline hitch if really trying to go light weight.