Larger hydration bladders

Takeem406

WKR
I keep finding myself draining my 3L Source bladder, or rationing water to the point of dehydration. I know the simple solution is to pack extra bottles and I do. But is anyone making like a 4+L bladder? I don't mind the extra weight as it quickly gets lighter anyways. I saw MSR has a 6L that would be perfect but it's about 60 bucks by the time you get a hose for it.
I pack a filter but higher up the water sources are few and what puddles I've found have cow crap in it... Not sure why any rancher would have cows at 7500' but oh well...
Thanks!

OP
Takeem406

Takeem406

WKR
Sounds like the way to go for the money! LOL after buying Kenetreks and paying a down payment for my bear hide, money is a little tight lol!

Sounds like the way to go for the money! LOL after buying Kenetreks and paying a down payment for my bear hide, money is a little tight lol!

Trust me man i can feel you on that. If your into saving money right now, pack a couple extra 1liter gatorade bottles. Much lighter than nalgene bottles.

OP
Takeem406

Takeem406

WKR
She just shipped from eBay! Can't wait! Kinda sad my bow season is almost over and some of my gear is just getting here. Waterfowl opens up here in a couple weeks!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I keep a 6l dromlite in my pack on most extended hunts and only fill it up when I am heading up a moubtain to stay a while or going to be a while between fresh water sources. Don't need a hose or anything for it. Just use it as water storage and dump the water in the dromlite into your 3 liter bladder as needed.

oldgoat

WKR
I used a camelback this year but rarely drank from it, but rather used it to fill up my nalgene bottle, you could do the same with the dromedary and not have to buy the hose etc.l

desertcj

WKR
I use a Source 3L bladder with the Cordura case. Yeah it adds weight but it's tough as nails! It's usually enough, but I have considered getting a second bladder and filling it when I know it's a long stretch between water.

Old thread, but Platypus 2 liters are light and cheap enough that I'd just carry a pair of them. Gives you the ability to use just one and then fill the other when needed. Plus, it would let you know when you've used half your water and gives you a backup if one gets damaged.

Doghed

WKR
Old thread, but Platypus 2 liters are light and cheap enough that I'd just carry a pair of them. Gives you the ability to use just one and then fill the other when needed. Plus, it would let you know when you've used half your water and gives you a backup if one gets damaged.
Same here. I have a 2 and 3 liter platypus big zip as my main drinking source (depending on the pack) and have a bunch of the 2 liter platy bottles if I need to carry extra when away from water. The platy bottles allow me to spread/balance the weight and when empty they roll up and stash very nice. I'm about to cache all the platy bottles in a couple weeks when I scout for an Aoudad hunt in February. Steep terrain, no water, and I don't want to have to hike down and up every other day for water.
BH.