Best canister stove??

16Bore

WKR
You can go stupid light with a 600 Mug, Snowpeak silicon bowl and Snowpeak Lite Max, which appears to be the same as Kovea. The inverted Kovea Spider is a bad mofo and will be in my mitts before long to use with my 1400 Ti. It's a sleeper....

CA Karen

Lil-Rokslider
Still run my Pocket Rocket with a wind screen, have a Soto Windmaster but the height it has makes it tipy so it stays at the quad.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
The inverted Kovea Spider is a bad mofo and will be in my mitts before long to use with my 1400 Ti. It's a sleeper....

I picked up the Kovea Spider a while back when it was on massdrop, and I have been very impressed with it so far. It was a lot lighter and much more compact than I anticipated. I'm running it with an olicamp.

Lots of variables here. For short 3-5 day trips I use like others the Soto Windmaster and a Ti cup. Anything longer than 5-days, the efficency factor kicks in and I either go with a Jet-boil SOL TI, or a MSR Windboiler depending on conditions. For me the little Soto is so light but it will go through a small 110 gram canister in 5 days where I can get 8-9 days out of the same canister with a Jet boil or Windboiler.

bbrown

WKR
Soto wind master for me too - paired with the GSI Haulite minimalist set when solo or with the Olicamp XTS pot for 2 or more

charvey9

WKR
Jetboil Sol Ti (they don't make them any more, but can still be found) with the Ruta Locura kit. Gets the weight down to 6oz. Stove nests in the bottom of the cup, so you can fit two small fuel canisters inside the cup.

Fisher624

FNG
I use an MSR pocket rocket and an MSR Titan kettle. 8.4 ounces together.

I've run it at 0 degrees, off the ground with a warm canister, and as high as 10000' with no major performance loss. Not when just boiling for coffee and Mt House.

jherald

WKR
I run a soto micro regulator with windscreen and cut to fit the jetboil sol-ti cup. The soto is one of the more fuel efficient stoves and the regulator setting allows you to actually cook with it, you can have a low simmer or a high boil.

charvey9

WKR
not trying to hi jack the thread but charvey9, do you still have the fuel efficency with the Ruta Locura kit?

Yes. You are still using the Jetboil cup so you get all the effciency of the fins to help with heating. Boil times are on par with the regular jet boil stove.

The only thing that is a bit of a trial is getting the cup on the stove. The three "prongs" of the stove have to be manipulated a bit to get the cup to sit right. Worth it though for the weight savings in my opinion.

For easy fitting of the SOTO into the Jetboil fins, I slightly widened the gaps of the fins on the Jetboil cup for the SOTO prongs to fit easily into. I marked the cup with a Sharpee and it's fast and easy to identify exactly where to stick the pot on the burner. Works fast and easy. Surprisingly, the Sharpee marks have lasted 2 years with no sign of going anywhere.

Last edited:

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
I really like this setup - Optimus Crux

You could reuse your jetboil pot and just buy the stove portion, although I really like the pot that comes with the package.

I really like this setup - Optimus Crux

You could reuse your jetboil pot and just buy the stove portion, although I really like the pot that comes with the package.

I really like the pot and may try it eventually. I'm not a huge fan of that stove and might try it with one a little more upward firing like the MSR or Soto. My current Snow Peak fires a little too outward, which would be great if using a bigger pot or pan, but for pots like the Optimus or Jetboil I think it hurts the efficiency.

work765

WKR
I was kind of sold on my first stove being the MSR wind boiler. I read and saw some great reviews on it regarding efficiency and weight.
But it seems like a lot of people in this thread are using the Soto... Is the soto better? My trips will most likely be less than 5 days, in California.

work765,
If you're concerned with weight in your pack, the MSR Windboiler is on the heavy side (Specs at 15.25 ounces). You can get a setup for half that weight with the Soto and a Lightweight Pot. For 5 day trips, you wouldn't even necessarily have to modify a Jetboil cup or get a HE type pot for the increased efficiency. I'd think you would be all set with the small Isobutane cannister as well, unless you do a ton of cooking with the stove.

work765

WKR
work765,
If you're concerned with weight in your pack, the MSR Windboiler is on the heavy side (Specs at 15.25 ounces). You can get a setup for half that weight with the Soto and a Lightweight Pot. For 5 day trips, you wouldn't even necessarily have to modify a Jetboil cup or get a HE type pot for the increased efficiency. I'd think you would be all set with the small Isobutane cannister as well, unless you do a ton of cooking with the stove.

Thanks for the response Snowcamo. I honestly didn't even know I could get the weight down that low. Looks like I'll be getting a Soto soon! Now to figure out the pot.