Best canister stove??

You can go pretty light if you need to.

TiSoloSotoMSR_zpsdd1ed349.jpg

I'd recommend the Olicamp XTS pot. I paid about $28 bucks and while it's aluminum, it boils a lot faster than my Snow Peak Titanium boiler. Considering the weight in fuel savings, I don't think the SP has much of an advantage. I don't have a Soto yet but hope to upgrade my Coleman Peak 1 next summer. Having the regulator on the Soto would be my main reason to upgrade.

It's a Titanium Jetboil cup that I dremeled off the bottom portion of. The Soto fits up in those fins perfectly. I've had zero fin damage over the past two seasons too, which has surprised me.

OP
A

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
I'm banking on Mrs. Clause hooking me up with a soto this year for Christmas. It sounds like a proven little stove. That kovea spider looks pretty cool too.

16Bore

WKR
An inverted canister stove that can make pancakes in a Ti 900 lid aint just pretty.

Bmcox86

WKR
I have a snow peak giga power with a gsi micro dualist pot. Works great and on a recent trip I boiled water a minute fast than the other two guys with jet boils.

work765

WKR
Does the soto wind master fit in a olicamp pot with a gas canister? I've see pics of the micro fitting in horizontally. But the wind master is taller I believe. How are you guys packing yours up?

MattB

WKR
Funny peripherally related story. A few years back in hunting camp a woman was talking stoves to a bunch of guys in camp. A friend's wife who was also in camp overheard her talking about her pocket rocket and joined the conversation. They talked a bit about how much each woman loved theirs, how they took them everywhere, and the colors. One's was silvery and my friend's wife was pink. They finished the conversation and went on their merry ways. Amazingly, through it all the guys in the conversation were able to keep straight faces. Priceless.

To shed weight from the overall setup, that's all. Not that the foam weighs much, but every tiny bit adds up. The ring of Gorilla tape around the top allows me to grab the cup with hot water inside without melting my fingers.

charvey9

WKR
It's a Titanium Jetboil cup that I dremeled off the bottom portion of. The Soto fits up in those fins perfectly. I've had zero fin damage over the past two seasons too, which has surprised me.

I really like this. I have an extra Sol Ti cup and will give this a shot as it would allow me to easily place my cup on the BRS-3000T stove without having to work it around that bottom ring.

charvey9

WKR
funny peripherally related story. A few years back in hunting camp a woman was talking stoves to a bunch of guys in camp. A friend's wife who was also in camp overheard her talking about her pocket rocket and joined the conversation. They talked a bit about how much each woman loved theirs, how they took them everywhere, and the colors. One's was silvery and my friend's wife was pink. They finished the conversation and went on their merry ways. Amazingly, through it all the guys in the conversation were able to keep straight faces. Priceless.

lol!

Dremel and one of their small metal cutoff wheels is the ticket, then grind any sharp edges carefully with a file. Don't try to pry or loosen the connections on the cup by bending anything because the chance of pulling the metal all the way through the cup is highly probable. I know that many people have had problems with the fins on the Sol Ti cups melting off. I always make certain that there's water in the cup before the SOTO is fired up. I don't even risk trying to start the SOTO and then quickly add water to the cup. Two seasons and there is zero sign of any fin melting and I think part of that is because I'm religious about keep water in the cup before heat is applied.

I have had good results with my Optimus Crux and OliCamp XTS.

It's the only combination I have ever used though so take that for what its worth.

I used a BRS 3000T (25 grams) this season, all summer through archery season. I would guess I have 30+ boils without any issues. The folks over at backpackinglight have also had good results and I picked it up for about $8. It doesn't have a ignition so you do carry a lighter, which I would carry a couple of anyway... I paired it with an Oli camp pot off amazon. For less than $40 I have a 7.5oz cook kit. I did have to cut some of the fins back to accommodation the stove + pot but It works great, boils fast and is very stable.

I have a snow peak giga power with a gsi micro dualist pot. Works great and on a recent trip I boiled water a minute fast than the other two guys with jet boils.

I have a snow peak and love it, but boiling speed while an easy comparison isn't exactly fair as the jetboil burner doesn't use nearly as much gas on full power but also doesn't put out nearly as much heat. I have to keep my snow peak at less than half power to keep from burning up the neoprene on the side of my jetboil pot. I burnt the handle off on my first trip.

I've been using an MSR Micro Rocket with a Snow Peak Hybrid Summit pot (about 800ml). Pretty happy with the performance and lightweight of this system. One question regarding getting the best fuel mileage from backpacking stoves in general: Are you better off running your flame wide open and getting quick boils, or throttle it back to say 1/2 or 3/4?

I've been using an MSR Micro Rocket with a Snow Peak Hybrid Summit pot (about 800ml). Pretty happy with the performance and lightweight of this system. One question regarding getting the best fuel mileage from backpacking stoves in general: Are you better off running your flame wide open and getting quick boils, or throttle it back to say 1/2 or 3/4?
For max efficiency, I only run the flame wide enough to cover the bottom of the pot, which is about 1/2 open with my setup. Full throttle throws the flame up the sides of the pot, which is a waste of heat/fuel. I do the same thing at home on the gas range. Drives the wife crazy when I readjust the flame when she's cooking...;).