Best canister stove??

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
My jetboil stove I've had for a long time finally crapped the bed... It's been good but I'm wondering if I should try something else or just go with another one. I'm trying to keep my weight down to a minimum. Anybody got any suggestions?

I have a Snow Peak and it is great, but I have noticed 2 things that may be true of all stoves. 1) The pizo igniter is worthless and has never worked, especially at high altitude. 2) If I leave it out in the rain it won't light right away and takes some drying out with my lighter before it will work. I actually use a Jetboil pot with my Snow Peak and I just cut some slits in the Jetboil to make it sit lower on the stove and be more efficient. This works quite well, but the Snow Peak is much more powerful than the Jetboil stove, so even at half power I melted the handle off and scorched the lower parts of the neoprene a bit. I can send throw up some pictures if you would like. This is much more efficient (but heavier) than my Snow Peak 700 Titanium pot.

That being said, I have been researching for a buddy and what I would go with the next time would be a combination of an MSR pocket rocket with the Optimus Weekender HE pot. There are videos on youtube of guys getting 1.5 minute boil times with cold water (at home).

AndyB

WKR
Ive had good results with my first canister stove. MSR 'Micro' rocket Boil times at home for 500ml of cold water is 1.45 mins. Coming from a meths burner that is quick. Downside for me is the noise, rocket by name rocket by nature. :)

The other problem, for me at least, is these burn times get destroyed when up at 11-12k ft and your water is starting at about 40 deg; it more than doubles your boil time with or without the wind. Went on a trip to MT this summer and went 5 days with 2 people on a large canister and didn't even empty it. Up where I like to go in Holy Cross a small canister will get me 2 days for 1 person if I am careful to turn it off the second I get a boil.

Last edited:

Takeem406

WKR
The MSR Windproof 2 seems to be doing great so far! But this is my first stove so I can't compare it to anything. But the wind screen really helps.

I've had excellent results with the Soto OD-1R Micro regulator the past two seasons in combination with a Jetboil Ti cup that I cut off some of the excess material. It's crazy light and works well. The Piezo on the Soto is built really well and has always fired for me.

I've had excellent results with the Soto OD-1R Micro regulator the past two seasons in combination with a Jetboil Ti cup that I cut off some of the excess material. It's crazy light and works well. The Piezo on the Soto is built really well and has always fired for me.

Same set up here.

My igniter got fried on the last goat hunt of the year. A chunk of burning titanium came off the bottom of the cup(from the heatcoil/fin things) and fell onto the igniter totally ruining it. I'd buy another one but I'm pretty cheap, so I'll just get used to the inconvenience of having to use a lighter. But if you don't burn the crap out of the igniter, it's a sweet setup :)

I had read that's a problem with the jetboil titanium, especially when using the pot with other stoves that burn a lot hotter than the jetboil, which is pretty much all of them. I just cut slots in the excess metal for the pot supporters rather than cut off a ring because it works pretty good as a wind guard.

I had read that's a problem with the jetboil titanium, especially when using the pot with other stoves that burn a lot hotter than the jetboil, which is pretty much all of them. I just cut slots in the excess metal for the pot supporters rather than cut off a ring because it works pretty good as a wind guard.

Same. I just cut slots in the ring so the pot supports slide into the cup. About half of the fins have burned off but thats after years of use and abuse and hundreds of boils.

OP
A

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
What are you guys using for a wind shield? I saw a stove on western hunter and it looked like there was a half wind shield built on it... maybe I don't know what I saw???

What are you guys using for a wind shield? I saw a stove on western hunter and it looked like there was a half wind shield built on it... maybe I don't know what I saw???

I think that's the optimus one. I don't use it anymore now that I'm using the jetboil on my snow peak, but I have the snow peak one and I don't think it helped much.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Windshield/dp/B00KAOQLQI

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Same set up here.

My igniter got fried on the last goat hunt of the year. A chunk of burning titanium came off the bottom of the cup(from the heatcoil/fin things) and fell onto the igniter totally ruining it. I'd buy another one but I'm pretty cheap, so I'll just get used to the inconvenience of having to use a lighter. But if you don't burn the crap out of the igniter, it's a sweet setup :)

I like your guys style!!! Soto windmaster the last 2 seasons. Standard soto the 4 seasons before that on top of jetboil cups.

Super fast boil times but just use the standard jetboil sumo cup(aluminum not titanium after we burned all the fins off in a hurry) and super nice to boil water for 3 mountain house meals all at the same time.

Here I a break down on some test and boil times of various setups and results.

https://vimeo.com/90294667

I must be lucky. I cut all of the metal off my cup and the SOTO stove arms fit right up into the fins. I always make certain to have water in the cup before I start the stove. I've heard if you run them dry without liquid, the Titanium goes into meltdown. There's not a sign of any damage to the fins on mine...knock on wood. I do think the Jetboil burner might be slightly more efficient though.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like your guys style!!! Soto windmaster the last 2 seasons. Standard soto the 4 seasons before that on top of jetboil cups.

Super fast boil times but just use the standard jetboil sumo cup(aluminum not titanium after we burned all the fins off in a hurry) and super nice to boil water for 3 mountain house meals all at the same time.

Here I a break down on some test and boil times of various setups and results.

https://vimeo.com/90294667

Ditto on the soto windmaster. GREAT stove and I've had no issues with the lighter.

Randy

OP
A

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
How about a good lightweight cup? Or maybe I ought to fab on my jetboil cup...

OP
A

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
Luke I can't get your video to play. Must be my internet connection.

How about a good lightweight cup? Or maybe I ought to fab on my jetboil cup...

My problem with my lightweight titanium pots is that they take much longer to boil because they lose so much heat to the wind. I have the Snow Peak 700, 450 and 900 and the 700 is the perfect pot for a single 2cup boil. I think if you made your own neoprene coozy it may work better.