Lightweight camo softshell?

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I am on the same tack and about ready to pull the trigger on an Under Armour Ridge Reaper shell. Seems to be quiet and 90% wind block in a thin shell. Pretty well thought out and a decent camo pattern.

bates

WKR
I wouldn't compare Teton to arcteryx. I had Teton and sent back

Probably my favorite everyday jacket is the arcteryx gamma mx, love it.

In camo I really like the kuiu peloton 200 hoodie n chinook combo or just the 240 zip jacket or hoodie

I think the 240 would be closer to the link while the chinook is a bit lighter than the gamma

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Bates, you are spot on! The Peloton 240 zip jacket is just like the Arcteryx Fortrez based on the specs. I also emailed First Lite asking if they have anything. Their stuff seems appealing but they don't advertise their weights. They emailed me to say they will advertise weights for their 2016 lineup.

The Arcteryx Fortrez is not a softshell, more a fleece and I dont belive it even has dwr coating. If you want an awesome light softshell try an Arctyex Leaf combat jacket. Pure softshell, no fleece backing at all and tons of great features. In fact there is a guys selling one in multicam on here, a great jacket. Meant to replace bdu clothes under body armour. I have one in croc and it is awesome. Blocks wind, a pretty hard rain, breathes well, pit zips, huge pockets, some oth great stuff.

Kotaman

WKR
Sitka's new Timberline Softshell looks interesting. Seemed light when I saw it in Reno, but have not heard a weight on it yet.

I've got a bunch of Arcteryx stuff...including the Fortrez and Combat Jacket. The Fortrez is definitely a 'hard faced fleece', no DWR...but it is a great layering fleece. The combat jacket is awesome, I love mine...if it had a hood I would have the perfect hunting softshell jacket.

I am lucky to have had many pieces of arcteryx kit issued to use and abuse over the years as well as many I have paid for. Kuiu, Sitka and many of the hunting specific pieces of kit are very solid but they are not up to the arcteryx level and certainly not the leaf level. Very expensive but you get what you pay for. The croc colour is awesome, just eats up light and blends in so well in all environments and you can also use it in all areas without looking out of place like with some of the camo patterns. No with all these posts maybe arcteryx will sponsor me and give me some more kit!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka's new Timberline Softshell looks interesting. Seemed light when I saw it in Reno, but have not heard a weight on it yet.
Sitka is also offering a lighter one than the Timberline for 2016 called the Mountain Jacket. It does not have a hood. I've been testing both for a few months now. I need to weigh them, but they are pretty dang light. I'm thinking that Timberline jacket is "almost rain jacket waterproof" but need to finish a few tests to confirm this.

Last edited:

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
The 2016 Sitka lineup is on their website now. Still can't order until June but it has all the info for everything. The mountain jacket comes in at 12lbs 4ozs and the timberline comes in at 18lbs 3ozs. They don't list what size jacket was measured but that'll give you an idea.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 2016 Sitka lineup is on their website now. Still can't order until June but it has all the info for everything. The mountain jacket comes in at 12lbs 4ozs and the timberline comes in at 18lbs 3ozs. They don't list what size jacket was measured but that'll give you an idea.
I think you mean 12.4ozs and 18.3ozs. : ) Cool! Glad to see the stuff is live!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka is also offering a lighter one than the Timberline for 2016 called the Mountain Jacket. It does not have a hood. I've been testing both for a few months now. I need to weight them, but they are pretty dang light. I'm thinking that Timberline jacket is "almost rain jacket waterproof" but need to finish a few tests to confirm this.
How would the mountain jacket compare to the jetstream lite? They seem to have the same purpose, or, am I missing something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never used the Jetstream Lite. The Mountain jacket is pretty lite and made with Gore's most recent windstopper fabric. It's my bet the Jetstream Lite fades away.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never used the Jetstream Lite. The Mountain jacket is pretty lite and made with Gore's most recent windstopper fabric. It's my bet the Jetstream Lite fades away.
The mountain jacket may be for me, never liked the Jetstream lite having chest pockets but no hand pockets.
Found a YouTube video where a sitka rep said it will replace the Jetstream lite

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk