Lightest barrel you would use?

GKPrice

Banned
If you are only wanting to hold 1 moa at 500 yards could probably get away with a factory rifle.. But for a custom you could go with a "featherweight" taper barrel, 2-2.5lbs at 23 inches, .580" at the muzzle. With the right stock, Manners EH or McMillan Edge (both are around 22-26 ounces). Depending on bottom metal and action Id imagine you could come in without scope around 5 lbs....

All three of my front line Tikka superlights hold "MOA to 500 yards" ?? I don't get your assumptions ??

GKPrice

Banned
The adirondack is about the same weight as the mountain ascent. However maybe the bolt knob is steel, and maybe the trigger guard is steel. If so, then with some mods the Adirondack could be lighter. I tried Googling but can't figure it out.

enter Steve and / or Luke .......

GKPrice

Banned
A 6.5# finished rifle that shoots good would be awesome!

Spent way too much time last year packing a 14# rifle for elk and a 10# rifle for Coues.

Hard to go the Kimber route with the varied reports on accuracy. Picked up a Savage Lighweight hunter and not pleased with it. May do a re-barrel if it does not shape up.

buy a Kimber Montana, take it to your gunsmith and have him completely troubleshoot it and put a Douglas (insert your favorite) barrel on it and you'll have a great mountain hunting rifle that's "yours" for less than a custom that's as light as a large feather

GKPrice

Banned
My NULA 6.5 CRD is right at 5 lbs with a Swarovski 3-9x36 and shoots sub-moa. It has a 22" #1 contour barrel and 14" LOP stock.

IMHO, it is the perfect backpack/mountain rifle.
f2145de674176a754a4a5a7d52aeb696.jpg

EDIT: *6 lbs* please don't stone me, fellas

OR do this and be happy .......

I recently cut a 6.5 creed down to 17 inches and I lost very little velocity considering I have been shooting barnes 120 tipped triple shocks with 48 grains of superformance and I am still getting 2825 fps with zero pressure signs. I expected to be down in the 2700 range so I am really happy with the results.
as far at the lightest weight barrels it's hard to beat one of the carbon fiber options out there, but most of the good quality #1 contour barrels out there will shoot practically just as good and weigh as little or less, and cost a whole lot less :)