Lightest barrel you would use?

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
If you were going to build a 6.5mm Creedmoor rifle, what is the lightest barrel you could use? Also what length barrel would you use?

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
What distances are you trying to get with it?

On my 280ai I went with a Bartlein #3, which is .670 at the muzzle, "Heavy Sporter", 3.5 lbs's @ 26 inches long. I shoot out to 1000 yards with it (under 1/2 moa), complete rifle weight (glass, bi-pod, ammo, buttpack stock) is around 9.5 lbs... Bare rifle I would guess just under 7 lbs with no glass... I dont think I would go much lighter for shooting long range... Very packable...

Last edited:
OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Well it'd be for carrying around the mountains, so lightweight is important. The range wouldn't be anywhere close to 1000. It's for hunting so the Creedmoor is not effective enough for my preferences at 1000 yards. Let's say 500 yards or under. If it could shoot 1 moa that would be enough. I'm basically curious if I could make a rifle that's lighter than a Kimber Mountain Ascent (which isn't chambered in 6.5 creedmoor anyway). Brown Precision Pound'r, potentially a titanium action, Hastings Microcell recoil pad (if they still make them), some ultralight barrel, talley lightweight rings, probably Leupold VX2 3-9x33 ultralight.

Orion81

FNG
Why not the Kimber Adirondack? It's chambered in 6.5 with 18" barrel. You lose a little speed, but not significant enough to matter for a hunting rifle at the ranges you seek. I know from previous posts that Luke hunts often with an 18" pipe.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
You could mimic the Remington 700 Mt Rifle Contour or even the Kimber Montain Ascent profile.

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
If you are only wanting to hold 1 moa at 500 yards could probably get away with a factory rifle.. But for a custom you could go with a "featherweight" taper barrel, 2-2.5lbs at 23 inches, .580" at the muzzle. With the right stock, Manners EH or McMillan Edge (both are around 22-26 ounces). Depending on bottom metal and action Id imagine you could come in without scope around 5 lbs....

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Why not the Kimber Adirondack? It's chambered in 6.5 with 18" barrel. You lose a little speed, but not significant enough to matter for a hunting rifle at the ranges you seek. I know from previous posts that Luke hunts often with an 18" pipe.

The adirondack is about the same weight as the mountain ascent. However maybe the bolt knob is steel, and maybe the trigger guard is steel. If so, then with some mods the Adirondack could be lighter. I tried Googling but can't figure it out.

Well it'd be for carrying around the mountains, so lightweight is important. The range wouldn't be anywhere close to 1000. It's for hunting so the Creedmoor is not effective enough for my preferences at 1000 yards. Let's say 500 yards or under. If it could shoot 1 moa that would be enough. I'm basically curious if I could make a rifle that's lighter than a Kimber Mountain Ascent (which isn't chambered in 6.5 creedmoor anyway). Brown Precision Pound'r, potentially a titanium action, Hastings Microcell recoil pad (if they still make them), some ultralight barrel, talley lightweight rings, probably Leupold VX2 3-9x33 ultralight.

My M700 Ti in .260 is making me very happy in the role you describe, so I bet that duplicating it in Creedmore would be pretty sweet!

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
If I was going to do this rifle the goal would be as close to 4 lbs as possible. Is it possible to safely take one of those 2 lbs featherweight contour barrels and flute them? I would then cut it to probably 20 inches.

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
If I was going to do this rifle the goal would be as close to 4 lbs as possible. Is it possible to safely take one of those 2 lbs featherweight contour barrels and flute them? I would then cut it to probably 20 inches.

Might want to talk to a barrel manufacturer to get a good answer on that one.. Not sure how much youd be able to take off... Prolly Cpu;d shed some weight by chopping 3 inches off though. If you eliminted bottom metal and went to a ADL style could prolly shave some weight as well.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Magazines? Where we're going we won't need magazines. :) Thanks I will definitely do a blind magazine. I might avoid the sling studs and swivels too if I like the Kifaru gun bearer enough.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
You can do a short shank #1 and keep the weight pretty low. Same with a feather weight. A few companies will flute a #1 but the flutes won't do much more than scratch the surface.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
edaca12dd58b920963fe71dfb1839baa.jpg
This one came out under 5lb with a 25" barrel. Model 7 rem, .264 raptor (.264/300 saum imp.) #1 barrel, MPI ultra light stock. Now it wears a Swaro z3 dc and weighs 6lb 2oz. I'd like to build another similar one with a titanium model 7 action. Maybe 4 pounds with 24" barrel would be achievable but with the components available now I think 4 is the limit without shortening the barrel.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
This one came out under 5lb with a 25" barrel. Model 7 rem, .264 raptor (.264/300 saum imp.) #1 barrel, MPI ultra light stock. Now it wears a Swaro z3 dc and weighs 6lb 2oz. I'd like to build another similar one with a titanium model 7 action. Maybe 4 pounds with 24" barrel would be achievable but with the components available now I think 4 is the limit without shortening the barrel.

That's a really sweet gun. Pretty much my ideal.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
It is a sweet setup. I shot it at 500 before handing it over to the customer. It was surprisingly easy to shoot accurately at distance. With practice a light gun can kill at pretty long distance. Sure the light barrels may walk after a few shots but in typical mid to long range hunting situations 3 shots is all you get. We have no problem getting first round kills out to 550 with sub 7 pound rifles (with scope). And before anyone jumps on to say heavy is better I will agree that heavier rifles are easier to shoot accurately and I switch between a 14 lb rifle and a 6.5 lb rifle both in 7WSM depending on hunting style and shot distance.

A 6.5# finished rifle that shoots good would be awesome!

Spent way too much time last year packing a 14# rifle for elk and a 10# rifle for Coues.

Hard to go the Kimber route with the varied reports on accuracy. Picked up a Savage Lighweight hunter and not pleased with it. May do a re-barrel if it does not shape up.

Retterath

WKR

Awesome rifle

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! It sure has done the job well for the guy on a few different species from NM to AK.

LightFoot

WKR
My NULA 6.5 CRD is right at 5 lbs with a Swarovski 3-9x36 and shoots sub-moa. It has a 22" #1 contour barrel and 14" LOP stock.

IMHO, it is the perfect backpack/mountain rifle.
f2145de674176a754a4a5a7d52aeb696.jpg

EDIT: *6 lbs* please don't stone me, fellas

Last edited: