Advice on my kill kit

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depends on your style and pack design. The BOMB pack set comes with 4 ea 14X34 (tubular) bags and 2 ea 14X20 bags for tenderloins/backstraps or organ meat. That's if you debone the elk.

If you prefer to go with leg bones intact, then 24X44 sets will do it.

larry

So how many TAG bags (I have medium) in the kit you carry in the field? I'm thinking two because I would carry a quarter and, best case scenario I'm with a partner who would also carry one. Then grab the rest at the truck when going back for load 2. At 3.6 oz/bag that would save about 2/3 of a pound in the kit.

So how many TAG bags (I have medium) in the kit you carry in the field? I'm thinking two because I would carry a quarter and, best case scenario I'm with a partner who would also carry one. Then grab the rest at the truck when going back for load 2. At 3.6 oz/bag that would save about 2/3 of a pound in the kit.

Carry the whole kit. You want to have all the meat in those bags when you are done butchering and making your first trip to the truck.

Carry the whole kit. You want to have all the meat in those bags when you are done butchering and making your first trip to the truck.

Ah yes good point. When I shot my bull last year I came back to two dusty/dirty quarters after making the first trip and this is exactly why.

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome Suggestions. Well I just bought some ironwire to replace the 550cord. I'm pretty sold on the space blanket. It's a really cheap and light alternative to a tarp for keeping meat clean. I don't know exactly what my kill kit weighs in at now but I'll get an accurate weight as soon as I can. I've never had to put meat in the creek to keep it cool but having those garbage bags seems pretty important if the need arises. In the last two years I haven't used the extra knife or saw. I think I'll leave those at home. I'll cut off some of that marking tape and only take maybe 20 ft. I read a suggestion on here a while ago where a guy wrapped some electrical tape around trekking poles. I use that to attach tags so I need to bring some with me, just not the whole roll I suppose. Taking these suggestions will get my kill kit to about as light as I think it can possibly go. Then I can check that off my list of improvements to make for next season and worry about the other 200 things. I appreciate the info everyone.
Where is everyone getting the ironwire? When I search it steel tie wire (bailing wire)is what shows up.

Richard

Those BOMB bags are money! Before I'd use the cheese cloth ones my dad would use hunting deer on the farm.
I got the defective bags last year and even with the flaw of coming apart they still handled my bear and two deer.
I emailed them last week and I'm getting a fresh set to replace them!

desertcj

WKR
I started carrying a folding saw a couple years ago. I have used it more than I thought I would. I used it to cut the ribs off of the deer I shot this year and they were some good eating! I don't hold it against anyone for not taking ribs when you're 5 miles from the truck, but if it's feasable...I won't be leaving them anymore.

I would ditch the emergency blanket. I've been carrying one for years and I have never used it even when I was freezing...lol. Also, ditch the electrical tape unless you have a great use for it? A couple of zip ties work great for attaching a tag. I can't imagine leaving the contractor bags at home. I use them every time I kill something.

Last edited:

lkwoolsey

WKR
I carry a havalon piranta with 6 extra blades, 2 pairs nitrile gloves, set of large TAG bags (for elk) a lightweight piece of painters tarp from Fred Meyer for boning out meat on, and 1 Kuiu extra large dry bag, for keeping the meat in while inside my pack. Already got 550 in my possible pouch, so if I'm hanging it, I'll just dig into that. I don't mess with flagging tape, never needed it. I just mark the spot on my GPS, and make sure to leave the meat in an area I'll recognize, even in the dark. That's it, and it all goes into the Kifaru UL pullout. And my tag of course. Weighs a pound?