Food for a week

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I'd recommend trying to eat 3 mtn house a day prior to your trip if you haven't already. I agree with just about everyone here, I think it would be a mistake and unnecessary. I eat 1 mtn house a day, tops...but that is just me. I bring other items for breakfast and lunch.

I would bring MTNOPS Magnum, but plan on mixing it in a ziplock w/ oatmeal or something separate from your water bottle. Its hard to rinse/clean Magnum residue out of your bottle. Yeti/Enduro wash out just fine.

bhylton

WKR
all i can say about MH is its a huge step up from MRE's. after eating 3 MRE's a day for 14 straight days firefighting MH's go down (and come out) so much better haha. for hunting I do 1 MH for dinner so i dont sleep on an empty stomach. Usually a starbucks via and some snus for breakfast and assorted "organic" type nut + seed bars and some crackers for lunch. sometimes some of those foil packages of tuna also.

If you eat 18 mountain house in 6 days you will never do it again... Because you will die.

Below is what I will eat on a daily basis, obviously mix type up and more days then not I will only eat 2 of the 3 bars, or I'll swap a bar for a tube of nuts or something. I'll swap the oatmeal for grits or a bagel with PBJ and honey as well.

dd8e2986884deb99b2f0888cd469d780.jpg

Last edited:
18 mountain house meals in 6 days.... Or even 10 days might cause you to never crap again!

Each day I eat:
1 MH
2 bars
1 Jack links pepperoni and cheese stick individual pack
Pack of cheese or PB crackers
And I graze on some trail mix

I've packed out food almost every trip.

Josh

You know you have reached epic gas levels when you wake yourself up at night. Mountain House Chili Mac and a mummy bag is NOT a good combination.

HAHA! OMG that the truth bro!
Yup Thats why I call it Chili Mac n BvvvvvvT. Ive gagged myself out of my cats meow bag on several occasions from that stuff. Usually some time from 2:30 AM to around 4. Getting up is usually no problem because the farts only last so long......then Im looking for the boots, flashlight and TP.:eek:

You can use heathers choice, or alpine aire for a MH alternative. I'll only eat 1 dehydrated a day though, I have some of my own I make, and I supplement if I'm too busy with heather or alpine. I use trail mix, bars, and PB honey bacon sammies along with jerky, tuna, and smoked fish to supplement.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting comments here.

Mountain house meals don't mess me up at all. I've never tried eating them three meals a day though!

I prefer Backpackers pantry freeze-dried meals though.

Haven't tried Heathers or Alpine.

The later in the season you hunt, the better your options get. I always have a big hunk of high quality salami. Hard cheeses. Trail mix (varieties with lots of dried fruit for fiber).

Don't do a lot of bars personally.

Breakfasts are usually oatmeal but this year I'm switching to a high protein hot cereal blend from Bob's Redmill I think. Going to pack in honey and maybe even some butter if the temps will stay below 55.

Definitely a +1 on high caloric olive oil, but that only counts for quality stuff. Most store bought olive oil is crap... You really need a good source. It has a laxative effect though so keep that in mind.

Also - tapatio sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dog812

WKR
I did a 11 day self guided fly in hunt last September.
My days looked like this:
Mount house breakfast.
3 Starbucks coffee, 3 sugar packs
4 bars, protein, builders , cliff and elevate.
2 oatmeal packs.
Some dehydrated fruit
And mount house dinner.

I packed enough food for 13 days in case we got fogged in our something.
I was never hungry. 1.14# per day.
The meals didn't really bother me. We hiked mountains all day every day, so I was looking forward to eating by the time dinner was around.
a3d9ea074205d70c3e4062415e48288d.jpg

Last edited:

wyodog

FNG
It totally depends who you are on how much food you need. My son eats times as much I do on backpacking hunts. He's thin and in shape and he hungry all the time. I'm heavier and older and have to make myself eat. We are both working and hiking the same amount. I just figure my body is eating itself while I'm working hard. I also loose a lot weight on a trip.

Whip1

FNG
Man that is a lot of mountain house. I am new and maybe this has been covered but the best lightweight food that I take is Couscous. I dont carry any freeze dried anymore. My wife buys me NearEast Couscous, one box is two night of food. On a eight day hunt I will take four boxes and put all of it in a one gallon ziplock and it isnt even half full and it is super light. I have a mark on my camp cup that I use to measure out the appropriate amount, boil about seven ounces of water, add the couscous and let it sit for five minutes. Add one pouch of tuna and half the provided seasoning and its done. I put it on small tortillas with cheese. This pretty much cut my volume of food in half.
Doug

Jason__G

FNG
One option that I use a lot that I don't see mentioned is breakfast cereal.
I measure out my cereal of choice into a ziploc bag, add a scoop of powdered milk and have a great lunch/snack. Just add some cold creek water.
Cereal is a good food due to the variety, weight, and end result. You can get just about any type of cereal that you want. There is everything from super fiber, to super lean, to high calorie, or just fun. I prefer Kashi due to the nutrition to weight ratio, but if want some Raisin Bran, or Grape Nuts, or Trix, more power to you. Most cereal is light and packs fairly small. I use the snack size bags and it is a perfect amount for my trail bowl. The milk settles into the space around the cereal perfectly.
Cereal is a great starter that you can add fruit or nuts to. Mountain-side huckleberries in Cheerios is all kinds of awesome. I hear a lot of people that turn up their noses to powdered milk, but trust me, on a hot day, having a bowl of cereal with cold milk and berries for lunch can be a big moral boost. Especially if it's Count Chocula....

Me and some buddies ate nothing but mtn house last year and it was bad!
I'm surprised we didn't burn holes through our hammocks.
Not to mention walking single file up a mountain lol

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
String cheese, tuna packs, lots of tuna, it comes in all kinds of flavors some chicken packs as well. I like to mix the chicken with some ramen. Also some jack links beef sticks to go with the cheese. Dehydrated Apricots too.

gabenzeke

WKR
The birthing process after that many MH would likely leave you unconscious due to the amount of pain.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tsnider

WKR
i started dehydrating my own meals and its is awesome! i made pad thai and it was seriously so freaking good dude. i got a vacuum sealer and dehydrator. for breakfast ill be doing different variations of oatmeals. this includes some with peanut butter, some with brownsugar, varrying types of berries to mix things up. ill be vacuum sealing a precooked bacon/peanut butter sandwhich for lunch. then ill do awesome dinners like pad thai, frito pie or shepard pie. maybe a tiny bit more weight and hassle(cant poor boiling water into the pouch as easy) but ill be eating good in BFE.

im also really good at making myself eat. i dont pack any extra meal portions. if i lose some food somehow i always have a clif bar or something ill result to.