Best non custom mountain rifle

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same gun in .308 and was looking at the Razor HD LH. How's the eye relief? What rings are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 2-10 and the 1.8-8 version of this scope. both have been on Talleys on kimber Adirondacks, one now sits in Warne QR rings on a Remington 673 guide gun.

eye relief is pretty consistant and a little under 4" the BDC reticle is nice and heavy but narrows down to a pretty fine crosshair, one of the best IMO between precision and low light usability. With my loads the dots are at 324, 425, and 525. I doubt I'll ever shoot to the 325 at a critter though unless it's an attacking Godzilla or something. 308, and 338 federal out of short barrels don't have enough juice left at those ranges for my likes...

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
Contrary to some negative reviews with Kimber, I've been real happy with my Kimber Mountain Ascent this year. It's a .300wsm and comes in at a little over 6.5lbs scoped, so it's a joy to carry all day long up and down the mountain. In the beginning I wasn't too pleased with the accuracy but when I refined my shooting technique (it's the lightest rifle I've ever shot) Im consistently shooting sub-moa with it with Barnes factory ammo.

Ronb

WKR
I’ve had the exact same experience. Put it on a lead sled and Now I get nearly half inch groups.
b2f7a15827b2ab8bf1a89861549fef02.jpg

elkduds

WKR
Interesting article. I find the sitting position more practical than prone for most hunting situations. It allows me to sight over the flora on the ground. I have the sling tight enough on front elbow that the rifle stays in my shoulder without the trigger hand touching the gun. Meaning front hand and shoulder entirely support the gun, while back hand just squeezes the trigger. I practice a lot from sitting position, so I can drop and shoot quickly. This position even stabilizes my 6.5# 270.

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't even put a round down the tube yet, but at 7#2oz, it's a peach. Put a Tikka in a real handle and you're in Montucky money....

I can't see this picture as it is an older post, but what stock did you put on your Tikka?

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
For me weatherby light weight or ultralight weight. Would choose the 30-06 class of cases. Love the 54 degree bolt throw and the smaller 6 lug action is pretty smooth. No reason in the weatherby 6 lug action to go with the smaller .308 size cases as they only make it in one action length. I have one in 7mm-08 and like it a lot but my 30-06 and 280 now AI are my favorites. Almost forgot. Most power in a lightweight is my 338-06. Joy to carry.

Jimss

WKR
Sako Finnlight is pretty tough to beat! I have a 300WSM that I've been climbing steep and deep stuff with for quite a few years and never been disappointed. In fact, I only load 1 shell into it because I'm that confident!

Sako Finnlight is pretty tough to beat! I have a 300WSM that I've been climbing steep and deep stuff with for quite a few years and never been disappointed. In fact, I only load 1 shell into it because I'm that confident!

Really?? So, you only take one round when you go on a hunt, or you only load one round....one at a time?

wyosam

WKR
I’ll take a T3x with a Maven RS2. 7#8oz loaded. Light enough to carry, heavy enough to shoot comfortably and accurately. Could certainly go lighter, could certainly go fancier, could definitely spend more money. Light enough, plenty accurate, reliable, and cheap enough that the abuse it sees doesn’t bother me a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Proof research elevation swaro Z5
My LGS has some Elevation models with MTR or Elevation stocks that are painted same as a Glacier
Very nice rifle for the $

FLS

WKR
700 Mountain in .270 with factory detachable magazine. Shoots lights out with 130 TTSX. Upgraded trigger to a Trigger Tech and bedded factory wood stock. Waiting on an AG Composites Privateer.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I've started carrying a Weatherby Vanguard stainless in .257 Bee that I enjoy, but it hasn't taken game yet and I've only drawn archery tags this year. I really enjoy my Model 70 in 7mm-08 though in the mountains. It's not the lightest platform, but it shoots very well with Hornady American Whitetail factory loads and the extra weight lets it balance for snap shooting. It's a rifle I have no problem hunting with on a deer drive to having to settle in for a 300 yard poke