Goal Zero Nomad 7 Plus

I'm on my second Inergy Spark Xtreme and looking for a better option. I can't get the thing to charge itself let alone my phone.
I was thinking about teaming Dark Energy up with this Nomad to keep my phone and gadgets going.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Im using a nomad 7 with the battery pack if came with. I use it alot throughout the season and occasionally when out on scouting trips.

Nomad 7 puts out pretty good wattage for a small panel package, and you can link them together now too I think. Mine is 3 or 4 yrs old. My nomad 7 has the 4 AA 2600ma a cell and it takes about 6 hours in bright full sun to charge it from under 20% to full. I also use it for charging duracel niMh cells and some enloop batteries that I got in a kit from costco a couple years back.

OP
TradLife406
Seems like the way to go. Only pack a couple batteries and lug a solar panel and a Dark Energy. Usually in September we get good sun in Montana and even later in the season.
You can use it to recharges double A's? That would be great!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just got the Nomad 7 Plus for a fishing trip to Canada. I leave this Friday, so I can give a full review in a couple weeks. The 7 Plus is supposed to be a lot better than the older version, especially in accounting for less than ideal light conditions. My initial impression is that it is very well made. The kickstand is made of a heavy rubber material, so I think you might be able to cut a couple ounces off if you were willing to go without the kickstand.

That being said, as far as backpacking goes I have done the math in the past and depending on your use you are better off with extra batteries for under 5 days and a solar panel only works out weight-wise after that. These calculations were done based on my system of using 18650 batteries for my flashlights and to charge my devices.

OP
TradLife406
Tough call. Two Dark Energy's would be two hundo for enough power to get about a weeks worth of power. But I'll be gone nine days. I'd be less concerned but I need my phone as a camera and to use with the inreach I plan on buying. So probably will be a panel.... Tough call.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've rolled with the nomad 7 and the venture 30 this year. I'm going to switch things up and go with a dark energy with the nomad 7. The panel isn't really heavy, but that venture 30 is like a brick compared to some other power packs. I'm thinking with changing the power packs I'll find my perfect setup for charging. I really like the panel though.

dog812

WKR
Depends what your trying to charge I guess.
I was looking for a solution to charge my Garmin rino on a sheep hunt. The rino needs 9v to charge the battery.
I bought a Chinese external battery that did variable voltage up to 12v.
It also came with the plug that fit my Garmin. $40. Also had a USB port for phones, camera, etc. Worked great, lasted for the whole trip.
I wrote a review on here..
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/gene...ge-garmin-rino-field-multiple-times-pics.html

ontarget7

WKR
I have had zero issues keeping things charged with the Nomad 7 and Venture 30 combo.
I just keep the Venture 30 charged up and then use it for my charging system. Down times in the afternoon I just recharge the Venture 30 and good to go to keep phone and other things charged.

I don't consider the Venture 30 heavy at all.

Now if you really want extra power look at the Cobra Jump Pack XL. Yes, on the heavy side but will keep you going all week.

I look at it if you can't pack that little extra weight to keep you charged up you are over loading your capabilities to begin with.

I spent 8 straight days with this combo in the backcountry and had plenty of juice left after the trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk