Flip flops in Backcountry

as.ks.ak

WKR
+1 for crocs. Great for water crossings and a casual evening by the fire.

cc7a229f1f0df3bef1c6077aaacfd5f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walker6

FNG
Got some dawgs in the mail this week. 10.2oz for a pair of 12/13's.

A little closer to 12 than 13, but plenty wide and should work.

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Ah flip flops... I once took Locals citing the weight savings over Teva sandals.
Had to cross a mid thigh braid 50 yards from the 180 so I tied the old boots to the pack and stepped in...

Before my foot hit the bottom the flip flop ripped off my foot and started it's long journey to the Gulf of Alaska.
It's mate followed three steps later...

as.ks.ak

WKR
For those wondering. Basic crocs and Merrell vapor glove 2s.

6a4ffd27aa9ff8bc9b6d1224f7d335d9.jpg

78d06a517d38afbe3370fe5213c6456e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR

CDNPO

FNG
Just got a pair of "DAWGS" myself after reading this thread. Very happy with my purchase.

I picked up a set a few weeks ago as well. Looking forward to throwing them on and off around the river crossings and mucking about at camp.

mvmnts

WKR
This is the lightweight zone, ya'll need to up your game.

I learned this trick from Skurka, but what I do is if my feet are damp from water or sweat, I let them air out when I get to camp, and then once they are mostly dry I will put on my clean camp/sleep socks and then put put my feet into gallon ziplock bags (or produce bags), and then put my boots/shoes back on. Now my feet are dry and cozy in socks, and they're not getting dirty in camp or wet from my boots and I can go about my business as usual. If you need to dry out your boots, just make sure you take out the insoles and prop them up on sticks overnight where they'll get lots of airflow and any decent pair of footwear should be dry overnight.

A pair of produce bags will last a weekender, or if I'm out for a week or more, I will just use a single set of gallon ziplocks that are much sturdier. Try it, it works great. Save yourself the ridiculous quarter or half pound that a pair of flip flops will cost you.

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
This is the lightweight zone, ya'll need to up your game.

I learned this trick from Skurka, but what I do is if my feet are damp from water or sweat, I let them air out when I get to camp, and then once they are mostly dry I will put on my clean camp/sleep socks and then put put my feet into gallon ziplock bags (or produce bags), and then put my boots/shoes back on. Now my feet are dry and cozy in socks, and they're not getting dirty in camp or wet from my boots and I can go about my business as usual. If you need to dry out your boots, just make sure you take out the insoles and prop them up on sticks overnight where they'll get lots of airflow and any decent pair of footwear should be dry overnight.

A pair of produce bags will last a weekender, or if I'm out for a week or more, I will just use a single set of gallon ziplocks that are much sturdier. Try it, it works great. Save yourself the ridiculous quarter or half pound that a pair of flip flops will cost you.

That's a good idea. I know for me, its nice to be out of my boots and in something different around camp. My feet just feel way better

Anyone tried Vibram Five Fingers Spyridon MR Elites?

Amazon info here: Amazon.com | Vibram Men's Spyridon Mr Elite Trail Running Shoe | Trail Running

Currently are on Massdrop for $50 ... would be interesting to see how they'd go as a stalking / camp / creek crossing option: Massdrop: Bringing Enthusiasts Together

I have a pair very similar to these. Same tread pattern on the sole. I love them. They took some getting used to, but once worn in a bit they're great.
Perfect for stalking, great grip. I've used them canyoneering, and they are good on slippery rocks. Also used them free-diving for abalone and crayfish around rocky shore lines.
Only downfall, my feet get an un godly STINK after having then on for a half hour. Wear them all day, and they come home strapped to the back of the truck! :D

I also have a pair of canvas Cushe's I picked up on a USA trip (from Aus), if I'm not in work boots, I'm in them. I've taken them trekking, and often slip them on and leave the heels pushed flat under my foot

Squirrels

WKR
I ended up scoring a pair of Keen Uneek sandals for about $35, tad heavier than crocs but comfort is far superior. I hate crocs so this was a decent option. They are crazy comfortable and allow a ton of venting. My feet sweat like crazy in crocs.

I wish they would make the hounds in a bigger size. I don't think I could squeeze my size 15/16 into a pair of their 12/13. Any other ideas for those of us with bigger feet, or am I limited to crocs?

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
@blackpowderhunter which xero shoe sandals did you end up getting ? looks like you can get then for as light as 3.7 oz