Flip flops in Backcountry

UtahJimmy

WKR
Last weekend after the morning hunt, I took my boots off to let my feet relax and air out. While stumbling around camp barefoot I thought how luxurious it would be to have some lightweight flip-flops on hand.

Does anyone take a set of light flops, maybe of the Old Navy variety, for keeping their feet from getting cut on rocks/sticks around camp?

Bulldawg

WKR
I have taken a pair of croc flip flops, they weigh nothing hardly but I don't make a habit out of it

Graindrain

Lil-Rokslider
I bring the Croc shoes that look like clogs.

Light weight, and easy on and off for those night time piss breaks.

Don't absorb water so they work when you have to take a "bath" in the creeks and protect your toes.

Its also nice to have something that isn't tight on your feet like boots.

Trial153

WKR
Same here I pack a pair of USA dawgs for camp. I have also used them to finish stalks after taking my boots off if I am getting stickers though my over socks. They are dead quite with soft soles .

I go back and forth on this, I usually never take anything then once I'm in camp I always wish I'd brought something. I continually tell myself I'll bring something next time but haven't yet.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Crocs for me also. The weight is minimal and its one of those small comforts after side hilling all day that I just can't not bring myself to leaving home.

TJ

WKR
Crocs for me also. The weight is minimal and its one of those small comforts after side hilling all day that I just can't not bring myself to leaving home.

I have to agree with this. It's nice to let your feet air out and not have to hobble around on the rocks etc.

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
crocs go with me. I consider my boots very comfortable but the dogs like to breath at the end of the day. Also gives some times for the boots to dry out before the next days adventure. I changed my crocs to the type that have the toe box enclosed (no holes) so that my socks don't get wet in the frost/dew at night and in the mornings.

mtnkid85

WKR
With flip flops you obviously can't wear socks which makes it dreadful when the mozzies are out in full force!

I will sometimes pack them on laid back trips with the wife, super nice to get out of the days shoes/socks. Until you realize you have a million bites on the top of your foot!

PA 5-0

WKR
Crocs. Comfy, light weight, can use for creek/river crossings. Always in my pack. Don't leave them out as the varmits love to chew on them.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Thanks for the feedback! I'll be picking up a pair of crocs per the recommendations!

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
In 2010, we ran out of food and water. Went to town for a hot meal, cold beer and complete restock of food and water. Muzzleloaderscope season ,and very warm out. We had all afternoon to climb mountain, and not wanting to get all sweated up, we dressed very light. Heard a bugle on way up, bugle back and 30 bugle later and hour later he charged by my buddy who tipped the 6×5 over. I was shirtless at time and he was in shorts with flip flops. We still laugh about it today.

I carry a pair of Xero Shoes sandals.
I take them on my backpacking trips, traveling, and on hunting trips.
They work great for water crossings and are very light weight. a bit pricier than flip flops, but they seem virtually indestructible and are warrantied for some ungodly amount of miles.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
I'm surprised to hear that crocs are lightweight.

Are we talking about horseback elk camp lightweight or 10 miles in on foot lightweight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm surprised to hear that crocs are lightweight.

Are we talking about horseback elk camp lightweight or 10 miles in on foot lightweight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe they are about 7-10 ounces for the pair haven't weighed them but they are light

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
3bb94e6455f0535d9c469819a015ed09.jpg

9.8oz for size 13
Edit these are walmart knockoffs not crocs brand best 10$ I've spent on gear yet
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk