Emberlit stove

thejones

WKR
I am thinking of picking one up. They look nice and light, plus no need to carry fuel.

Anyone using one? Or another companies version? Do they work well in field, or just in theory? Do they take too long to boil water for meals etc.?

Thanks

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I like mine, it's definitely slower than alcohol or gas stoves but it is ideal for times when you want to use wood to conserve your other fuel, and it gives you a good base to put a pot on, it is pretty efficient, you don't need a lot of wood to use it, I just pick up a few fallen branches and break them up. I really like it.

Walker6

FNG
They work as advertised. Also a great way to scratch your itch for fire when you don't have time or energy to build a campfire.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv written and asked on this subject a few time here, but here's my 2 cents.

I'll preface by saying I have no experience with the emberlit stove, only a vargo titanium. So take it for what it's worth.

A few years ago I got the itch and got a wood burner to give a go. They are cool little stoves, light, and honestly I'll probably buy another one in a different variety at some point. They are just neat, having a fire is nice, and the fact that they take up no room at all is good too. That's where the good ends.

To boil water on a wood stove it takes work. You need to gather materials, dry materials, sometimes easier said than done. It takes time to get the fire going, it takes time to care for the fire. It takes a lot more time to boil, how fast that will be will totally be dependent on your fuel. Once your done there's cleanup, wood burners can be messy. Pots and stove will be covered in soot. Wood stoves just take time, it's up to you if it's worth it for you.

For me, if I'm going out for a short trip, where I'm not hunting and will have some time to dink around with a wood stove, I'll take it. But if I'm hunting, I want to spend my time hunting, not dinking around with a little fire to eat a warm meal. I'm usually so tired by the time I make it in the tent that I want to eat now, not to gather wood, care for a fire and wait even longer to eat. For that reason, if I'm hunting or doing another demanding task, I'll take a gas stove, for quick, convenient and hassle free meals. If I'm going backpacking, and want something to do to kill time sure I'll bring the wood burner.

They are also a pain in the rain, soaked sticks means you need to split small limbs to get to dry wood, more work, and more knife needed. Just not worth it when I should be spending time hunting.

If it's something your interested in, I suggest getting one and testing it, and not just in your back yard.

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
I have a small Kelly Kettle that works great and doesn't weigh a lot. However, when campfire restrictions are on, usually around middle of June, you can't use these things. An Emberlit would also fall under the "banned" list around here. the rest of the year it's fine though.