My rifle weight

njdoxie

WKR
I carry a 338 wm, weighs 10 lbs loaded, I looked at getting a lighter rifle, but couldn't part with the cash, I might have to skip elk hunting for a year, and NO WAY is that happening, I'd rather drop 3-4 lbs off my waist, and I don't notice the weight anyway. Now if I had cash to burn, I'd buy an UL rifle, but that ain't the case.

OP
aaron600rr

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
Well I went out an purchased a Tikka t3x stainless with a 3-12x40 scope. I went from a 10lb gun to a 7.4lb gun. Just carrying it around the house I notice a big improvement. Time to sell the old set up I guess.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
SELL a gun?????????????????

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

(remember, "SELL" is a 4 letter word!)

OP
aaron600rr

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
SELL a gun?????????????????

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

(remember, "SELL" is a 4 letter word!)
Lol. I've broken the rules haven't I? I've got a buddy just getting into hunting, he's had his eye on it ever since I bought it. It will go to a good home

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

836fb5144559e056f06065f75fe6fe5c.jpg
7dc7c44d326be2515a75631d6f64f116.jpg

I have used an old Ruger .270 for years @8.5#. I pick up the Ascent and had weaver rifles do a little extra work to it. The weight is rifle,scope,caps,sling and 4 rounds.

I think I can get lighter scope caps, but am very happy with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
I have a custom 6.5X300 SAUM that one of the members here who's also my hunting partner built. it weighs 6.2 lbs with the Swaro z3 on top of it. its an awesome sheep rifle! the only disadvantage to lightweight is its harder to make longer distance shots. I killed my Dall this year at 520 but that was starting to push it for a field shot. if you're a long range shooter then you might want to consider going with something heavier.

Kimbersig - there is a threshold where things sort of change from "hunting" to "shooting", technically correct "long range" is not my bag but neither is getting close enough to hear an elk fart for another - In my view that weight threshold of your 6.5x300 edges up to the breakover but some can (and have) mastered shooting a true lightweight rifle to greater distance than others have, or might care to - Rifle weight and the challenges that come along with mastering marksmanship with a lightweight (or an ultra lightweight) should be a consideration but not a steadfast rule IMO, as there are variables in play - As example, I would not consider a traditional brake for hunting and would not care to hunt with anything larger than 30.06/180 as a HUNTING rifle either - Brakes aren't for me and a 6 1/2lb 338 launching a 225 is not either, that doesn't mean the next guy feels the same way - Rifle hunting with ALL the particular decisions that come with the sport are a very personal thing, what you don't try and figure out for yourself now you'll most likely wind up figuring out down the road, for some that's a "journey" and for others it's a PIA - Up to the individual to decide or decipher - As usual, budget constraints can count, so can physical limitations - Again IMO, enjoy the "journey", what you misjudged this season you can have the fun to correct next season

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
My tikka T3 in .260 Remington with a 4-12 vortex and a heavy sling is just under 8lbs...just for a point of reference

BRWNBR

WKR
If you go 8lbs then get a chance to hold a 7lb, you'll feel a sense of regret. If your putting together a light weight gun for packing around do it right! Sub 7lbs all scopes up is more than doable these days. I bought the gun I wanted and sent it to a smith to put it on a diet. I now have a 416 ruger that is 5lb 11oz with my iron sights. Fits like a glove and I lovveee to carry it!! Don't let the ledgend of lightweight recoil scare you off. All guns have recoil. A heavy 338 can be just as bad as a light 338. It's just a different kind of recoil.

mcseal2

WKR
I carry a 264 Win Mag that shoots great and can reach, but weighs 10.5lbs ready to hunt for antelope and whitetail, some plains muley hunts. For a mountain rifle I saved up and had Rifles Inc build me a 300 win mag in a modified version of their lightweight 70. I could have saved a considerable amount of weight, probably 3/4 of a pound, by going to a Remington action. I've been using Winchesters with their 3 position safety for so long I chose not to, I like my M70 actions. I also went with a 23.5" #3 fluted barrel instead of the lighter barrel they usually use on the lightweight 70. The rifle ended up at 7 lbs 4 oz with a Swaro Z5 3-18x44 and sling. It does have their brake on it. If you buy the rifle and scope from them they will find a load and send 2 turrets for different elevations with the completed package. I usually do my own load work, just finished building a load for a 25-06, but I figured this time I'd save my money and let them do it. The load they came up with is a good one and the turret is spot on from the practice shooting I did once I received the gun.

It's about perfect in my opinion and should be for the cost. I'm shooting 180gr Accubonds at 2956fps and can hit the 10" gong at 500yds very reliably. I took my muley this fall at 358yds and it worked perfectly. I like this weight, it's not to whippy when quickly targeting a running buck up close but not to heavy to pack. I could have certainly built a lighter rifle but this fits me and the recoil is very manageable. I developed a flinch years ago and while I have it fixed now I am careful not to give it a reason to return. I really considered going with a 7 mag or 264WM but I have a moose hunt coming up and decided to go with a bigger gun. It's more than needed for muleys, about right for elk, and enough for moose. If I'd have went with a lighter weight gun I'd likely have gone with a lower recoiling chambering also.

JWP58

WKR
836fb5144559e056f06065f75fe6fe5c.jpg
7dc7c44d326be2515a75631d6f64f116.jpg

I have used an old Ruger .270 for years @8.5#. I pick up the Ascent and had weaver rifles do a little extra work to it. The weight is rifle,scope,caps,sling and 4 rounds.

I think I can get lighter scope caps, but am very happy with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is weaver rifles located?

BRWNBR

WKR
Sir Isaac Newton might disagree with you.

Sir newton may not have been familiar with "felt" recoil.
But perhaps a lighter object in motion takes less energy to stop the motion? Making lighter rifles easier to stop from recoil??

KurtR

WKR
My rifle is 11 pounds i have other options but the confidence i have in it makes it hard to put down. When i pull the trigger animals die so i suffer a little more carrying it but i have been told i am hard headed alot.

GKPrice

Banned
I carry a 264 Win Mag that shoots great and can reach, but weighs 10.5lbs ready to hunt for antelope and whitetail, some plains muley hunts. For a mountain rifle I saved up and had Rifles Inc build me a 300 win mag in a modified version of their lightweight 70. I could have saved a considerable amount of weight, probably 3/4 of a pound, by going to a Remington action. I've been using Winchesters with their 3 position safety for so long I chose not to, I like my M70 actions. I also went with a 23.5" #3 fluted barrel instead of the lighter barrel they usually use on the lightweight 70. The rifle ended up at 7 lbs 4 oz with a Swaro Z5 3-18x44 and sling. It does have their brake on it. If you buy the rifle and scope from them they will find a load and send 2 turrets for different elevations with the completed package. I usually do my own load work, just finished building a load for a 25-06, but I figured this time I'd save my money and let them do it. The load they came up with is a good one and the turret is spot on from the practice shooting I did once I received the gun.

It's about perfect in my opinion and should be for the cost. I'm shooting 180gr Accubonds at 2956fps and can hit the 10" gong at 500yds very reliably. I took my muley this fall at 358yds and it worked perfectly. I like this weight, it's not to whippy when quickly targeting a running buck up close but not to heavy to pack. I could have certainly built a lighter rifle but this fits me and the recoil is very manageable. I developed a flinch years ago and while I have it fixed now I am careful not to give it a reason to return. I really considered going with a 7 mag or 264WM but I have a moose hunt coming up and decided to go with a bigger gun. It's more than needed for muleys, about right for elk, and enough for moose. If I'd have went with a lighter weight gun I'd likely have gone with a lower recoiling chambering also.

to my subjective thinking you now have the perfect rifle package

mcseal2

WKR
to my subjective thinking you now have the perfect rifle package

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with them. I have other, mostly smaller, rifles I use for varmints, practice, antlerless season, etc. These are the two that get pulled from the safe when it really matters though.

JigStick

WKR
My buddy / gunsmith builds some stupid light hunting rifles. My first "tactical style" rifle weighed over 16lbs with scope. Hunted with that for 1 year then left it for PRS matches. My next rifle was more a traditional hunting style gun on a McMillan stock and Stiller action with a #3 contour Krieger barrel, and it came in under 9lbs with my NF NXS compact scope. I was much happier, and thought I was GTG.

That was until I really started humping the rifle around. It did get heavy over time. I should have built what my buddy told me from the start. Dam are these light. Single shot actions on McMillan Edge stocks with #2 barrels or #3 barrels, coming in under 6lbs depending on the scope. Ive shot them in 28 Nosler and 300WSW and with the muzzle brake the kick wasn't bad. Ill definitely be going ultralight on my next rifle build.

OK here's the 280AI built on a Husqvarna H5000 action (mauser 98) 24" Benchmark Ultra Light barrel, Timney Trigger, Wildcat Stock, added a VX3 4.5-14x40 CDS and talleys, weighs 7lbs 2.8oz should be a nice hunting rifle. :cool:

Last edited: