My rifle weight

Just curious ... A common theme in all scopes mentioned was that they are all variable.. Now seriously ... How many of you are killing ( NOT wounding or missing ) game where you need to turn your scope up to 10-12 or 14 power...? Get a LWT. Rifle built and then put a spotting scope on it ? I guess I am out dated .. If I need more than a 4x scope then I need to get closer..

GKPrice

Banned
Just curious ... A common theme in all scopes mentioned was that they are all variable.. Now seriously ... How many of you are killing ( NOT wounding or missing ) game where you need to turn your scope up to 10-12 or 14 power...? Get a LWT. Rifle built and then put a spotting scope on it ? I guess I am out dated .. If I need more than a 4x scope then I need to get closer..

OH BOY !! just remember YOU said it ....... (for the record, my new Kimber Hunter '06 is gonna wear a Leupold 6x42 with a WIDE duplex - I'm good to 600 with that)

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Which 4x scope are you using?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my pair of Featherweights (.06 & .257) both sport Leupy FX-II 6x36 scopes- 9.7 ounces, both have the LR reticle as well

Of Course I remember I said it !... And I wouldn't have said that unless I meant it and practice it ! Now I use a Leupold FX-ii in 4x on my Ruger Ultra Lite . 270 , A 60's vintage Weaver k2.5 on my Savage 99F (.358 WIN ) , Redfield Widefield 4x on Ruger 77R ( 7x57)... If buying new I'd stay with Leupold .. But wouldn't be scared of the new Weavers ..

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I don't see someone putting a 2-7x33, a 3-9x40 or 3.5-10x40, a 4-12x40 even that weigh within just a few oz of a standard 4x as a big deal. I enjoy the 9x when working up loads at the range as well as a larger FOV I get when putting the scope at 2-3x when going into the brush than what I might get with a standard 4x. Not that I couldn't just as easily get it all done with a fixed 4x. I just look at it as the minimal weight pentaly of a lightweight variable gives more options. Heck I hunt still sometimes with a 2-7x28 which is a lighter than your Hubble 4x leupold ;)

That said I did just pick up a fx-ii 6x36 leupold for a 358 win so not opposed to the fixed power option either.

GKPrice

Banned
I think the 6x36 is a lot of scope for the money, probably what I should have gone with over the 6x42, remains to be seen - for me it's just the simplicity of a fixed and still have stellar optics - on your "new" 358 that'll be a great combo Luke - I also like the higher magnification from the bench but I can and do shoot very small groups (at 100 yd) with a 6x when forced to - when I was younger, stronger and acted like I wanted to get purnched in the face I shot a 338 Win Mag in a 7 lb rifle with 6x42 for years and did everything I needed to with it, that's why the new '06 (or 338/06) will be wearing the same, thinking "practice what I preach" might be smart ....

C Bow

WKR
I am building a Remington model 7 in 7mm 08 Improved 20 in barrel When finished I think I can get this gun just under 6lb and shoot 140 gr at 3,000 ft per second View attachment 47288

C Bow

WKR
Is it a 7mm 08 improved or just a 7mm o8 the reason I said 45gr is a starting point every rifle can be different in what it can stand

elkguide

WKR
Sorry. Missed the Improved.
From those that I have observed using 7 mm AI's, they are only getting 40 - 50 fps better than I do with their rifles. That isn't worth the hassle of fire forming brass to me. I love my 7-08's as well as my .284's, .280's and 7X57's all great 7mm calibers. If I were going to build up a lightweight, spitfire rifle, it would be in 7 WSM. Now there is a real speed demon.
As to the 4320 loads. Great powder for 7-08 but be careful as it can develop excessive pressure very fast.

GKPrice

Banned
Sorry. Missed the Improved.
From those that I have observed using 7 mm AI's, they are only getting 40 - 50 fps better than I do with their rifles. That isn't worth the hassle of fire forming brass to me. I love my 7-08's as well as my .284's, .280's and 7X57's all great 7mm calibers. If I were going to build up a lightweight, spitfire rifle, it would be in 7 WSM. Now there is a real speed demon.
As to the 4320 loads. Great powder for 7-08 but be careful as it can develop excessive pressure very fast.

shooting an Ackley improved cartridge has two schools of thought, case capacity and less stress on the case AND bolt face - most AI's are no hassle to fireform because you can carry on business as usual in the process, you'll give up a minimal amount of velocity, have a very accurate round usually, and come home with fireformed cases in your pocket - I've never had a "7mm-08AI but shot a lot with a buddy who did and although it didn't appear to be "magic" it performed very well .... damn ! now you've got me thinking ..... again

C Bow

WKR
I have shot a 308 for over 45 years I had it reamed to a 308 improved and have never needed more rifle. I have made a commitment to spend the next 5 years hunting the unlimited areas for sheep in Montana. Last year before I decided to build a new rifle which I have wanted to do for a while I spent a few days backpacking in the Bearthooths to see if my body could take it. I bought a Model seven and had Kampfield Customs do the metal work bought a jewell trigger and had rifle reamed to 7mm08 improved I will post some velocities later in the year I am confident I can get this rifle at 6lb with scope 3 rounds of ammo I started to buy a Kimber mountain assent but decided on the Model seven I am going to build 1 more rifle maybe a 260 Improved or a 6.5 284

GKPrice

Banned
I have shot a 308 for over 45 years I had it reamed to a 308 improved and have never needed more rifle. I have made a commitment to spend the next 5 years hunting the unlimited areas for sheep in Montana. Last year before I decided to build a new rifle which I have wanted to do for a while I spent a few days backpacking in the Bearthooths to see if my body could take it. I bought a Model seven and had Kampfield Customs do the metal work bought a jewell trigger and had rifle reamed to 7mm08 improved I will post some velocities later in the year I am confident I can get this rifle at 6lb with scope 3 rounds of ammo I started to buy a Kimber mountain assent but decided on the Model seven I am going to build 1 more rifle maybe a 260 Improved or a 6.5 284

that's good intel - I was told that the .308 is such an efficient case design that "improving" it wouldn't give much "if anything" which doesn't seem to be true in your instance and I am glad to hear of your success

4ester

WKR
Haha. My Sendero hunting rifle with fully loaded, bipod, rounds is somewhere around 13.5#. Working on one right now that's around 11#. I have a hard time leaving the heavy gun at home because every time I pull the trigger on it something dies.

I guess it's all relative. Wouldn't mind having an ultralight gun, but I also know they are harder to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
Haha. My Sendero hunting rifle with fully loaded, bipod, rounds is somewhere around 13.5#. Working on one right now that's around 11#. I have a hard time leaving the heavy gun at home because every time I pull the trigger on it something dies.

I guess it's all relative. Wouldn't mind having an ultralight gun, but I also know they are harder to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"somewhat" harder to shoot BUT so much easier to carry - but then "somebody" has to carry the anchors .....