My rifle weight

4ester

WKR
"somewhat" harder to shoot BUT so much easier to carry - but then "somebody" has to carry the anchors .....

I know with more field time one can get comfortable shooting the lighter guns. The little issues in form will show themselves.

Most of the time my SG pack carries the weight.

I will admit that it would be nice to cut a few more lbs from my setup. Thought the RBros, Fierce, and Cooper 92 felt pretty darn good in my hands at the Expo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
I know with more field time one can get comfortable shooting the lighter guns. The little issues in form will show themselves.

Most of the time my SG pack carries the weight.

I will admit that it would be nice to cut a few more lbs from my setup. Thought the RBros, Fierce, and Cooper 92 felt pretty darn good in my hands at the Expo.

each of us is different, some like to carry BIG rifles and some like to carry LIGHTWEIGHT rifles - don't know about "form"as I've seen poor such form used with guys shooting 10# rifles - I know from experience that no matter who is doing the shuffling, a 6 lb rifle quick to the shoulder will take you farther in the hunting world than a 10-11 lb and the trend proves that .... not reversing itself much that I've noticed - I'm not being critical as everyone has the right to do things as they see fit

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think once you start carry a light rifle, it's very hard to go back to something heavier

kcm2

WKR
At a reasonable price point, the Savage LW Hunter is a good choice. Pair that with a 2.5x8 Leupold, and you're in a sweet spot for a light, fast handling and accurate rifle. I'm a lefty, so I had to make my own LH rifle over the years. My 270 is 6.5 lbs, scoped and loaded. Never get tired of carrying it.

GKPrice

Banned
I've been all over the "small map" on favored rifles ... Kimbers and Tikkas mostly and I've come to a realization (for me)- I was in SW yesterday for a bit and it was quiet so I was handling a couple of rifles, the Tikka CTR jumped out at me not for weight but for stock design, when I got home I grabbed a Montana and handled it for a while and realized that for me a "Dakota style" stock with the long open grip is not for me - it's a little thing that I've never singled out openly before but it's mainly why I prefer the Tikka and I REALLY like the CTR grip, if it was a bit slimmer it'd feel custom made for "ME" - I guess I'm just slow on the uptake sometimes but I'm just not a Kimber Montana fan anymore (a few reasons)none if which are "design of the action" - Damn !! the more I read here the more expensive it gets ......

At a reasonable price point, the Savage LW Hunter is a good choice. Pair that with a 2.5x8 Leupold, and you're in a sweet spot for a light, fast handling and accurate rifle. I'm a lefty, so I had to make my own LH rifle over the years. My 270 is 6.5 lbs, scoped and loaded. Never get tired of carrying it.

I went the same route. I have a 7mm-08. I put a Bettin Custom Guns stock (all purpose hunter) on it and Trijicon Accupoint (which I'll be swapping out). I'm right at 6.4# all up. The Betting stocks have gone up since I got it, but man is it a NICE setup for me.

Very nice! You got me beat....but not by much.
e35b9080ac1a9fd1ebcf94468be091ef.jpg

C Bow

WKR
But you are still young and in good shape I am an old man that just LUCKY to be here I am going to change the scope and save about 4 more ounces

I think you have me confused with someone much younger, in much better shape, and way better looking than myself. Actually, probably not better looking, but much younger and in better shape.

cf8cfe8132f118789dc056e681c35f9a.jpg

My rifle I take while I'm watching sheep. Might as well have something light strapped to your back as you watch 7/8 rams year after year on long, solo backcountry hunts

Kimber Adirondack 6.5 Creedmoor.

warrant

WKR
My X Bolt 7 Mag comes in at 8 pounds with a Diamondback HP scope and talley mounts. Seems like the perfect weight no to heavy, not to light

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Some of the ones we use.

Just under 5 pound 10 oz .308 win (my wife's):
3z5EYU3.jpg

6 pound 3 oz long action 338-06 with a 17 oz scope on it:
sPoPTjJ.jpg

A 4 pound 7 oz 358 win scoped:
BabSxqQ.jpg

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Luke, that .358 sure is a nice light rifle. You gotta carry more than 3 rounds next time so that we all can shoot it:cool:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke, that .358 sure is a nice light rifle. You gotta carry more than 3 rounds next time so that we all can shoot it:cool:

Yeah that was my bad. I brought 50 rounds and had them in the truck when we started but forgot to put them in my pack before we left. Which sucks cause 35 of them were the sub sonic ones that are about like 22 mag in recoil and 15 of them were the full house loads. Would have been fun at the lake for everyone to get to do a bit of plinking with it. Only realized about the time I was unpacking my raft at 7 mile lake which was about 8 miles too late. ;)